Mesh stairs?

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I've finally decided to get some mesh stuff and have been looking on marketplace for Mesh stairs.

You know, a pack of several different sizes, shapes, with and without bannisters or railings... but there isn't much.

Not what I'm looking for anyway.

It seems to be THE item to start building for mesh creators, relatively easy (I think), wanted, no needed by just about everyone, etc.

Maybe theres a shop inworld I don't know about yet?

Or maybe it is hidden on marketplace under a different search word?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Coincidentally, I was looking for such things just two days ago.  When I searched Marketplace for "mesh AND stair" I got a pile of crap (it's Marketplace; what else would one expect?), but buried under the usual pages of garbage I found a steps-only stair kit.  That of course leaves all the texturing* and railings to be done separately, and that may not be what you're looking for, but it was fine for my application.

Being so simple, these would have taken just a few minutes in Blender, but this particular merchant had an in-world store, so why not support her?  Unfortunately, the mesh items weren't rezzed in the store, just in a vendor box.  That made me nervous, but they were cheap enough I took a chance.

*This model uses only one material--that is, one "side" or "face" in the Mesh.  That's unnecessarily simplistic, but I needed a straight-up replacement for a sculpt that had a similar UV map and--of course--only one side.

Steps are quite straight forward to make in Blender, there are a couple of techniques that can be used but making stairs isn't too tricky.

Texturing on the other hand is a pain, I suppose you could in theory just texture the first step in Blender , that shouldn't be too bad and then use the array modifier.

I like Blender a lot, and it's fun to make things with but what gives me the heebie geebies is thinking about how others are going to want to texture the item.

This is one area where sculpties can deliver a 1-prim solution that will look just as good, especially if made using 'Generate' - an inworld sculpty making tool that lets the sculpty be textured using planar.

At least for more simplistic looking stairs.

For the more complex operations with banisters and such - a hybrid sculpty (for the steps) and mesh (for the railing) might be best.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

This is one area where sculpties can deliver a 1-prim solution that will look just as good, 

This probably explains why it's so hard to find decent Mesh stairs: it's all been solved already by sculpties.

Except that recent changes -- notably, Land Impact calculations, together with some script functions that work only with Convex Hull physics -- prohibitively penalize sculpties that use such scripts.  That's why I needed Mesh stairs in the first place: my sculpty stairs looked just fine, but they were using up a parcel's worth of Land Impact.

• 2 weeks later...

The main reason I am looking for good mesh stairs is that it would be possible to make good looking ones dat only use 1 or 2 prims for a stairs with textures on different sides and bannisters or nicely detailed railings on both sides.

So better looking stairs with railings, both sides, less prims.

I found one that was really nice but (of course) made for large avatars and once you start changing the size suddenly the railings make no more sense, etc.

Not much choice out there yet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.