Why can't Linden lab get those card like the Farmville Cards.. I see IMVU has those money cards

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The biggest reason is because Linden Lab chooses not to accept pre-paid cards.  Another reason might be the fact that, in Second Life, you can use a stolen pre-paid card and purchase Lindens using an anonymous account then give those Lindens to another account (or maybe several accounts) and cash them out for real money........that's called money laundering in real life (you can't cash out your "tokens", or whatever they are called in Facebook).  Linden Lab apparently doesn't want to deal with such things........and I can understand that.  Second Life is nothing like Facebook.

There isn't really an answer anyone on the forum can give to the OP, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that LL might not try making such cards available at some point.  They're a business, and if there's sufficient demand for it as a payment option and sufficient growth for it to look like a possible way to increase revenue by offering more payment options, then it's likely to happen.

If the amounts offered are kept in fairly low increments, as is common with other somewhat similar services' (like game sites) cards, I doubt money laundering would be much of a concern.  Buying a hundred or so 25$ (USD) cards a month would attract the sort of attention that I'd think a money laundering operation would want to avoid.  Besides, someone cashing in that many would almost certainly raise some flags at LL so they'd take a closr look at the situation.

So at a guess, I'd say it's more likely that they haven't been made available yet because it doesn't look like there'd be enough demand for them to justify the expense of having the cards made and getting them stocked in game stores or whatever.

I don't think it likely they'd be allowed for "premium" service, though.  Actually "owning property" in SL has some liability issues involved and etc, so they'd want a bit more info on people and more accountability.  Sure, they could start accepting some other forms of identity verification, but since the current system works for a lot of people at present, where would LL see the demand?  Without demand and growth or at least the potential for growth, you don't get new stuff.  

Doesn't hurt to ask for it, though, since that's one of the ways they may eventually decide that there is sufficient demand to try some new things in payment and verification options.

• 3 months later...

Prepaid cards would be an awesome idea!!!!!!!!!!

Prepaid cards with 3 different values: $10, $20, $30.

Good Reasons to sell Prepaid Cards:

Not everyone has access to a credit card.

Not everyone is willing to put their credit card on the internet.

Not everyone has the time to attend a job on Second Life.

If they sell prepaid cards they will most likely make more money because they can attract a bigger crowd  similar to the above groups of people that I have mentioned! Instead of just limiting crowd.

If they could make the money behind the linden prepaid unlaunderable they should.

IMVU for example has 2 kinds of credits= credits and promo credits. One is transferrable and one is not.

Second Life should have 2 kinds of Linden one being transferrable and the other not.

I was going to ask the same thing yesterday Phil, then thought that such a card would suit me perfectly for paying premium/tier fees.  That would be non-transferable in-world, useless for buying anything but great for giving money to LL.  They don't seem to want any though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.