Land Impact Game

Madeliefste Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ah, NOW I read you Kwak - Thanks for that (another overlooked tweak to add to my memory!) I can stretch the wall pieces to suit, depending on the room sizes etc.

I guess it will depend on HOW I choose to texture the surfaces. If I just choose to use generic repeating textures (which have seamless edges), that idea is perfect. Though, I am also considering doing "faked" ambient occlusion along the wall edges (floor / ceiling / column edges / around door frames etc), so the individual panel meshes will probably be easier to texture that way (although with a bit of planning, texture repeats could be a viable option).

Nice idea - thanks for that (and glad you like the build too!) :matte-motes-smile:

I had to abstain because I had visited it. For those who thought it was more - something the size of the individual rooms here is dominated by the medium LOD. That is (presumably) just the 8 triangles to hold the materials. If the suset bug is fixed, or if a single material was used, it could theoretically be just one triangle. That's how the vanishing interiors that Maeve invented work. It would be interesting to know how much more detail could be added to the high LOD before the LI goes up, or is it already maximised?

Essentially, Maeve is using the green line on the graphs on the left below, by dropping staight to minimum detail. That has the biggest difference from red and blue, which use normal progressive LODs, at around 10m radius.

pe_fig6.png

Only Maeve can answer it for sure, but I bet this build can do without LoD med, as long as there are some doors to make sure you can't look through several rooms from a single camera position. Afterall you won't get further away from the center of the object than about 75% of its length (and I think LoD highest will show at 4 or 5 times the object size). I also think adding floors and ceilings won't raise the landimpact. That would make modular building like this very rewarding.

Edit...read your post wrong ...you said determined by the LoD med, which is in this case 8 triangles... time for lunch maybe?:)

I'll just jump in once more to answer (before I get some sleep!).... :matte-motes-smile:

I am pretty much doing as you suggest Kwak: For LOD2/3/4, I am ONLY using an 8-triangle mesh (one triangle for each material used), which makes a huge dent in LI cost. Of course, by doing this kind of thing one has to plan around the LOD switch, hence this trick being best used on interior room modules where the change won't be seen (preferably obscured by closed doors etc). For rooms facing windows, when you cam out far enough, the LOD switch can be seen (although for rooms of the size in my example here, the distance is quite reasonable)... in these kinds of cases, I would probably prefer modeling a very basic box with inward facing normals (to emulate the walls). My guess is that by the time the LOD switch happens, when viewed through the windows, the texturing won't really be an issue due to distance (and probably won't be the focal point when it happens).

For the floors and ceilings in this particular build, I am planning on creating surfaces utilising my UV/materials tiling technique for randomisation effects (described HERE)... It will be more costly than using a simplistic 2-triangle plane per surface, but that's purely an artistic choice on my part (and should still be reasonable in LI overall, for the resultant texture variations achieved etc).

But yah, a modular approach like this, for hidden interior rooms especially, can reap big rewards on LI savings. :matte-motes-smile:

Yes when the load is as low as this, I am tempted to add geometry in return for better texture control, we don't have to build everything out of 1 prim...

You're very right this "only high LoD" building can only be used in some specific cases like interiors or very large exteriors or skyboxes. I used it for a 64 meter long hall (exterior), I never got the LoD to switch on that thing.

Windows can be a problem yes, but a nice trick  is making the windows go opaque in the lower LoDs, again extra geometry, in the lower LoDs even, but well worth it since you won't see the interior go poof. Windows can be seperate ofcourse, with 2 triangle imposters/billboards for the lower LoDs (plus the extra ones for materials).

It's ofcourse a tradeoff, since you'd like the modules to be as complete as possible, you could still use modules, but as a linkset rather than a single object.

Well, ok. I think , that i missed the number, because i mentioned "you use physics, i think LI = 4" ...

So maybe Dain should be the one to take the next turn ? Anyways, here is mine:

textured.png

wireframe.png

Details:

• size: 20 * 14 * 7 centimeters
  • 3 materials
  • all 4 LODS defined (no billboard on LOD0)
  • forget physics.

go :)

Ok, this was not easy for me as I had to find something I'm not selling yet, or you could just check the marketplace. I did make a video with another version of this bigwheel, but the Li is considerably different now. This has 3 mesh parts linked together. The body is 1 mesh, the front wheel with pedals is the other, and the back 2 wheels is the 3rd mesh. The size is .792x.792x.560. Even though I do plan on making a vehicle version, and an AO version, don't think of it in those terms. Just think of it as an object.

MDHUbigwheel.jpg

Also i see this is Fun ^^

Lemme join in here

The following object

Cutboard_001.png

It has 3 Materials / Faces for textures

The Dimensions are

X= 0.7
Y= 0.85
Z= 0.06

The Knife and the Board are exactly 1 Mesh,

Because of the small size LOD 1 = 2 = 3 while 4 is the lowest possible triangle count (generated).

Nope!

But 3 textures, yes. This is just 1 of those things that was impossible to really put it all on 1 texture, but you can bet I tried, lol.

Oh, incase you didn't see the rules. The way this works is whomever guesses the Land Impact right, gets to post their mesh for every1 to guess. It has to be a mesh you created too. I'm not implying that what you posted is not yours, just pointing out the rules.

Dain Shan wrote:

Also i see this is Fun ^^

Lemme join in here

The following object

CHEAT!

HE IS CHEATING! THERE IS A CHEATER HERE EVERYONE. :smileyhappy:

You are only allowed to post a mesh pic if you correctly guessed the LI of the previous mesh. As Medhue is the current winner we are guessing his LI at the moment.

If you can't play fairly then you won't be able to play at all. :smileytongue:

@Porky - Nope!

@Alisha - I always tried to switch sides everytime I was braking and sliding, which was hard to do when you can only go around the block and all the turns are lefties. So, then I had 2 wore down flats spots, lol. The virtual bigwheel doesn't have this issue. Oh, and no, on your guess. The texturing is not totally done, but yes, I created the texture for the wheel in photoshop and just used some basic shapes and features. No baking.

It is worth noting, Yeah, the back wheel is under 1 prim, but the front wheel has pedals, which add more geometry than you think. Plus, the body has forks, which have 2 arms. 1 for either side. The body itself takes up most of the Land Impact cost, and needs a pretty complex physics box.

Nope!

It is quite likely I could get it that low, cause there is some waste in the model. It's really the LODs that are pushing the Land Impact up, as it is not big enough to eliminate the lowest LOD. Of course, spending more time on the lowest LOD would easily get me to 6, but I'm quite comfortable with the Land Impact I'm getting, and I doubt very much I will be doing any more modeling work on it. There is a wireframe with me pointing out the really wasteful areas. maybe this will help. This was like the 3rd model that I ever made.

wireframebigwheel.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.