Viewer Preferences

newsue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm fairly new to  SL, initially used the Linden Labs viewer but after an update kept giving me error messages when trying to log in.

The found Phoenix and Firestorm.

What are the prose and cons of each or other viewers, I have heard that some are MESH but I am not quite sure if this is an advantage or not.

What are other users views..

Sue

Check here for the Third Party Directory. That'll give you a good overview for the trusted TPV's.

As far as Phoenix and Firestorm go, they're made by the same people. The difference is the code. Phoenix is based off of v1 code - in other words, the old code. It sometimes runs a little better, in terms of less lag. However, there are some features in v2 viewers that aren't there in v1 viewers. Many v1 viewers, like Phoenix, now have the ability to see mesh. However, you can't do certain things such as wearing multiple clothing layers (such as two shirts, or two pants layers).

Mesh is a different creation type from the typical prims and sculpts of SL. I'm not a creator, so I don't know all the technical bits. What I do know is that there's something in the code that allows you to view mesh, and v1 viewers weren't made for that kind of code. It's been written into some, but that carries it's own glitches and bugs. Some people love mesh, while others hate it. Mesh clothing tends to move better, when put into skirts particularly; it doesn't cut through the avatar nearly as much, and makes a lovely tight skirt. However, mesh clothing cannot be resized, so it may or may not fit your avatar correctly.

Okay, some history. In 2010 Linden Lab made a huge change to their viewer, adding some new technology but completely changing the user interface in the process. Also, when this new viewer, known as "Viewer 2," was released it was very buggy. Many users who were used to the old viewer hated (and still do hate) Viewer 2 like God hates sin.

Phoenix is based on the same technology as the pre-Viewer 2 viewer with a variety of updates and custom features and many but not all of the features added in later Linden Lab viewers. It has basically the same interface as the older viewer. It works better on many older computers but the technology is older and even the people who make it aren't crazy about still supporting it.

The same people make "Firestorm", which is based on the newer Viewer 2 technology but with user interface options that make it behave closer to the old viewer and it has many of the same custom features that Phoenix has.

"Mesh" is a technology to create objects and clothing that is a newer technology that most other graphically intensive 3D programs use but was just added to Second Life in the summer of 2011. When they introduced mesh support Linden Lab changed their viewer's name to Viewer 3. If your viewer doesn't support mesh you can't see some new items and clothing properly. It's not a major problem now but it will gradually become more and more of an inconvenience if you can't see it. Firestorm uses newer technology and was able to be changed to display mesh without major problems. Phoenix was also updated to support mesh but it is sort of duct-taped together (which is basically how the Phoenix developers described the process themselves.)

Linden Lab recently changed the user interface of their viewer and the new version starting with Viewer 3.2 is getting more acceptance.

Personally, I feel discussions of viewers tend to become religious debates between followers of the "Conservative" (old viewer derivatives) and "Reform" (Viewer 2/3 derivatives) factions, not to forget the "Orthodox" who still use Linden Lab Viewer 1.23, the last official viewer before the heresy of Viewer 2.

Basically, I recommend you try viewers until you find one you like best. Newer viewers will give you access to newer features that will gradually become more and more important but older viewers tend to do what they CAN do faster, especially on older hardware. 

Viewer 2 sukz.

Firestorm beta is good but its not mesh enabled.

Mesh enabled Firestorm is more laggy than the beta.

For now I use Firestorm beta unless I want to wear the one mesh item in my inv. Not too many ppl wear mesh yet so I don't see too many boxy hairs or bizarre ovals on ppl.

I don't know about any other viewers.

Jeanne

I stick to the LL viewer as much as possible.  At the moment I'm using the latest Beta version of LL Viewer 3.

Sometimes performance suffers or there's a glitch, and so I keep Firestorm in reserve.   

In my case there seems to be little to choose in performance between LL Viewer 3 Beta and Firestorm.

I do use Firestorm for my OpenSim standalone island though.

What viewer you use depends on the computer you have and your personal preferences.  If your computer is older or more toward the lower end, your generally better off with a viewer based on the V1.23 code.  If you have a newer mid to high end computer, then the viewers based on V3 code may be for you.  Which viewer you use within these two classes depends on the features you find useful.  Third Party Viewers generally have more options and features than the standard SL viewers.  However a lot of these features are geared toward things that you may not need, such as extra building features.

I use the latest released version of Firestorm because i have a new high end computer that can easily run it.  I also like a lot of the extra features Firestorm has the the official SL V3 does not, particularly in building tools, because i am a full time builder.  For example being able to use numbers up to five decimal points in the Object tab rather than only 3 offered b y SL viewers, and the abiltiy to set the pivot point on prims for rotation purposes.  This makes it possible to be more precise in prim placement.

My suggestion is to look at the list of TPV and try a few out to see which works better for you in terms of performance and features.  No two people have the same needs, so its difficult to recommend a specific viewer and you should not necessarily make your choice based on what 'most people' use.

Thank you for all the helpful replies. Sorry for the typo in my original message, line 2 should have said Then I found Firestorm and Phoenix.

I do find the extra clothing layers allowed in Firestorm useful, I tend to favour Phoenix for the layout but Firestorm for the extra features.

What happens if you have extra layers worn in Firestorm and then switch to Phoenix.

Sue

The extra layers detach, leaving only one layer of each. In my experience, this is unpredictable; I'm never sure what I'll still be wearing. Then again, I haven't tested it at all. It may leave you with the first of each layer you wore, the last, or choose randomly.

If I'm not mistaken, you still have the option of choosing three layouts in Firestorm - Phoenix, Hybrid, and V2. I haven't tried the Phoenix layout, so I don't know if it actually looks like Phoenix, but it might be worth a try if the main thing you dislike about Firestorm is the layout.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, you still have the option of choosing three layouts in Firestorm - Phoenix, Hybrid, and V2. I haven't tried the Phoenix layout, so I don't know if it actually looks like Phoenix, but it might be worth a try if the main thing you dislike about Firestorm is the layout.

That's a good idea and I will try it at next login, I tried hybrid but was new to Firestorm so didn't really notice a difference.

Thanks for suggestion.

Sue

today it's V3..i haven't been able to log in at all with firestorm for some reason so far today..but LL's V3 got me right on..but since both my sim and my other land i have where i have my home log in..both are not working now..i think they restarted both of my "dodge the restart" spots at the same time..those tricky bastages..

lol

they both suck for informing you that  your region is about to restart..i do mis the big dropdown menus..

i miss a region restart just about every time with any of the v2 and up notices..thats one thing i miss about the v1's if anything..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.