Sign in to follow this  
MsShy

I think someone is able to control my avatar when I'm logged off.

Question

I really don't think you have anything to worry about as what you describe can happen without someone logging into your account.  But if you are concerned, change your password.  The only way someone can assume control of avatar is to log into your account.

--Cinn

3 answers to this question

I really don't think you have anything to worry about as what you describe can happen without someone logging into your account.  But if you are concerned, change your password.  The only way someone can assume control of avatar is to log into your account.

--Cinn

Re the "alt click camera follows you forever" comment. Holding down the Alt key and clicking on someone centers them in your viewer. Alt clicking on yourself does the same. If you alt click on someone and they walk away -- your camera follows. That is all. The minute that they log off or TP away you lose the connection. I use this often in filmmaking and I just did a test right now to make SURE that was correct. It is.

Basically, she was just trying to "yank your chain" as you are new. Wish that wouldn't happen but it does.

Never give anyone your log in info and you will be fine.   The info in your profile must be SAVED (something that I still forget to do sometimes) in order to "stick" and there are plenty of times when you are not returned to the last location as that place may be off line at the moment or the database may simply have forgotten. Not everything works perfectly here. Still it is MUCH better than it used to be :D.

Cheers.

• Like 3

You can lock your camera to an avatar...just hold ALT and left click that avatar.  Your camera is now "focused" on this spot.  Since the spot is an avatar, when they move, your camera will move with them, "following" them.  This will continue until you click something else, changing the focus point of your camera.

This is not harmful, and if they teleport away, your camera will not follow them wherever they are on the grid.  (I have, however, followed flying avatars across several sims).  You certainly cannot follow someone "forever".

The logging in at a strange location has nothing to do with the above.  It's probably just that your last location was unavailable when you logged in.  However, if you are concerned that your account has been compromised, change your password.  NOTE:  Do not leave "Remember my password" checked on your log in screen.  If you do, anyone who has access to your computer can use your avatar.

• Like 1