Lets discuss - SL last names post from Rodvik Linden in the feeds.

DQ Darwin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lets discuss Rodvik Linden's post from the feeds about SL last names, thoughts? 

<quote

Quick update on last names. Just fyi the team here has been working on solutions for this and it is taking longer than we thought. identity is important so we want the ability to have that wonderful shared experience the old last name system had but also not lose sight of the fact that many people really do not want a name given to them, they want freedom to define their identity, finally we want to consider adding meaningful things like titles etc that can be awarded by the community or some other methods. Anyway bit more complicated than initially thought but progress is being made. Will have a baked plan sometime in February we think

endquote>

ETA: https://my.secondlife.com/rodvik.linden/posts/4f285951be9e8f0001002204

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...  Did anyone ask for community awarded titles?  Seems to me it wouldn't be so complicated if they didn't try to add other complications onto the issue.  People simply asked for the return of last names - it was available just last year. 

It is nice that they listened though...

Cinn

ETA  Can I please have the title of "Official SecondLife Mischief Maker"?

I am game for last name but am leery about this part ( finally we want to consider adding meaningful things like titles etc that can be awarded by the community or some other methods). Any type of title assignment introduces with it a class system, giving a false image to the community of I have more say than you and at worse the owner of the title believes that.

Titles are only of value to employees of LL and that to me is enough. We have titles in the forums like  Member, Contributor, Helper and Advisor to indicate a support for the good of the community when in fact some have been banned several times.

So what would titles serve to the community?

My vote on titles would be no.

Just my thoughts......

Since no one from LL has posted on the official blog for over a month, I presumed the company moved its offices to Bermuda, whereupon the staff got naked on the beach, drinking Margaritas as a large pig roasted over a driftwood fire. Are you suggestion that some employees were left behind in San Francisco to manage the servers?

Rod posted from the 'feeds'. What feeds? MSNBC? The Drudge Report? New World Notes? Where exactly does the company release information these days? It certainly couldn't care less about the official SL Blog where, ah, residents go to get information from the company about Second Life.

Assumption rather than suggestion Del. With each media added it becomes more of a challenge to find information, I was referring to /my.secondlife.com. (but you knew that;))

When I see ideas like "Titles" I envision the race to be top title dog and all the broken Av's that got caught in the melee. My other concern would be once titles were accepted then comes the add privileges 6 month later.

NO TITLES

I don't really like the idea of titles either.  I do wonder what other types of titles they could have. 

1  You rezzed and opened your first box

2  You spent real life money in SL

3  You own a business in SL

4  You have written your first script

or the often envied:

5  Congratulations on your first week long ban!

But, yes, I agree the title system will carry much more weight with some than others.  I have yet to see a title system that brings people closer together.

Titles awarded by the community? Titles such as what, Artist, Builder, Designer, etc? Don't people earn those titles just by doing what they do?

Are we going to have to run for public office of be in some sort of pageant? If I want to be Princess of Mormo, can I just make 1000 alts and have them nominate me?

They already have things that give us titles, it's called a titler. 

The JIRA that has requested last names be returned nowhere mentions anything about titles. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7125

Doing a ctrl f for the word title brings up this comment:

"I completely agree with this. By having the last name "Resident", it's like you automatically have the title of "Noob" over your head. It clearly creates a distinction between new and old residents and/or old residents and new alts. Please bring back last names so that it can feel more realistic again."

The other 6 mentions of the word Title have nothing whatsoever to do with requesting titles to be a new feature.

Two thousand three hundred and seventy votes since July, and that could easily be only a small fraction of those in favor as most Residents are not even aware the Jira system exists.

Now this requested feature is being pushed back because of an unrequested feature? 

I have a last name, so obviously last names are possible and don't break the system. Titlers can be obtained for free, so I can be Princess Mormo easily and whenever I want. If a new user does not want a last name forced on them, why not make both fields open? If someone only wants one name, why not just let the system plug in Resident as the last name as it does now? 

Just another example showing how Linden Lab hears but does not listen.

We say, "Please give us last names back because we never asked for them to be taken away in the beginning."

Linden Lab hears, "Please give us gamer titles like Noob, Super Princess, and Competant Land Owner."

Geez... the only thing that can come from this is a very very funny list of resident-approved titles to award others with. That sounds like a really fun thread in fact, I think I will start one!

Uh-oh...This sounds less and less like the implementation back of the last names people wanted..

Rodvik please,listen to your customers. People wants only; solely last names to be back, so their SL experience can be more immersive and realistic, no one's asked for  fancy stuff to cover the fact that there's no way in heavens to pick a normal first  name, if it has to be accompanied by the "Resident" bit..

it's an easy to grasp concept , isn't?

DQ Darwin wrote:

"Quick update on last names. Just fyi the team here has been working on solutions for this and it is taking longer than we thought.
identity is important so we want the ability to have that wonderful shared experience the old last name system had but also not lose sight of the fact that many people really do not want a name given to them, they want freedom to define their identity,
finally we want to consider adding meaningful things like titles etc that can be awarded by the community or some other methods. Anyway bit more complicated than initially thought but progress is being made.
Will have a baked plan sometime in February we think"

Not sure why so many comments here are focusing on the "title" concept which is only mentioned as something in addition to, the goal of giving residents the power to select names, and continuing the old last name system. 

Bolded words are the crux of the message. 

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

DQ Darwin wrote:

"Quick update on last names. Just fyi the team here has been working on solutions for this and it is taking longer than we thought.
identity is important so we want the ability to have that wonderful shared experience the old last name system had but also not lose sight of the fact that many people really do not want a name given to them, they want freedom to define their identity,
finally we want to consider adding meaningful things like titles etc that can be awarded by the community or some other methods. Anyway bit more complicated than initially thought but progress is being made.
Will have a baked plan sometime in February we think"

Not sure why so many comments here are focusing on the "title" concept which is only mentioned as something
in addition
to, the goal of giving residents the power to select names, and continuing the old last name system. 

Bolded words are the crux of the message. 

Probably because what has been requested is being pushed back because of something that wasn't.

So the idea is that one should open a new window, go to MSL, follow Rod, then open a new window and go to Twitter and follow Rod, then open a new window and go to Facebook and friend Rod (opps, that's not allowed on Facebook), then open a new window and go to SLU and check the blog, then open a new window and go to New World Notes and read the blog, then maybe google 'SL', 'Rod Linden', 'Linden Lab', 'Second Life' etc. and read the results. Sounds like a plan. The idea that the company might post updates about its own products on its own website on its own blog does seem rather silly.

You wouldn't by any chance have a couple links to the nether regions of the internet where information on the last names issue might be located?

@Charo: I agree with the need  for last  last names in place of Resident (which might indicate lots of inbreeding or something equally unfair).  Those who joined under the Resident tag should also have the opportunity to change their last I hope.

@Nuhai I do believe LL is listening but they also have their own creative ideas. A few years back we would have heard about this after the fact. I think they are aware someone might bring this to the forums so a sentences of customer opinion could be seen. Then again I could be wrong:)

@Cinn you have to start and SL Titles thread and see what folks come up with , lol.

@BabyDeeQ: You welcome and welcome to the forums. I must say you have a lovely name, (wonders if we are in some way related?)

Titles could mean a lot of things and how it would work or what they would be isn't explained.  I'll wait to hear more before I offering an opinion.  No sense in jumping the gun and getting bent out of joint until it is explained in detail.

Also, not all requests are made by way of the JIRA.  So saying that since there is no JIRA about it doesn't mean it hasn't been requested.

DQ Darwin wrote:

@Charo: I agree with the need  for last  last names in place of Resident (which might indicate lots of inbreeding or something equally unfair).  Those who joined under the Resident tag should also have the opportunity to change their last I hope.

@Nuhai I do believe LL is listening but they also have their own creative ideas. A few years back we would have heard about this after the fact. I think they are aware someone might bring this to the forums so a sentences of customer opinion could be seen. Then again I could be wrong:)

@Cinn you have to start and SL Titles thread and see what folks come up with , lol.

@BabyDeeQ: You welcome and welcome to the forums. I must say you have a lovely name, (wonders if we are in some way related?)

There is a Jira requesting the ability to change names also:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-4867

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Titles could mean a lot of things and how it would work or what they would be isn't explained.  I'll wait to hear more before I offering an opinion.  No sense in jumping the gun and getting bent out of joint until it is explained in detail.

Also, not all requests are made by way of the JIRA.  So saying that since there is no JIRA about it doesn't mean it hasn't been requested.

Here is what Rodvik Linden, the CEO of Second Life, said about titles:

"Thanks all. yeah its a sensitive topic we want to get right. There are many people who really dislike having a last name forced on them from a list on the other hand there are many who love having that last name bond. As for titles, I hear you on the competition thing but there are perhaps other cool ways of getting things as an option fi you want. Length of being a customer etc."

https://my.secondlife.com/rodvik.linden/posts/4f285951be9e8f0001002204

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Here is what Rodvik Linden, the CEO of Second Life, said about titles:

"Thanks all. yeah its a sensitive topic we want to get right. There are many people who really dislike having a last name forced on them from a list on the other hand there are many who love having that last name bond. As for titles, I hear you on the competition thing but there are perhaps other cool ways of getting things as an option fi you want. Length of being a customer etc."

My response is:

"Titles based on length of being a customer? I joined Second Life the day after I came across it by accident on Google, do you propose to punish me because I was not made aware of this wonderful concept sooner?"

DQ Darwin wrote:

@Charo: it still remains as said any "title" given by LL will end up slighting someone somehow as you have said. I have been in-world 4 years and can still rez a box on my hand, so would I get an "old noob" title??

Hey, Dee. You might not want to know what your title might be :D 

Titles? Meh, no thank you. Far too much room for abuse.

Last names:

Seems simple to me. Make the last name field a free-entry text field, and be done with it. Filter what is allowed the same way the first name field is filtered, so a patently offensive name can't be selected. The concatenation of first name and last name need to be unique, and not already registered in SL.

What else do we need, really?

Maybe unlock the ban on use of 'legacy' surnames? I would be happy to register "Ceera" as a first name, with the surname of my SL Partner, who has been my partner since 2006, but whose surname was unavailable to me when I joined in late 2005. The name combination is unique. The only argument I can see against allowing the name to be registered is to artificially make 'legacy surnames' a special thing for early users only.

This isn't rocket science, Rod. Just give us the ability to have last names.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.