Unrigged Mesh Attachments for clothing (like sculpties)

Annie Melson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm starting to see mesh attachments being used in clothing designs that are not rigged. They look and act like sculpty attachments. What are your thoughts about this? Do you like them or still prefer the sculpted attachment? I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about this. :)

The unrigged meshes I'm seeing are rezzing 45 gazillion times faster than sculpties, the textures look better with the UV maps that make sense, and they behave better on LOD changes. The only thing sculpties have on them is the UUID swap animation kludge, but I don't want my shoes to look like they are breathing or talking!

i've been doing non rigged mesh attachments in my clothes. the mesh parts rez much faster than sculptys. and i love designing mesh parts, i can get much better detailing than i ever could with sculpts. this also allows me to mix flexi prims with mesh to get softer skirts with movement.

this is one outfit as an example. this skirt is mesh with flexi lace.

=^.^= blakopal

• Like 1

blakopal, that is beautiful! I love the idea of also being able to incorporate flexi to it if I wanted! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this. I am now even more intrigued about using unrigged mesh attachments. I make my own sculpted parts already. Do you have any tips for how to make mesh parts? I need to start figuring out how to do it! :)

• Like 1

i use Cinema 4D, but there are several 3D modeling programs available. find one that is in your price range and learn it. :)

also, follow the mesh boards, and look for videos on youTube. there are lots of people posting good tips and 'best practices' to get your mesh to load fast and give the best results. definately get a hang of LOD factors. (the ability to generate mesh of varying complexity depending on the distance it's being viewed). 

it took me a long time to finally grasp how to create and upload mesh objects that work well in world. but now it's just lots of fun! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.