Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shelli Teebrook

Please Explain..............

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

To my horror when I went to log into today I got a message "you can not log into second life from this computer" so I then tried to log in on my lap top same thing !!! Have I been banned ?? I know I havent behaved in any way, shape or form that would warrent a ban of any kind, no-one else uses my computer or internet. I have filed a ticket but no response yet. I have been a SL resident since 2007 and I know I have never behaved in a manor that would get me banned. what could possibly be the cuase of this Banning..............It would be very helpful if in these situations LL advised the person being banned and the reason why and lenght of time the ban stands for. Also gving them a chance to answer to the said claim that caused the ban. I have over a couple of thopusand  RL dollars invested in meeroos and am at my wits end at the prospect of loosing this investment simply because I cant log in. Can anyone offer any advise , I am in australia so i cant just pick up the phone and call LL ::matte-motes-crying:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Shelli. From http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109

"You cannot log into Second Life from this location
This error message may also appear as:

•Login failed.
•Second Life cannot be accessed from this computer.
These messages generally indicate you have been blocked from the Second Life servers by Linden Lab as the result of:

•Documented cases of fraud
•Use of Second Life by a minor
•Exceptionally flagrant abuse activity

Note that someone else in your household may be responsible for this activity, not necessariliy with your account. 

If you believe that this is an error, submit a support ticket via the support portal. To help customer support determine what block has been placed and why, include in the ticket your Second Life account name and any Second Life accounts that log in from your location".

If LL banned you, you have recieved a mail explaining why. Check out your spam folder also. Your account may also have been put on hold by mistake. The only who can take your account off hold again is Linden Lab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been banned from 1 hour to a month, 8 times, each time you get a box tell you the date and time you can log on, also you get an email explaining, all my fights were with lindens and competitors, so not for abuse as such but for saying things to lindens that they found offensive, I was very rude to them, very rude, so don't really blame them but they think I am a nut anyway so don't matter.

But the message you got is more like your IP has been banned, the only people i know that that happened to used banned viewers for copying or copyright stuff or contant greifing, you dont sound a greifer to me so can only think its a copyright issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Shelli Teebrook wrote:

Thank you , I will go read , my message was the" second life can not by accessed from this computer"

 

You are welcome, Shelli and good luck !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Phoenix,  I have never copied anything ...........I wouldnt even  know how if I did want to ............and no i am not a griefer ...I am really baffled as to why this happened ...........I might try re-starting my modem as someone suggested in another thread I read Thank you for responding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sighs a sigh of relief ................tried the turning off of modem shutting down computer and re-starting ..............and it worked YAY !!! I am back inworld !!! Thank you both for your feed back !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes its a case of mistaken identity....or they might blocked a series of Mac addresses in which you were accidentally captured.

I had the mistaken identity ban in 2007...which lasted nearly a week. I had to email Phillip Rosedale twice to finally get it resolved. (the 2nd email wasn't so polite!). I never got an apology or even an adequate reason....which is what narked me the most.

My IP number or Mac address ebing blocked, occured on 3 different occasions during early 2010 (space of 2 months)....there was some reason for it, but it was again due to LL errors. This time they did apologise on each occasion ...and took less than a day to sort out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LL can ban anyone for any reason or for no reason at all.

This being the case, spend NO money on SL or any other LL product. That way, if they ban you, it's no big deal.

Jeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


JeanneAnne wrote:

LL can ban anyone for any reason or for no reason at all.

This being the case, spend NO money on SL or any other LL product. That way, if they ban you, it's no big deal.

Jeanne

If that were to be replicated by all SL residents.....there wouldn't be a Second Life Grid.

Someone is paying the Sim or Land tiers, so that you enjoy your Second Life....i suppose you could confine yourself to just Linden owned land on Mainland, but you'll soon get bored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rene Erlanger wrote:


JeanneAnne wrote:

LL can ban anyone for any reason or for no reason at all.

This being the case, spend NO money on SL or any other LL product. That way, if they ban you, it's no big deal.

Jeanne

If that were to be replicated by all SL residents.....there wouldn't be a Second Life Grid.

Someone is paying the Sim or Land tiers, so that you enjoy your Second Life....i suppose you could confine yourself to just Linden owned land on Mainland, but you'll soon get bored.

Better still, don't even download the viewer and login, don't even come to these forums it's all full of subversive advertising by these dark and evil overlords of virtual reality.  OMG I just realised my ISP is charging me even for writing this post, this is outrageous I'm turning my modem off this very mome................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rene Erlanger wrote:


JeanneAnne wrote:

LL can ban anyone for any reason or for no reason at all.

This being the case, spend NO money on SL or any other LL product. That way, if they ban you, it's no big deal.

Jeanne

If that were to be replicated by all SL residents.....there wouldn't be a Second Life Grid.

Someone is paying the Sim or Land tiers, so that you enjoy your Second Life....i suppose you could confine yourself to just Linden owned land on Mainland, but you'll soon get bored.

yeah, yeah Rene ...

And for the umpteenth time... what you say is true given the business model LL imposes on SL users.

Change the business model & what you say is no longer necessarily true. Take SL away from the for-profit corporation and run it as a members owned nonprofit cooperative and I'd be more than happy to pay a modest fee to help cover operating expenses.

As things stand, those of you who pay tier cover operating expenses plus contribute to obscene executive salaries & bonuses and shareholder dividends & capital gains. I'm glad that you don't mind being parasitized in this way, in order to keep SL free for the rest of us. Thanks! When you get banned arbitrarily don't complain to me about losing your "investment."

Jeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


JeanneAnne wrote:


Rene Erlanger wrote:


JeanneAnne wrote:

LL can ban anyone for any reason or for no reason at all.

This being the case, spend NO money on SL or any other LL product. That way, if they ban you, it's no big deal.

Jeanne

If that were to be replicated by all SL residents.....there wouldn't be a Second Life Grid.

Someone is paying the Sim or Land tiers, so that you enjoy your Second Life....i suppose you could confine yourself to just Linden owned land on Mainland, but you'll soon get bored.

yeah, yeah Rene ...

And for the umpteenth time... what you say is true given the business model LL imposes on SL users.

Change the business model & what you say is no longer necessarily true. Take SL away from the for-profit corporation and run it as a members owned nonprofit cooperative and I'd be more than happy to pay a modest fee to help cover operating expenses.

As things stand, those of you who pay tier cover operating expenses
plus
contribute to obscene executive salaries & bonuses and shareholder dividends & capital gains. I'm glad that you don't mind being parasitized in this way, in order to keep SL free for the rest of us. Thanks! When you get banned arbitrarily don't complain to me about losing your "investment."

Jeanne

I have been locked out of SL 4 times over the years...as mentioned in my previous post. I've never come onto these Forums to complain about it....i just went about resolving the problems by harassing LL until resolved.

If you want a non-profit co-operative...I suggest you join some of the lesser known Open Sim grids which are run by a bunch of individuals.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG!  So frustrating...

This happened to me, but I completely uninstalled and re-installed the viewer and I was back in!  Glad to know about the modem-re-set option too!

 

So glad you're back!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you have a dynamic ip address that changes regularly you can sometimes get caught up innocently in the war between linden and greifers usining ip and mac spoofing to evade bans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


JeanneAnne wrote:


Rene Erlanger wrote:


JeanneAnne wrote:

LL can ban anyone for any reason or for no reason at all.

This being the case, spend NO money on SL or any other LL product. That way, if they ban you, it's no big deal.

Jeanne

If that were to be replicated by all SL residents.....there wouldn't be a Second Life Grid.

Someone is paying the Sim or Land tiers, so that you enjoy your Second Life....i suppose you could confine yourself to just Linden owned land on Mainland, but you'll soon get bored.

yeah, yeah Rene ...

And for the umpteenth time... what you say is true given the business model LL imposes on SL users.

Change the business model & what you say is no longer necessarily true. Take SL away from the for-profit corporation and run it as a members owned nonprofit cooperative and I'd be more than happy to pay a modest fee to help cover operating expenses.

As things stand, those of you who pay tier cover operating expenses
plus
contribute to obscene executive salaries & bonuses and shareholder dividends & capital gains. I'm glad that you don't mind being parasitized in this way, in order to keep SL free for the rest of us. Thanks! When you get banned arbitrarily don't complain to me about losing your "investment."

Jeanne

 

Since you feel this way, you'll be wanting to close your account and move to OSGrid, which is free to use and user supported.  Of course, it's mostly empty most of the time, and if you want anything really cool you'll have to make it from scratch.  Enjoy the Worker's Paradise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...