how can I make photos rez quickly in a photo frame?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a photo frame with a lot of photos in it.I have two buttons to click for "next" and "previous".  At first they took ages to rez  ( Im going to check that they are all 512x512 but I think they are)  What Ive done is to link a set of invisible cubes to the frame and put the photos on to faces of the invisable cubes. This makes a huge difference and photos appear immeadately I click a button.  I guess this works cos it somehow holds the photo textures in the cache.

What my question is ...are there other ways of holding the photo textures in the cache? Preferably one that makes adding more photos easy. At the moment I have to put the photo into the Contents page of the frame and then find an unused face on a cube and drag the photo on to it . Which is all a pain. And of course the prim count goes up by one each time I add a cube to store the photos.

Im not much of a builder or a scripter but I know someone who is ! :matte-motes-grin:  So any suggestions or thoughts would be very welcome. 

You have the right idea, but there is a better way.  Add another prim on the back of the frame and script the frame so that a picture rezzes on the back prim first, then on the prim in the 'front' that people can see.  Basically the next picture will be rezzing while the front picture is viewed.  Make sure the pictures change is slow enough so that back one finishes rezzing before it transfers to the front prim.

• Like 1

Related question, please bear with me.

Say I had a large store, could I put all of the textures that are in my store on cube faces, make the cubes invisible (or black) and bury them right under the landing point so that textures begin rezzing right away? 

Does that make any sense, or is it fundamentally flawed?

Awesome, thank you.

One more related follow up question, forgive my ignorance. If I put a texture on a prim and make that prim 100% transparent, will that texture still rezz quicker for the person when they come across it again on a non transparent prim?

I suppose I am asking, are 'invisible' textures still 'rendered'?? 

Good question. I'll be testing this out over the next few days..I'm making a worn item that can rezz other objects. These objects will be sculpted, so I'd like to make the worn item of the same sculpt, to preload  the sculptmap and texture. I hope the worn item, which will be 100% transparent, will work. Crossing fingers :)

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Awesome, thank you.

One more related follow up question, forgive my ignorance. If I put a texture on a prim and make that prim 100% transparent, will that texture still rezz quicker for the person when they come across it again on a non transparent prim?

I suppose I am asking, are 'invisible' textures still 'rendered'?? 

Yes, it does work.   My business partner and I made a somewhat strange Christmas novelty, Mrs Claus as an evil Domme, who does all sorts of stuff to you if you steal one of her Christmas cookies (especially if you use RLV) which culminates in her rezzing a sculpted gingerbread man to whom you end up chained while she whips you.

Anyway, the gingerbread man was great, but he took too long properly to rez -- things are all happening pretty fast, and we found that, most of the time,  he wasn't properly visible until Mrs C had almost finished with you.   So  I simply made him rez, completely invisible, a few seconds early and then turned him visible when needed.

ETA -- I'm not sure about putting sculptmaps as textures on prims.  My impression, from trying to animate things by swopping sculptmaps, is that it does help if you preload the .tga maps by putting them on invisible prims as textures, but I just don't know for sure.   Rezzing the sculpted gingerbread man early worked like a charm, though.

• Like 1

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

No.  They are TGA files, but they are not being rendered as images.

I was under the impression you could preload sculptmaps in exactly the same way as textures...

Have you tried it?  I admit that I haven't had any reason to do a rigorous test myself.  A sculpt map may have the same format as a texture, but your graphics card needs to interpret it in terms of shape and position variables instead of surface texture, so "rezzing" it involves a different set of processes.  I know that you can preload sculpt maps.  Based purely on casual observation, however, I'm skeptical about how much difference it makes for rezzing efficiency, but I could be wrong.   One way to find out would be to see how long it takes to rez a sculpty on a nice, quiet sim, and then rez several copies for comparison.  Clear your texture cache, rinse, and repeat a few times for reproduceability.  Or maybe Chosen or one of the other professional modellers has already done this ..... ?

As I said earlier, my impression from experiments with swopping sculptmaps to animate them works better if I've preloaded them by applying them as textures to a prim than if I don't, but my testing wasn't that rigorous, either.

I suspect it should speed things up a bit, simply because the sculptmap now only needs to be fetched from the local cache on my disk before my gpu and cpu can do stuff with it, rather than from a server on the other side of the Atlantic, but maybe I misunderstand.

Yeah, but the question is whether the duplicate sculpts rez any faster than the first one did.  I agree that it would be clumsy to have to load the UV map fresh every time.  I'm just not confident that "preloading" it actually makes a difference, even if it is less clumsy. 

ETA:  Hehe... It looks as if we are in uncharted territory. Aside from casual observations, the two or three of us here don't seem to have rigorous experimental data to answer the question.  I am curious now, though, and Innula's observations suggest that I may be wrong.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Yeah, but the question is whether the duplicate sculpts rez any faster than the first one did.  I agree that it would be clumsy to have to load the UV map fresh every time.  I'm just not confident that "preloading" it actually makes a difference, even if it is less clumsy. 

Sculpts can take forever to load when they are first rezzed... Rezzing the second one takes a split second once loaded into your memory.

Nothing uncharted about it and it makes perfect sense. Easiest way to see for yourself is by rezzing a sculpt you don't have cached, then when rezzed dragging a copy, you'll see the first one takes a while, the second one doesn't.

I can imagine prerezzing a sculpt won't show it's full resolution to everyone nearby, especially when small, that could mean the highest level(s) aren't loaded into memory. Still it should speed up things a bit then.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

Sculpts can take forever to load when they are first rezzed... Rezzing the second one takes a split second once loaded into your memory.

Hmmm... Not in my experience, but all viewers and home setups are not created equal.  I bow to the power of your system.  Mine is fast, but doesn't deal in split seconds.  :smileywink:

Thank you for the discussion, I am learning a lot.

Thank you for the answers also.

The term is preloading I gather and it is common practice? 

I remember going to the Truth District's Grand Opening, I believe that was the event, it may have been Hair Fair or something else, regardless, they sent out a notecard with all of the textures that would be there so that they would be in your cache already before you arrived. I thought that was pretty cool and I have only experienced it once. 

That just made me think of something, many stores I am a member of send out photos of their new releases, is this a conscious decision based on getting their texture into your cache? If so, that's pretty cool too, because I always thought it was just so you could see the new product, which I am sure it is, but if it serves a double purpose as well, that's a neat little trick. Isn't it?

I'd call it preloading yes, it's the common term I guess.

Things are ofcourse speeded up quite a lot when they can be fetched from your local cache, there's one catch though. If you load too many textures at once, you risk your memory being overused. Once you reach your (computers) memory limit, you'll experience terrible lag. you can handle quite a lot of 512s, but I wouldn't try to preload 50 1024x1024 textures.

I think most people never thought about the picture in the notice going to your cache, unless you look at all of them and the stores send out new product notices twice every day I doubt it will be any real help....

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

I'd call it preloading yes, it's the common term I guess.

Things are ofcourse speeded up quite a lot when they can be fetched from your local cache, there's one catch though. If you load too many textures at once, you risk your memory being overused. Once you reach your (computers) memory limit, you'll experience terrible lag. you can handle quite a lot of 512s, but I wouldn't try to preload 50 1024x1024 textures.

I think most people never thought about the picture in the notice going to your cache, unless you look at all of them and the stores send out new product notices twice every day I doubt it will be any real help....

Cool, cool.

If I max out my cache size at 9984 MB and my computers memory is 919 GB, do I even have to worry about 50 preloaded textures?

Why would the stores have to send out notices twice a day for it to be effective, if say they only have new items weekly?

Thank you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.