Can't control character

Puddly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whenever I play SL and walk around, my character starts to move foward where I can't control it anymore until a pop up that says " Sorry, but the system was unable to complete your region crossing in a timely fashion. Please try again in a few minutes"

Then I try again, and it does the same thing :/ It's never done this before.. how do I make it stop?

Edit: Oh great, now it's doing this everywhere I go. 

You could open the map and teleport to the next Region.

The type and speed of your Computer's internet connection, as well as firewall, router configuration can effect Region crossings.

Owning land on or near a Region's edge or boundary should be avoided if Region crossing is a problem.

A Viewer update or an Alternate Viewer may produce better performance.

Updating your Computer to be sure that the Drivers for the Graphics Card, firewall and other programs are up to date, can ensure that an issue is not on your end of the connection.

Lag or a "busy" Region is the #1 cause of floating or being dragged across a Region crossing.

You didn't give us much to go on. I think most of us are guessing.

Are you navigating via mouse clicks to walk there? Arrow or WASD keys?

Which viewer are you using and what operating system are you using? The best information is from the Viewer's Help->About. Copy and paste it in here.

This week the release channels have new code running that is foundation work for a change to how region crossings work. So, you may be running into problems from that change. If that is the case, there is nothing to be done about it until Wednesday. You can test this by going to different regions and seeing if the problem exists everywhere, in which case it is NOT the new code.

When we lose control of the avatar it is usually because our connection to SL is being interrupted. Open Viewer Stats (Ctrl-Shift-1 a toggle) and check PING and Packet Loss. Ping < 250ms and Packet Loss 0%. You can survive with 3% or so. If your values are not in this range check your connection. See: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection.

While the stats are open look at Sever FPS and Time Dilation. If the server is lagging, you ping values can be wacked. The normal values are 45 and 1.0. Values down to 35 and 0.8 are not much of a problem.

Another problem with region crossings is the number of scripts you are wearing. The memory used by large numbers of scripts takes time to transfer to the destination region. If you are wearing too many and things are busy you can time out before the crossing completes and then thngs go sideways.

You can get script weights from script counters found in the Market Place. They are free. The general opinion is that limiting your self to 3mb of script memory use is a good idea.

In Viewer Statistics look to see if the region is lagging significantly, below 20 FPS or 0.5 TD. That can also cause loss of control.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.