Internet Speeds & Effect on SL Performance v.s. Impact of graphics card quality

sochimilko

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am hoping someone who has significan technical knowledge of graphics hardware and Internet connections can give me some information based on their experience.

I bought a laptop last year before I discovered SL, and went for the one with the sub -par graphics card. Now I am stuck with it. In spite of this, I have been able to have an OK experience in SL, with my current Internet connection, and my graphics setting at High ( I have tinkered with them until although things load slowly, I can still move around, and I can see for a fair distance.)

PROBLEM: Now I have to move to a place with a slower Internet connection than I am used to. I am afraid I am going to have a doublewhammy lag situation.

I have laid out my questions and my specs below. I would appreciate any sensible answers.

Please note that I have already looked up minimum system requirements in the SL Knowledgebase, and I am fully aware that my graphics card does not meet them. I do not want to discuss getting a new one, since I can't afford another computer, and my Laptop is not upgradable in that respect.
(Note: SL Min sys req. for Internet speed is DSL or CABLE but it doesn't specify speed. )

Question 1 Will downgrading my Internet connection from 9-10 Mps to 1Mbps cripple my ability to run Secondlife?

Question 2 How important is Internet speed above 1Mbps for having a decent experience in SL.

Question 3 Is having a good graphics card more or less important than having fast Internet? ( fast Internet is usually not available in the US at reasonable prices. Often not available at all due to crappy infrastructure.)

MY SPECS
WIN 7 64 BIT
ATI Radeon mobility HD 4200series- SL recommends ATI Radeon 9500 or better
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II P960 Quad-Core Processor (1795.57 MHz)
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.14.0001.6105
OpenGL Version: 3.2.9756 Compatibility Profile Context

I have been able to run on Phoenix Viewer 1.5.2 tolerably well (SL Viewer 2 & Firestorm (Newest version) Not so well.) with the 4200 graphics card and the current Internet speed, which runs bout 9Mbps despite advertised speed of 11. My new apt. will have only 1Mbps or slower. (ISPs are not required to advertise the real speed, but it is usually significantly lower than advertised speeds.)

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:
Cleaning out my inventory, clearing various caches, and changing my max bandwidth does not seem to have much difference in performance.
Lag meter
Sometimes the client meter is green, sometimes red. Depends on the sim.
Network meter is usually yellow or green.
Server is sometimes green, sometimes red. When it is red, I can't do anything.

4 answers to this question

Both a good graphics card AND a good internet connection are important

I don't agree with your statement that "fast internet is not readily available in the US".  Fast internet is VERY available here.  I have Verizon FIOS with a 35 Mbps speed.  Granted, you will have more choice in major metropolitan areas, but unless you live WAY out in the sticks, there is almost always some way to get a fast internet connection.

Question 1 - probably not significantly, see....

Question 2 - Maximum internet connection speed means very little to SL. It runs wide-open only when loading a sim initially and in fact the default maximum bandwidth is 500 kbps. I just went to my house and the "cruising" bandwidth used was probably around 100-200 kbps once things loaded. The real factor for internet connection is consistency and reliability. That's why wireless is usually bad for SL.

Question 3 - Graphics cards are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more important than raw internet speed. The graphics card is probably the most important part of your SL experience. Then you want CPU speed, then system memory up to a certain point (currently SL has memory-release problems and I find it crashes by the time it uses around 1.5 gigabytes of memory for me.) I've had decent SL experiences with about the internet speed you're moving to if it's a hardwired connection.

• Like 2

Unlike Lindal, I am way out in the sticks in the U.S..  Well, sort of way out, anyway.  I can get 5Mbps service for a very reasonable price, and could upgrade to 10Mbps if I really wanted to.  As has already been pointed out, though, the quality of your graphics card makes a lot more difference than the speed of your connection, assuming that you aren't on a dialup or using two tin cans and a piece of string.  A direct cable connection will almost always give you better service (i.e., less crashing and fewer rezzing issues) than wireless, simply because it is less prone to interferences from every RF source in the area.  Laptops with graphics chips rather than removeable graphics cards are often problematic, which is why gaming quality laptops typically have high-end cards and are at least as expensive as a comparable quality desktop.  All in all, then, it's most important to put your money (or future investment) into a good graphics card, assuming that your computer can handle it.

• Like 1

Theresa is correct.  You connection speed will cause some lag if you have a fast and high end video card.  You do not and it's much slower than your 1 mbps download speed (you should get at least 75% of that speed......if not call the ISP and find out why).  SL is quite happy with 500 kbps (1/2 mbps).  If your system can handle a faster download speed then it will help.....but if your system can't then you would probably have more trouble if you fed more data into it with a higher speed. 

I have a fast connection and a reasonable video card.  I have my preferences set to 1500 kbps, yet I seldom see even 900 kbps coming at me......mostly around 200 to 300 kbps with very rare spikes to 800 to 900.  I think you'll be fine with your new connection speed.  If you ever get a faster computer then a faster connection will help...........to a point.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.