is firestorm safe

Blackpaw Bellic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

Yes, of course it is safe.  It is one of the most popular viewers in use in SL, with thousands of satisfied users.  The Firestorm developers have voluntarily complied with Linden Lab's Third Party Viewer policy, which you ought to read in full >>> https://secondlife.com/corporate/tpv.php .  It lays out specific expectations with regard to data and intellectual privacy, safeguards against viruses and other intrusive programs that may damage or circumvent your computer or LL's system, and any of the other things you might worry about. 

ETA:  Thank you, Charolotte, for the insightful questions you raised in the Permalink to my post here. 

• Like 1

The list was created in response to the Emerald affair, to mitigate against future incidents, or at least give LL a policy justification for outlawing a TPV found in violation --- whether it has voluntarily compiled with the policy or not. Under the policy now in effect, "If a Third-Party Viewer or your use or distribution of it violates this Policy or any Linden Lab policy, your permission to access Second Life using the Third-Party Viewer shall terminate automatically. ...... We may enforce this Policy in our sole discretion, including but not limited to by removing a Third-Party Viewer from the Viewer Directory and suspending or terminating the Second Life accounts of Developers or users of a Third-Party Viewer. We further reserve the right to take any and all technological measures we deem appropriate to block a Third-Party Viewer from accessing Second Life, and to pursue any and all legal and equitable remedies."

The list is a public declaration that the developers of the viewer understand and are complying voluntarily with the policy. If it comforts you to think of it this way, it's a declaration of good faith, meant to assure potential users that they know what LL expects and intend to behave well. Other developers who have not made the same voluntary declaration may also be just as trustworthy -- Henry Beauchamp and his CoolVL viewer are a good example -- but the general public is less likely to be aware. There is therefore more than a little marketing wisdom in getting your viewer's name on the TPV list, but it is not required. What IS required is compliance. That bit I quoted above says that LL will cut you off at the knees for violating the policy, whether you are on the list or not. After Emerald, I have to believe personally that they'd do just that.

OK. I am definitely also in the Firestorm camp and would say, "yes" as my short answer also. It is listed in the third party viewer directory and is considered one of the top viewers. If you add in the Phoenix part of the equation, the Phoenix - Firestorm group has developed the most popular alternatives around.

That being said, no viewer is completely safe. Anyone that has been in SL for awhile remembers the Emerald Viewer fiasco. Hopefully that has made those with the power to change the code more aware and has instituted some checks and balances. If you want to be completely safe, turn off you modem and stop using the internet *wink*.

Firestorm is no doubt one of the best viewer choices around, but try the new Linden Labs viewer also and pick your preference. I don't really think you need to stay up nights worrying about your viewer as long as you download from the OFFICIAL webpage and make sure that is on the approved list.

Thank you Rolig. I use Exodus now, since it is just like V3 but with added features, and since they are not on the official viewer list they have posted on their website that they have independent third party safety certifications. I do not understand what any of that means, but I do not consider the Internet safe anyways and after all I heard about Emerald, the third party viewer list is just as you say, a good way to get your viewer name out there but no more a guarantee of its safety than a used car salesman assuring me a vehicle is safe and to take his word for it. In fact, not being technical at all, as a consumer, I am more inclined to trust cool little safety badges than scout's honor.

http://exodusviewer.com/archives/2012/01/entry_31.html

"it depends"

Firestorm comes from a project that has a one-and-a-half year history, and all of the accounts associated with it are in good standing.

However, it IS a TPV (third party viewer) and if you are running a business in secondlife of any importance (eg an estate where you handle hundreds or thousands of RL dollars) then you do not want to use ANY third party viewer, and instead stick to the officially supported viewer.

I would say that yes, firestorm is safe -their source is publically available and if there were gotchas we'd have heard about them; but only you can make that call.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.