And the award for best laptop for Second Life game play goes TOoO ... ( you decide )

Chutnie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't care how much it costs... Okay, maybe I do. 1,000 dollars the most, if under that price then GREAT! :)

I'm looking for the best laptop for Second Life ( obviously ), Im looking for alittle beyond the minimume requirements.

I want smooth movements, clear graphics, the way second life is suppose to be look! :)

I have my eyes on this laptop but, I'm not sure if it's quite right.. can you tell me?

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644767499

If Im much better off with something else please tell me or link me to what you'd recomend.. thank you! 

5 answers to this question

Hello Chutnie and welcome to SL Forums. If you need something only for SL it is preferable to build a tower than to buy a laptop. However if you want a laptop this one looks good for me and you can run the application without problem in High Graphics. Ultra graphics is possible with an Nvidia GT540M, a fast middle class graphics card for laptops (is better than 520M) but this way you will overload your laptop and your fps will be decreased. Remember you need at least 15 fps in order for your avatar to run smoothly.

That one looks pretty good, although I am not generally a great fan of VAIO laptops.  Sony tends to fill them with all sorts of junkware.  I've been very happy with my ASUS laptop...it's three years old and still runs SL very well. 

But the BEST choice is a desktop PC, unless you just HAVE to have the laptop for other reasons.  You can have a bigger monitor, or monitors, you can run multiple graphics cards, and for a given level of performance, you will always pay less for the desktop than for the laptop.

If you are into the techie details read the LONG article: How To get a Faster Second Life.

The Laptop you are looking at uses the i7 Qaud Core CPU. That is about the best you can get. There is a six core i7 that may be better but I'm not sure you would see a noticable improvement in SL performance by going from 4 to 6 cores. May be in the future as SL is upgraded. The Lab is adding more multitreaded code.

On memory, SL uses around 1mb. If you look at How Fast is Your Viewer? - Second Life you will see those with 4mb and more have better SL performance. If your budget will stand it get 8mb.

The nVidia 540 w/1gb of DDR is the better video card. With 1gn of video ram SL can use 512mb. This means you will have more textures rendered in the cache and when you spin you avatar in a 360 you'll see less 're-rendering' of textures behind you.

The 520 is a good card too. Notice the cards and performance people got with x20 and x40 cardds. The 5 in 520 denotes the latest generation of nVidia cards. The 20 and 40 denote how much horse power the card has. Bigger is better.

It's 8 months later, and now I'm in the market for the same thing.  I've moved onto a sailboat so my big tower really does have to go.  I'm figuring it should have an Intel i7 CPU, but what else is really critical?

ALSO:  one thing I absolutely want to be able to do is plug in a monitor, and have the two function independently.  (That is, drag windows from one to the other and have them run at two different resolutions.)  Even though it's a boat, I still get to have a flatscreen bolted to the table and it's great to have SL on one and do actual work on the other.  Someone told me that as long as a laptop has an HDMI output, it will do this, but I've never had that confirmed.

Any new laptops out there that I should be looking at?  I could go up to $1500 if I have to; I'll have this machine a long time.

i personly am using a Toshiba sattleite pro, with fiber optic internet, its a good  machine 6 gig ram, and is more than good enoug, just make sure your graphics card is a good one.

Chutnie wrote:

I don't care how much it costs... Okay, maybe I do. 1,000 dollars the most, if under that price then GREAT!
:)

I'm looking for the best laptop for Second Life ( obviously ), Im looking for alittle beyond the minimume requirements.

I want smooth movements, clear graphics, the way second life is suppose to be look!
:)

I have my eyes on this laptop but, I'm not sure if it's quite right.. can you tell me?

If Im much better off with something else please tell me or link me to what you'd recomend.. thank you! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.