Sign in to follow this  
SeekWisdon Resident

helping a friend install a sex bed

I'm on my 3rd real day of using SL despite having signed up about a year ago. A friend has a sex bed that doesn't make poseballs and therefore can't be used for anything but to sit on, which seems to me like it defeats the purpose of calling it a sex bed.

Any ideas on what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Has he got a description togther with the bed? A notecard in the same folder as the bed is?

I know that there are quite many furnitureobjects which doesn't use poseballs at all.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Has he got a description togther with the bed? A notecard in the same folder as the bed is?

I know that there are quite many furnitureobjects which doesn't use poseballs at all.

The bed was supposed to be "ready to use" when purchased and just placed in the linden home from inventory. If no poseball is used, what would be the method of using it? There seems to be no HUD, either. Look at me using terms of which I don't know the meaning!!

Oh and an addendum, a pillow pile that is also supposed to be for sex appears not to work (same exact thing as the bed - you can sit on it just great, but that's about it).  Could it be a setting related to the land that is keeping sex from working on furniture? Sex apparently works in the shower, and poseballs do seem to appear and function there.

Check the land settings!

Sometimes balls don't appear cause there is either a rezz restriction, an object entry restriction or a build restriction.
If the land is group owned also make sure the bed is rezzed with the group tag 

I may not be an expert for how to use a sexbed (as far as you need two people for it) :D But I have a cute chair shaped like a big fluffy giraffe which doesn't use poseballs either. I sit on it and use a menu wiith the poses included that pops up when I touch the chair. It can be a little tricky sometimes with beds...but there should be also a part of it which you can touch for getting a menu.

Aurelia Lionheart wrote:

Check the land settings!

Sometimes balls don't appear cause there is either a rezz restriction, an object entry restriction or a build restriction.

If the land is group owned also make sure the bed is rezzed with the group tag 

Not group owned, just a free linden home for upgrading to premium.

Pretty sure the pillow pile and bed are supposed to use poseballs and the weird thing is the shower ones appear to work as expected.

Would rezzing outfits work if there were a rezz restriction? Can rezz and open outfits just fine there. Object entry and build restrictions are beyond my comprehension at the moment.

Thanks for responding :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Is it your home or his?

If it's yours and he put he's bed in there then it might be indeed be some land restrictions. Maybe you have him permission to rezz the bed but not to do object entry. When a bed makes it's poseballs appear it's not really rezzing, it's object entry.

Do you have enough prims left for rezzing stuff? 2 poseballs is 2 extra prims. If you are up to your limit they won't appear

If this problem occurs in his own home, I dunno.. it could be several things: 
Most sex beds do however have the options to make the balls invisible. Check the menu which appears when you click the bed and look for either Hide or Invisible. 

Did you try restarting the bed using the menu?

Have you tried the "touch" option to see if it brings up a menu to use?

ETA:  Oops, should have read further down...Syo beat me to the suggestion :)

Aurelia Lionheart wrote:

Is it your home or his?

If it's yours and he put he's bed in there then it might be indeed be some land restrictions. Maybe you have him permission to rezz the bed but not to do object entry. When a bed makes it's poseballs appear it's not really rezzing, it's object entry.

Do you have enough prims left for rezzing stuff? 2 poseballs is 2 extra prims. If you are up to your limit they won't appear

If this problem occurs in his own home, I dunno.. it could be several things: 

Most sex beds do however have the options to make the balls invisible. Check the menu which appears when you click the bed and look for either Hide or Invisible. 

Did you try restarting the bed using the menu?

It's not my home as I haven't upgraded to premium.  The shower can make poseballs so the prim limit and object entry settings might not be the issue. The bed and pillow pile might be making hidden or invisible poseballs, but since I'm not the owner I bet I can't check that but can definitely pass that along.

Thanks again to you both for your help :smileyhappy:

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Have you tried the "touch" option to see if it brings up a menu to use?

ETA:  Oops, should have read further down...Syo beat me to the suggestion
:)

The touch option seems not to work, and it's my understanding the demo didn't work that way, generating poseballs instead (I wasn't there, so I have no clue).

Could  you or your friend please select the bed using the edit tool (Control+3), look at the "contents" tab and somehow make and post a screenshot of what you see there?   If I know what sort of system it's using,  I can probably help.

If you don't see anything in the contents tab, then try clicking on individual prims -- the pillows, maybe, or the the bedcover -- and see what happens.   

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Could  you or your friend please select the bed using the edit tool (Control+3), look at the "contents" tab and somehow make and post a screenshot of what you see there?   If I know what sort of system it's using,  I can probably help.

If you don't see anything in the contents tab, then try clicking on individual prims -- the pillows, maybe, or the the bedcover -- and see what happens.   

Oooooooooh.  Will do. 

Thank you for the suggestion. It hadn't even crossed my mind that I could do that :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I'm not the owner of either object but when I look in the content tab on the pillow pile I see stuff.  I can't find the right prim on the bed as the contents folder opens but is empty.  The pillow pile does actually bring up a HUD when I use "touch" and clicking a button on it brings up white swirling but nothing happens.

Here's three shots of what's in contents on the pillow pile.  From searching knowledge base, I've read some about MLP and it's widespread use in this type of application, so I recognized that in the list.

pillow pile contents ball.JPG

pillow pile contents cards.JPG

pillow pile contents MLP tools.JPG

Thanks.   That's certainly MLPV, and at least now we know which prim to touch to bring up the menu to rez stuff -- the pillows.

There's several reasons I can think of why you wouldn't be able to use the menu.    Let's try to dispose of the simplest ones first.  

Have your friend check that it's set to the same land group as the shower and the other items that rez stuff.   If it's not, have your friend remedy that (on the General tab of the object in the edit menu).

Once you've checked that, have your friend select the pillow pile containing the scripts and use Build>Scripts>Reset Scripts.   Once it's finished doing that, have your friend -- the owner -- touch the pillow pile.   It should whisper (so you can see it) "MLPV2 Starting, please wait," while spamming your friend senseless, with stuff only he or she can see, as it checks the animations and stuff.

Then, when it's finished doing that, have your friend click the pillows to bring up the menu and see if it's possible to rez stuff.   If it is, then see if you can.  If it turns out your friend can but you can't, your friend will need to bring up the menu, click the options button, and click the MenuUsers button a few times.   It cycles through Owner Only, Group, and All (saying, in chat where only the owner can see, what option is selected).

Try that, and if it doesn't work, I'll try to think what else it might be.

Innula, thanks so much for the detailed instructions.  It looks like my friend was ripped off on the Roya-Bed since it has nothing on the content tab regardless who looks.

As for the land group, is that the same as the group field on the general tab?

Yes.. set the group field in the general tap to whatever land group the parcel is set to (assuming your friend has made one, which is advisable for Linden homes if your friend wants other people to be able to run scripts and rez things there).

Before assuming that your friend was ripped off on the bed, do Edit Linked Parts and start inspecting the contents of the various component prims in the bed.   I think that the maker has probably set it up with the scripts and animations in a child prim, not the root prim of the bed itself.    If that's the case, you (or your friend) need to click that particular prim to bring up the menu -- it will probably be in the bedcover or pillows or somewhere easily accessible.   You might need to do the business with resetting scripts and things to get it to work.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yes.. set the group field in the general tap to whatever land group the parcel is set to (assuming your friend has made one, which is advisable for Linden homes if your friend wants other people to be able to run scripts and rez things there).

Before assuming that your friend was ripped off on the bed, do Edit Linked Parts and start inspecting the contents of the various component prims in the bed.   I think that the maker has probably set it up with the scripts and animations in a child prim, not the root prim of the bed itself.    If that's the case, you (or your friend) need to click that particular prim to bring up the menu -- it will probably be in the bedcover or pillows or somewhere easily accessible.   You might need to do the business with resetting scripts and things to get it to work.

Right right right you are all around.  Reset/restarting the scripts for both objects was all that was required.  You rock!

lol actually looks like an object from us, telling from the contents ..

sorry to jump in late here!

we try to come across friendy in the listing, notecards and in our profiles saying that you can IM us anytime!

still an option for the future :)

tell your friend thank you for the purchase, i hope you both enjoy the pillow pile muchos

*waves