I had to change my avatar to Test Avatar because it was an agg, now I can't my orig avatar back

SuperMikey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My avatar was just an agg this morning, so i did some research and followed directions to change it to a Test Avatar.  It worked, but now I cannot get the beautiful avatar I created back.  when I wear it I get the face and skin but not the body.  Is there a way I can revert back?  Thanks. 

So here's what I've tried:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  So I went to inventory and typed in the search, waited til the fetching finished and them opend my outfit.  In my outfit I was

Twink shape small

Zanzo Hypernian (shape)

boy next door bald (test avatar, I think)

Boy next door eyes

I want the zanzo shape, but none of the others.  I cannot get rid of the others.  What should I do to get my avatar back?

Thanks again

7 answers to this question

Hello SuperMikey. Move to a region without lag or better relog there. Protected lands like Smith, Exeuxoa or Anzere are recommended. Open your inventory type something in search there and wait fetching all your items till the last one. When fetching finishes, try to change outfit choosing choosing one with just the necessary stuff (skin, shape, hair, eyes, pants and shirt) without any attachments. Wait some seconds and rebake your textures with Ctrl+Alt+R. Repeat same process if it is necessary. Normally it will fix your issue. If the problem remains, follow the suggestions here one by one:  http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_bake_​fail They work for all viewers. However suggestions won't work if:

• You have corrupted files saved in your hard disk. If so, you will fix the issue if you delete them and download new files. To do that, delete all contests at the following folder: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife After login back in a quiet sim like Smith, Exeuxoa or Anzere. Stay there under the water, open your inventory type something in search there and wait fetching all your items till the last one. When fetching finishes, try to change outfit choosing choosing one with just the necessary stuff (skin, shape, hair, eyes, pants and shirt) without any attachments. Wait some seconds and rebake your textures with Ctrl+Alt+R. Repeat same process if it is necessary. It will fix your issue.
  • You have problem with your internet connection. If so, you will fix the problem if you fix your internet connection. You can test your internet speed at http://speedtest.net/ If it is too slow less than 1Mbps, reboot your modem / router leting it closed for at least 2-3 mins and try again. If you use wireless connection, simply avoid it (it is no recommended for SL) and prefer direct cable connection instead. You can experiment also with your maximum bandwidth until to find the best setting for your system (under preferences --> setup).

That probably was not a good idea.  Character Test should be one of the last things that you try, not the first ones.  Often, all that it takes to clear a bake fail is to type CTRL + Alt + R, or change your hair base or your active group.  There's a list of increasingly more powerful methods at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_bake_fail , as Angel pointed out, with Character Test at the very end. Start with the simple things at the top of the list and work down until you find what works for you today.

You may find that the bake fail problem comes back repeatedly, even after you fix it with one of the suggestions on that wiki page. If so, you have a chronically weak Internet connection. There are many steps to take for repairing it. Perhaps the simplest ones -- ones that work best for most people -- are: (1) Don't Use WIRELESS. Wireless connections are inherently less stable than direct cable connections and are more vulnerable to interference. Then, (2) Reboot your router. Unplug it from the power for a few minutes to let it clear its RAM. The plug it back in and let it get a fresh hold on an IP address.

Thanks for updating your original question, SuperMikey.  If I understand correctly, you have now fixed the bake fail problem, but you aren't wearing the same outfit that you were before.  That's not too surprising.  Your outfits don't actually contain the various items (skin, shape, hair, clothes) themselves.  They contain links to those items in various folders in your inventory. The whole idea is to make it so that you only need ONE copy of each item, but can refer to it in many outfits, thus saving on the size of your inventory.  If the local cached copy of you inventory was borked, though, the links may have been scrambled so that they no longer point to the right items.  I suggest deleting and borked outfits and creating new ones, the same way you did it the first time.  It sounds like most of the pieces were originally in your Library >> Clothing folder, so look there to start.

you need to clear all your cash, and then do the test again. make sure to also clear you avi cash as well. you have to do this  at least once a week and you also need to move your graphics up from low to med or check the mesh settings. try checking the box that says costom. that should fix that problem. and might even stop it from happing again. :)

Don't get in the habit o clearing your cache unless you truly need to. Your cache is there for a good reason. Your texture cache holds ("caches") copies of textures you have seen recently so that they don't need to be downloaded fresh every time you see them in world. Similarly, your cached copy of inventory saves your viewer the trouble of asking the asset servers every time you need to rez something. If you empty your caches, you force your viewer to build them all over again. That is exactly what you need to do if you suspect that they have been corrupted. If not, it's unnecessary and it just means that you (and others around you) will have more lag than usual while your viewer rebuilds them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.