Sign in to follow this  
kurt7D8 Avon

What is a Region??

I had a question on the relationship between tier, prims, and land purchase but the following question got lost in the thread, so I'm re-posting a specific question . . .

What is a Region?

For example, I live in Fumb.  Is that a Region? How do I find the boundaries of a Region?

I need to know this because I must buy in the same Region to utilize new prims (in the same region).

And, BTW, "region" and "sim" are synonymous, right?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Yes a region and a sim are the same.  Specifically its a 256x256sqm section of SL with a unique name.  Open the World Map and you will see that the SL world is made up of thousands of regions.  An estate is the term used for an associated collection of regions.

--Cinn

ETA: Corrected region size.  Thx Love!

Hello kurt7D8. Region is synonym with sim. A region is in fact an area 65,536sq m2, being 256 metres on each side. We have: a)Full primed regions (up to 100 avatars and 15,000 prims) b)Homesteads (up to20 avatars and 3,750 prims) and c)Openscape sims (up to 10 avatars and 750 prims). In world there are currently over than 30,500 regions. You can see the name of the region in the address bar on the top of your viewer after the first comma.

Name of the parcel, name of the region, maturity rating.

These links were very useful.  Thank you.

Lingering question: If you open a world map of mainland continents you can see, arranged in a grid pattern, names of places--I call them communities.  

Is each of these communities one region??

kurt7D8 Avon wrote:

These links were very useful.  Thank you.

Lingering question: If you open a world map of mainland continents you can see, arranged in a grid pattern, names of places--I call them communities.  

Is each of these communities one region??

Yes. It's best to forget the word "communities" and only think of the words that are normally used - "region" or "sim". And, of course, they are not actual communities. They are mostly a collection of different-owner parcels within the sim/region.

On the world map, each sim/region is a square (256m x 256m, as has already been mentioned), and it's they are obvious on the map. Each of them has its name in the bottom left corner of its square.