face shape

Marifee Dexler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When editing head shape, does anyone know the correct ratio between upper and lower cheeks to get rid of the shadows ive always got there.  I dont really want to light my face up like a blast furnace but i can't get the balance right.  Also i have creases by the sides of the nose.  I see other avatars who dont have this problem but so far no one has responded to my question.  I've tried altering upper cheeks, lower cheeks, cheek bones, nose but nothing works.  In most lighting i've got these shadows on my face..it looks almost like two downward-facing flat panels under the upper cheeks.  I dont wear a cheapie shape and my skin is a LAQ glow skin.  Any help would be most appreciated.  :)

What I do: I don't go out in the midday sun:smileyvery-happy:
Seriously the windlight settings mean it all.
The light at 9 AM or 3 PM will never give you those ugly shadows

I agree with you that face lights are a really bad solution.

Whatever you do, you can not know what other people see!
They have their own windlight setting and may not see face lights (worn point light may be shut off in the viewer)

In general, try lowering your cheekbones and make your lower cheeks comparatively "well fed." It's all the lighting though. LAQ and other shops offer tips on re-setting the lighting to be more flattering. That's the way it works in the real world too a lot of the time; your brain sort of edits out the shadows when you're looking at a person's face "live" but you see them in a photograph so photographers use complex lighting.

Also, all Second Life shapes are made from exactly the same mesh and sliders that you have access to when you create a new shape. Bear in mind that many shapes made by skin manufacturers are set up to give a certain look under a very controlled environment and they may not actually look good in the real imaginary world. Personally, I think some face shapes from major skin manufacturers would terrify small children.

There's not really any way that you can alter the shape of the face to eliminate those lines. They're a lighting thing more than a shape thing. The people you see who don't have them probably have facelights on to get rid of them; or are standing in a certain place, at a certain angle, where the shadows aren't settling in those places right at that moment. To get rid of them on your own viewer, you can change your windlight settings. I agree with you that a facelight is not a great solution, but it is the only one that will affect how other people see you. However, as someone else says, you never know what other people are seeing on their own screens. You CAN find/buy "soft" facelights, but better, I think, is to just change your own settings and be done with it.

• 1 year later...

Windlight settings do, indeed do wonders for those angular creases, but so far this shape has the least amount of creasing I've ever seen, to the point where it looks pretty nice even in bad lighting.

It's a little pricey for just a shape but I like it a lot so far. I wasn't crazy about the rest of the body proportions but it's modifiable.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.