Abandoned land pricing

Princess Ivory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a large parcel for sale that I continued to drop the price on, all the way down to L$0.65 per sqm, before finally abandoning it. 48 hours later, Gov Linden has it for sale for $L1 per sqm. If I couldn't get that much, what makes the Lindens think they can? I advertised it in two forums, etc. Went to far more work to sell it than the Lindens will.

Frustrating - just needed to vent.

Understanding your need to vent.

And I agree with Charolotte - LL can afford to have a whole bunch of abandoned land set for sale for 1L$.  This really is still in an experimental stage though, because until very recently, as you no doubt know, abandoned land wasn't automatically set up for resale, and the older abandoned parcels still just lay waste all around us on the mainland.

Do you remember the 'good old days' where we could tease the landbots, reducing the price per sq m little by little until a landbot would come in and claim it?  I remember having 3 of the little blighters hovering in the vicinity, and then I decided not to sell it after all.

Pathetic of me, I know, but it was raining outdoors and I felt like doing something mind-numbingly dull in that moment.

Here's hoping you're free from the burden of land now and can enjoy working on other projects inworld, or just watching others for a while.

Essentially LLs has put a market -cap- on the price of 'bad land' - no more than 1L/sqm.

You want to sell bad land, you have to go lower.

What bad land is can vary a lot in definition - even to include: the right person hasn't seen it yet.

- But if your cut is odd, you have blightly neighbors, you have low traffic, you have too high traffic of a neighbor, or whatever...

Maybe it would be better for me to say...

They've put a cap on non-special land (I'd say non-premium but premium has a special meaning in SL). Any land that doesn't have some special reason for being 'great' - is going to be unable to sell for more than 1L/sqm.

So what's great?

Water lot, protected lot, roadside lot, neighbors who build will care (good looking lots), cliffside lot, low-traffic neighbors, no breedables among neighbors, no low-sky builds within 256m, no script-hogs, etc...

- and combinations of these drive it up even more.

Flat land is -very popular- among newbies, but also very common and easy to turn other land into flat; so its not really a way to drive up price so much as a way to attract a buyer who is not as skilled in building... in other words: its best to live away from flat land, unless you yourself own -ALL- flatland within 256m.

(conversly, I've seen a recent spate of people buying cliff lots and rezzing flat prims at the top height, with or without putting a foundation under it half the time... and the rezzing a prefab there).

If you want out of a lot right away, you've got to price as if it was bad land, even if its good. Bots are showing up right now at around 0.1L/sqm or slightly less... I have seen a landbot buy a lot from me at that price, and then turn around and abandon it. That's why they won't buy until its that low. At that price, they can shrug off a loss.

(ps the reason Zindra has not yet fallen victim to this new pricing is that it is small enough that a handful of land barons have managed to buy up -ALL- of the land that would otherwise be abandoned, and are holding it in reserve and not for sale - if you want that land, you can get it, but you've got to IM them and then accept their idea of a good price, which will be a price that factors in all the land they're holding onto...).

• 2 months later...

LL put themselves in own trap - tossing around abandoned land they filled market with TONS of resellers who dropped land prices drastically down so i have fun now watching Auctions. Land price on auction starts from 250 for 512 Moderate. HA HA HA - i can buy it in-world for 100 ld, dudes!  Zindra is still fighting with this CRAZY low prices but will also fall soon. I bought my land for 5ld/sqm fighting for it and was sure its low price. Now i try to sell it for 4.5 and I CANT! cos cheap resellers sell land for 3! its a bit.... hmm... silly, for sure. Though i dont mind if i buy land for cheap price but when i need to swap it and i stuck with sale trying to justify even a bit tier i paid for the year... (33000ldx12 months.....................) If Linden Lab keeps it going why they just dont give all land for free then!?!?!?!?!?!?!?$!?!?!?!? allowing to real hungry sharks to make money on our needs?!?!?!?!??!?! situation is really dull. i cant sell land, i dont want to pay tier => i abandon => reseller buys it for 1 ld and sells it to me again for 3 ld. its all only makes me think Linden Lab supports speculations. The fun is these resellers know next minute that abandoned land is set for sale in-world and buy it. how they do it that fast? so it makes me also think Linden Lab supports speculations not by accident. You may call me paranoid but i dont want to make deals with mainland anymore cos its not that transparent, weird and unfair.

"Large Parcel" may be the problem.

I was lucky to pick up a 512 sq,m, parcel in the right place, more or less. That's at the free-with-premium level, and there can be a lot more customers for small parcels. If they're not paying Tier, you might be able to sell at a higher price because of that.

Trouble is, parcel sizes have a limited choice of dimensions to be in whole numbers of metres.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.