Privacy, Google and my.secondlife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

profiles are web based ..i don't know if you can hide them..you can limit things on your settings but i am not certain that you can hide it from google..

i'm sure someone will come along with a better answer for you..this is about as much as i have an idea on them..i know i really didn't like them going web based..i liked them staying inworld more myself as well..

TuaLeT Rivera wrote:

Hi Darren, thanks for your response.

I've tried that, but Google keeps finding me... well not me, my partner. Now nobody can see anything more than her name, but... look at this

Those are her actual picks... WTF!!

Oh snap! Never seen that.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

TuaLeT Rivera wrote:

I've tried that, but Google keeps finding me... well not me, my partner. Now nobody can see anything more than her name, but... look at this

Oh snap! Never seen that.

I first became aware that the profile access via UUID was still around in this old thread:

(Where Void explained that it has uses via scripts that the 'web' profile doesn't work for.)

Oh cool, I found mine

http://world.secondlife.com/resident/1b88fc61-736f-4474-921c-7fb6e91ab055

TuaLeT Rivera wrote:

i thought those were the old web based profiles..

DaiUretic wrote:

Does your partner have something to hide then?

Dai

We all have something to hide. If you don't think so, why don't you post your credit card information? Your phone number?

And if you have nothing to hide, does that mean you have no curtains or shades on the windows of your home? Do you close the door of the bathroom when you're relieving yourself? Are you naked everywhere you go? Do you always and everywhere have your name, address, and other info clearly visible, so that anyone and everyone can see who you are and where you live?

If you're leaving your home and a stranger asks where you're going and how long you'll be away, do you respond truthfully in a clear loud voice?

If you don't do all that, then you have something to hide -- which is good, normal, and civilized.

After you figure all that out.....you're going to need to come back here, and ask that your thread get deleted, and be careful not to ask any more important questions in forum again, as the google search will pick up your name tonight, and you'll be back in there again, with this thread.

Hopefully, you didn't just combine your google plus name with your SL name and screw all that up, and hopefully this thread will not be long with a ton of hits, that keeps it on that front page forever.

If someone wants to find and bother you on the web, from SL....they will.  And if someone wants to find and bother you in SL, from the web....they will.  You really don't have privacy.  This is the Internet.

Evidently you've not been reading much about google and privacy lately?  You might want to do that.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

I was wondering if my.secondlife.com had a seach engines privacy configuration page, as facebook has (if you search for "tualet rivera facebook" on google, you will not find me... well at least my profile page =S). But don't.

Google private policy has nothing to do here, it's a LL matter. They need to improve privacy configuration, as well as delete old web based profile pages.

Hugs

Ossian wrote:

DaiUretic wrote:

Does your partner have something to hide then?

Dai

We all have something to hide. If you don't think so, why don't you post your credit card information? Your phone number?

And if you have nothing to hide, does that mean you have no curtains or shades on the windows of your home? Do you close the door of the bathroom when you're relieving yourself? Are you naked everywhere you go? Do you always and everywhere have your name, address, and other info clearly visible, so that anyone and everyone can see who you are and where you live?

If you're leaving your home and a stranger asks where you're going and how long you'll be away, do you respond truthfully in a clear loud voice?

If you don't do all that, then you have something to hide -- which is good, normal, and civilized.

I don't have a credit card or a phone. I have no curtains or shades, much less a home. I don't have a bathroom, and never need to relieve myself. I am naked occasionally, intentionally or accidentally, but it never bothers me. My name is attached to every post but I have no address or other information, although I might put some lying drivel in my profile at some point. Everyone can see who I am, and those who read the forums know I live here. Since I don't have a home, I can't leave it, so if a stranger asks where I am going and how long I'll be away it doesn't matter, so I may or may not respond, and it may or may not be the truth, and I may shout or whisper, but will probably just speak normally.

So no, I have nothing to hide. Does that make me bad, abnormal and uncivilised?

In SL?

Dai

Yes, and it works, nobody outside SL can see nothing that i marked as "Second Life", but they can see that i'm on Second Life, cause google found me. As an example, Facebook lets you choose if you want to be found on google or not. Obviously, if you point your web browser to http://www.facebook.com/tualet.rivera as if you point it to http://my.secondlife.com/tualet.rivera, you can see my FB/SL profile.

Hugs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.