property privacy

Rhojen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

New to SL, trying to take it all in. I have a couple of questions:

1) I am renting a parcel on a sim and my neighbors skybox is overlapping onto my parcel, are the scripts they are running in their skybox being associated with my parcel?

2) Is there a way to pervent someone caming into/on to my property?

TIA

If the root prim of the skybox is on your land, then the skybox counts against your prims.  Scripts however are not as yet counted.  However you have a right to ask y our landlord to have them move their skybox so it doesn't hang over your land.

To keep people off your property you need to restrict access in the land tools or get a security system.  Land tools may or may not be available to you when you rent.  You'll find them under the WORLD menu.  Click Parcel Details then the Access tab.  Security systems are available on the marketplace in a wide range of prices from free on up.  The ones you pay for generally are better quality and have more features and flexibility. 

Check your covenant first though to see what is allowed, as some places don't allow you to use ban lines and some don't even allow you to use a security system.  If the covenant doesn't say, check with your landlord to be sure.   If privacy is important to you and you can't use one or the other, consider moving.  There are a lot of places that allow you to use one or the other or even both.

Hi Amethyst,

Thanks for the reply.  Their skybox hangs over by one third. I didn't think that scripts usage was alloted by parcel per se. Thought it would counted per sim where you could somewhat see where the heaviest usage was coming from.

We are allowed to install our own security system and the estate owner even supplies a free security orb. Ban lines are disallowed by covenant although some on the sim have them up, we do but will take them down when we install the security orb. They don't bother me, you have to right up on them to see them and Phoenix allows you to turn them off.

So is there a way to prevent someone caming into the property? or caming in and being able to click on things?

Hi Alicia,

There are no objects of his showing up in: World -> about land -> objects
so would this mean none of his scripted items are running on our parcel?

I think the best thing is to just ask him to move his skybox and if that doesn't work contact the property manager.

You can't prevent someone from camming in but you can make yourself invisible to your neighbors. It's under "About Land - Options." Turn off "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel." As far as clicking on things you can set the menus in your items to "Group" and create a household group so people outside that group can't bring up the menus.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.