whats the point anymore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The new draw weight compared to the old system is completely different, 100k isn`t that bad.

I have 1 outfit that in the past was below the 10k, in the new version it`s 132052...
Even wearing  a simple outfit with a few sculpted items as cuffs and boots put it to the 63067 and a mesh top+skirt and shoes is allready 29245 :x

Rihanna Irata wrote:

Does it affect otthers that people ave high draw distances?

This isn't the topic of this thread, but just to get it out of the way: Yes, but very slightly.  The effect is that, with a long draw distance, more data has to get pumped from the sim(s) to the viewer with that high draw distance, and that creates some work and network traffic for the sim.  That means that textures, sculptmaps, object updates, etc. to everybody will be slightly delayed because they're competing for the same capacity as all the extra crap being sent to the high draw distance viewer.

Anyway, the original question was about avatar draw weight, which is the new name and calculation replacing Avatar Rendering Cost... not draw distance.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Anyway, the original question was about avatar draw weight, which is the new name and calculation replacing Avatar Rendering Cost... not draw distance.

I was wondering. I'd never heard of Avatar Draw Weight. I didn't have much luck finding out what's considered good and bad googling it, either. If there's a full explanation on an sl wiki for which you'd have a link I'd be interested to know what it is. I did find this, a resident's post which explains it in at least a little detail. It appears the ratio of ARC to ADW is about 1 to a zillion. I've gotten so used to having a feel for low ARC that I seldom check much unless I know I'm going someplace with mobs of people. I guess I'll check some of my low ARC outfits to get an idea of a suitable ADW.

Reduce the number of avatars rendered on your screen. That helps a lot. Avi draw weight is highly dependent on individual hardware, meaning people on low-end hardware will suffer while people on high-end hardware will hardly notice anything different.

If a dozen avis do give you trouble you may want to look into upgrading your graphics card if at all possible. Even a dirt-cheap nVidia 9800GT will not flinch with a dozen avis on the screen. SL benefits from discrete graphics cards with decent amounts of dedicated graphics memory first, CPU second, memory last. In most cases the graphics card is the culprit: Onboard graphics that come stock with many PCs, and they flat out suck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.