SL is drama, period.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found internet/text acronyms are evolving beyond my ability to keep up now. I was having an msn conversation with my 16 year old nephew recently and I didn't have a clue what he was going on about half the time. Thankfully I have unrbandictionary.com to fall back on in emergencies, however, I'm only in my mid 30's now, i'm worried that in 10 years time I will have completely lost the ability to communicate with anyone born in the 21st Century.

Yes they are, and most here are selective about pet hates so blow it out off all proportions, you can ask the same question on a site full of older people and they will have a good laugh with it and not just see one side, so shows the age of a lot that comment here.

i was reading a article, cant remember where exactly now, but was about txtspk. some tasmanian high school i think where they decide that their students could use their phones in the school. not in the classroom, but on school grounds. most the parents were supportive bc it allow their children to stay in contact with them. like if their plans for after school changed. practical things like that

the school also announce that they were going to relax the standard of writing to allow the use of txtspk in assignments and exams, where the meaning was clear to the marker and as appropriate

school principal also say that txtspk is part of the common language of the student body and the school accept this. that the objective of teaching is to impart knowledge to the students and guide them in their understanding. that the language of teaching had little, if anything, to do with the natural language or dialect used (edit: so long as it was commonly understood]

he also point out that this would not apply in english language assignments bc those assignments are studies in classical english. same way as french, latin, japanese classes etc  and the language conventions for each would still apply 

was massive uproar from the purists and traditionalists. not just in this school but in every other school where the faculty and board have done this

endz of teh worldz as we no it. yes thats true. but not for the students. like u say :)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Oddly, I don't see this drama thing at all inworld in my experience of SL.

I find SL forums to be high drama, but SL itself to be very low drama. Almost free of it.

Some people have very negative attitudes: selfish, self-focused, jealous, narcissistic, iconoclastic, l
ibertarian - those kinds of 'me first and community can die'
mentalities tend to wrap them up in a lot of problems when they find other people have needs, and those needs are either not trying to take advantage of others - or trying to take advantage of them. I.e.: The only thing more drama brewing than a narcissist meeting a community minded person is one facing off against someone just like them.

I either keep to myself, or socialize with like community-thinkers who instinctively consider the feelings of those around them - such people tend to not get into these problems.

By contrast, being of strong opinion, on places like forums I magent onto folks who have 'my way', 'I'm better', or other selfish mentalities and end up with conflicts in such places. But inworld and in RL, pretty smooth sailing.

Pussycat, I'm a Libertarian, and I'll compare my community contributions to yours in RL & SL anyday!  You want to meet so we can list them?  

Why do you persist in making such negative insulting comments about other people and entire groups of people you don't even know?   

This is a huge mistake if they are not also teaching proper spelling and grammar.  There are many occupations that affect the well being of people which depend on clear and unequivocal communication.  What this will do is force these students to have to be re-educated should they wind up in a career that requires such, or prevent them from having such a career.   

these schools are not teaching txtspk, i not mean to give that impression. the schools accept tho that txtspk is part of the common language. in english lessons, which include spelling and grammar the students do have to learn them formally. same in other disciplines like biology or say chemistry. students not be able to write txtspk for formal latin names or invent their own periodic table sysmbols

what the school is saying is that if a student writes u instead if you, or "mary lolled" instead of "mary laughed loudly" then the marker is not going to mark them down for that. if the student write "uuu" then while that is actual understandable by young ppl in some circles when they read that, it is usual incomprehensible to most adults marking the paper, so  will get marked down. it means: what did you say that for, are you useless or something

technology. like in the way mobile phones are made, is more responsible for txtspk than young ppl i think. teens and that like to have their own ways and codes. always have. having to thumb the phone to communicate just reinforces these ways and makes easier for them to invent stuff

interesting thing is that some of the newer phones now have autocorrection of txtspk and teens are actual turning that feature on when messaging older ppl. type in txtspk and transmit longhand. so is not all hope lost for grandma on other end

whats even more cool is that grandma is getting them phones now also. and they learning really quick how to type txtspk as well but transmit longhand. is quite fun to sit with them sometimes and they tell stories about the longtime ago when they were young and worked in the shorthand typing and steno pools before the computers come. is pretty cool to hear about all them times. some them grandmas want steno and shorthand keypad phones as well now (:

common english a very adaptable language and is very compressible. the information age affecting this big time. lots of names and whole phrases get acronymed. the acroymns soon get used as words. i talked to a language expert about this one time. she said was natural for us to do. is accelerating this process because is so much information available now. we are mentally processing it faster than earlier generations. acronyms and txtspk and the use of them is manifestation of this and quite a normal response she said. shorter spellings like u instead of you, lol instead of laughs out loud etc means more information can be compressed into a shorter spacetime, and we do that to deal with the massive volumes of information that we now exposed to, both mentally and communicatively

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Pussycat, I'm a Libertarian, and I'll compare my community contributions to yours in RL & SL anyday!  You want to meet so we can list them?  

Why do you persist in making such negative insulting comments about other people and entire groups of people you don't even know?   

Read the platform for libertarians.

All about self interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism

The consequences of such a system would be brutal in the loss of rights for weaker parties, a wholescale destruction of social systems and environment when a 'tragedy of the commons' kicked in and those most able to exploit took all for themselves.

Everytime you see these arguments pop up in forums it involves someone thinking from the 'my way and my personal benefits must outweigh a larger group' perspective. That sort os narcassism breeds 'drama' when it faces off against a group.

In almost every one of these forums drama arguments, there's a libertarian on one side of the argument, or both...

Seeing an attack against a political ideology and a generalized calling out against people manifesting it as a personal attack is almost endemic of the problem of that ideology itself - everything is percieved as about them.

Libertarian by its definitions, is the philosophy of the predator, not the prey.

So to toss this back from a personal angle... :) As a racial minority, from a disadvantaged class background, I'm from a class of people who have a history telling us exactly what happens when government is too weak in the face of 'personal actors' allowing the "strong" to control. You need good solid protections for disadvantaged people, animals, environment, businesses, etc... even protections to protect smaller societies / nations / tribes against larger ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.