Newbie looking for things to do!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, so after seeing a bunch of the SL adds scattered around on various websites i finally took the plunge and joined up. 

I've pretty much i think gotten a hang of the basics of movement, clothing, unpacking boxes etc and even kitted my avatar out with a few freebies using some blogs i found via a little google searching.

Only thing is now i've basically dressed my avatar up, done a lil shopping i'm well at a blank on what to do next. What kind of things does everyone on SL actually get upto because well shopping gets a little boring after awhile lol

As this doesn't appear to be a copy/paste post, I'll get stuck in :)

Until very recently, there was nothing organised for people to do, but recently Linden lab opened up a small game called Linden Realms. You could try that.

SL is for people to make their own enjoyment and a lot of people go to clubs, go to places where live music is on, explore, and generally pick up ideas from other people along the way. If I were in your shoes, I'd do a search for events and go to some. You're bound to meet and chat with people that way, and you'll gradually get into doing in SL what you fancy doing.

People in SL do just about anything you can imagine. Think of something that interests you in real life, especially something that you have difficulty doing in your every day life because of time, money, physical impossibility or some other barrier, and try to find it. Chances are SOMEBODY has simulated it. Look for places and groups that do that activity in SL and meet some other participants.

Do you want to know a dirty little secret? SL can be boring without other people to share it with. But when you find compatible people it can easily take the place of many other leisure activities. I almost never watch television any more because I prefer being part of the action in SL myself.

SeraphineNightfire wrote:

Hi everyone, so after seeing a bunch of the SL adds scattered around on various websites i finally took the plunge and joined up. 

I've pretty much i think gotten a hang of the basics of movement, clothing, unpacking boxes etc and even kitted my avatar out with a few freebies using some blogs i found via a little google searching.

Only thing is now i've basically dressed my avatar up, done a lil shopping i'm well at a blank on what to do next. What kind of things does everyone on SL actually get upto because well shopping gets a little boring after awhile lol

I go through phases with shopping. Personally I usually find it more interesting to shop for landscape items than for my avatar, but I'm currently in the opposite phase. I want to see the best of what SL has to offer my avatar. Bring it!  Lol

You may find that  you will go through phases in Second Life overall. Right now you are in the exploring phase. So...explore! Get out there as much as you can. One fun way to explore is profile picks. Click a random person, look at their profile (Despite what a few say about 'profile perving' - that's what a profile is for - to be read.) Click their picks page in their profile. Now just randomly try a few places. (Unless it says "home" - but if they were smart, the teleport does not lead there.)

As  you explore, remember that not everyone has an open house policy. If it looks like a private home, probably best to admire it from a distance rather than try out to see what the pink and blue orbs do.

And visit the Destination page and the Destination forum here. People make some great recommendations.

Only once you have seen more of SL will you know what you like best.

Enjoy!

There are so many things you can do in SL, you can go to awesome parties, explore amazing places and appreciate some SL art, you can basically do anything you like.

There's always something to do here so if you get bored, just look in the events and find something you like, or search in the search bar for some key word of something that interests you, like "disco" or "music" you'll have lots of fun.

SL is only boring when you don't really know it well, i remember when i was a "noobie" i used to have alot of down time in second life but once you get the hang of it you'll be always busy going from one place to another :D

Did you say shopping becomes boring? Tsk :)

Yeah - it's up to you to find out what you want to do - makes one feel lost at the beginning.

Use the search in your viewer and play around. Check places and events maybe. Clubs, music, dancing, role playing, art, sports, fights, dirty things hehe, building in a virtual environment and not to forget SL is a great platform to chat and meet.

If something comes to your mind - search for it. Use your fantasy :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone!

Well shopping is fun don't get me wrong, i love making my avatar cute but it starts costing RL money after awhile which i'm limited to spend (personal reasons and all that). So i guess i'm looking for things to do on the side.

Some sound awesome to try but some not so much, i've never really been one for live music events, art etc but exploring and that Linden Realms might be loads of fun.

I'm a bit of a gamer geek in RL, mainly playing alot of RPG's like Final Fantasy, Oblivion, Risen to name a few. The reason i joined SL was to try something different to be honest, but if i could find something that coinsides with maybe a little gaming that would be fun.

So i guess my next question is what do the gamer types in SL do, if there are any lol?

So i guess my next question is what do the gamer types in SL do, if there are any lol?

I can't really answer your question because I'm not a gamer and I don't know any. But I can suggest that they do their gaming elsewhere and use SL for what SL is good at.

SL is really a place where you make your own environment and passtime. Imagine arriving in a new city (no game to play there). What do you do? SL doesn't suit a lot of people, but it's excellent for people who want to be creative. Being creative doesn't just mean making things. It also means creating your own environment. You've already been doing it by creating the look of your avatar. Then there's creating to look and feel of a home. Of course, having a home costs money - a very small amount though. So being creative also means earning money in SL to pay for the home. In other words, being creative means arranging SL to be what you want it to be at the time. Later it can all change, so there's more creating to be done.

SL is a place where you make your own passtime. It's just there, and it's up to you to see if you can happily be there or not. Many can't, because they need organised activity. There's nothing inferior about that.

Something to note is that most people who have SL businesses didn't arrive in SL with the idea of starting a business as a hobby. But they got into after a while of being in SL, getting used to what SL is about, and it's a hobby that they found appealed to them, so they love doing it.

SL is what you make of it. It does take time to get used to it though, especially if you thought it was an 'organised' place, a bit similar to a game.

"So i guess my next question is what do the gamer types in SL do, if there are any lol?"

Interested in role playing?  There are a bunch of role play sims.  NCI offers an intro to RP class--I gather that SL RP ranges from fairly tightly scripted activities to improv to "table top" style RP complete with dice rolling. 

There is a RP section in the forums, you might what to browse some of the threads to see what the RP folks are up to.

Pretty hard to say without knowing what your interests are. There are lots of RP sims though, think of a genre and I am sure someone is doing it. I used to belong to a Avatar movie rp sim called Navatar. But for me RP gets boring.

If you like cars there are quite a few racing sims you can check out. At our sim we do drag racing and build custom cars. There is a road on the sim next door too. We also have other shops and stuff and nice 50's style diner that hosts events.

If I am not working at the shop I usually just like to explore. Lots of really cool places to see in sl.

I hate shopping so for me the thing to do is building and roleplaying.

Can't get enough of that.

I can see myself building stuff in SL even if I didn't have anything else to do, Lego obsession or something?

Anyway, roleplay can be your cup of tea, as someone else said, think of stuff you're interested in and search for it in SL, SL groups, SL websites, etc.

But the very very very best thing about SL is that if you can't find something you like... you can build it yourself.

Start your own roleplay sim, open a shop, etc.

Whatever you want, you can do here.

Your at the stage where you want to find a community.

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/getting-started-in-second-life/#Community

- That may prove helpful.

The short version is to start searching the destination and events guides for active places that match your interests, going to them, and being vocal in -text- chat (not voice. Voice might be good, but often half the people there will not have voice, if its even enabled).

I'm a bit of a gamer geek in RL, mainly playing alot of RPG's like Final Fantasy, Oblivion, Risen to name a few. The reason i joined SL was to try something different to be honest, but if i could find something that coinsides with maybe a little gaming that would be fun.

There is a game I like to play in SL, which is a bit like a first person shooter with a few twists. The object of the game isn't to kill your enemy, but to capture and thereafter use them for your pleasure. Or if you're on the other side, avoid capture. The game involves RP of an adult nature, so it isn't for everyone. IM me in world if interested and I'll pass you a land mark.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry everyone i haven't checked on this in awhile. I had a couple of RL things to sort through last week and completely forgot about this thread oops!

Anyway i'll start replying now! 

I'll have a look at the RP section of the Forum and see what it says :)

My interests well in RL i guess you could say i enjoy reading alot, typically romance novels by authors such as Sherrilyn Kenyon, Amanda Ashley, Christine Feehan etc. I enjoy a massive range of music from Rock to RnB to Pop and Dance. Games i'm a massive gamer i enjoy such games like Final Fantasy, Sims, Discworld, Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Settlers. I enjoy TV aswell i watch Supernatural, Chuck, NCIS, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist etc. Those are the types of things i tend to do in RL other than the typical visit family etc. 

I'll have a wander through the Community guide aswell so thank you Pussycat!

Hi Randall, that well ummm sounds interesting and different and hey even if i don't enjoy it rofl i'll least look into it. I tend to enjoy things that are not the norm :P

Best thing going is zombie killing, there are also diferent combat sims like sword play, cosplay and such, naruo has quite a few....  it's all about how creative u are... think of what u reallyl ike that's an active community and find the fans working at bringing the aspects to life... 

I get down on Combat Arms for now while my clan is working on a combat sim...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.