Cache question for SL Viewer

NeilAndNobodyElse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was having usage problems with my SL viewer and someone suggested I clear my cache. I did so but found about a hundred white folders in my personal folder and they wouldn't go to the recycle bin as a select all option. However I set up my cache now it downloads everything to my computer, I even tried re-installing SL viewer but the problem still exists. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is it able to be fixed?

Baloo, thanks for your reply and I apologise for my rather abrupt response. As far as I am aware using Phoenix has solved the problem of thr files turning up on my computer but I am still going to have to clear my cache at some point. Someone suggested that when I cleared my cache I must have altered the "path" where the cache files end up. Is there a correct path which would prevent this happening and is it possible to stop the cache from clearing every time I log off. It might also help the general forum community if you could explain what "Easter Egging" means.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give, it is much appreciated.

The cache is placed in a default location: C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Local\SecondLife\

The setting is in Preferences Setup in SL Viewers. Third Party Viewer now mostly set up their own cache location by default. As the image compression, cache system, and inventory system changed and Outfits were brought in cache corruption and incompatibilities were common and the for a time the standard fix for most problems was to clear the cache. That is no longer true. From that time it became popular to separate each viewer's cache form the other viewers. I reduced problems and those of us running multiple viewers had way less problems.

Now the SL has changed to the new large cache some of the Phoenix team is on a mission to get people to quit clearing cache as a first step problem solving tool. So, make clearing cache a last resort tool in your troubleshooting repertoire.

However, the idea of separate caches for each viewer is still considered a good idea.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

The cache is placed in a default location: C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Local\SecondLife\

The setting is in Preferences Setup in SL Viewers. Third Party Viewer now mostly set up their own cache location by default. As the image compression, cache system, and inventory system changed and Outfits were brought in cache corruption and incompatibilities were common and the for a time the standard fix for most problems was to clear the cache. That is no longer true. From that time it became popular to separate each viewer's cache form the other viewers. I reduced problems and those of us running multiple viewers had way less problems.

Now the SL has changed to the new large cache some of the Phoenix team is on a mission to get people to quit clearing cache as a first step problem solving tool. So, make clearing cache a last resort tool in your troubleshooting repertoire.

However, the idea of separate caches for each viewer is still considered a good idea.

I think it is more in terms they are trying to get people to not use it as a knee jerk reaction.

Part of the problem is that people do not want to have to think technically in order to use SL. I know I'd rather not.

Yesterday at a club someone complained they had cleared their cache three times and were still having trouble rezzing.  I suggested they reboot their modem.  Problem solved.

NeilAndNobodyElse wrote:

As far as I am aware using Phoenix has solved the problem of thr files turning up on my computer but I am still going to have to clear my cache at some point. Someone suggested that when I cleared my cache I must have altered the "path" where the cache files end up.

Yes, the default is usually ~/.secondlife/cache on most platforms.

NeilAndNobodyElse wrote:

Is there a correct path which would prevent this happening and is it possible to stop the cache from clearing every time I log off. It might also help the general forum community if you could explain what "Easter Egging" means.

See the link in the original post.

Nalates, many thanks for your feedback, I have never had major problems with rezzing so my cache is probably not causing problems. I am finding Phoenix Viewer to be ok but it will take time to get completely comfortable with it. I do find the SL UI a little inscrutable but at least I don't have to worry about the cache any more, I have been tping all over the place to destinations I don't really want to visit so I will keep my flights of fancy to the places which are important to my SL adventures.

Thanks again everyone for your kind input., I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.