Jump to content

Is fish hunt still popular?


DjWhiteBoi
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Just realized I've never tried fishing out in SL. It sounds fun. But I was wondering if it's still popular? Is there any groups/communities or somewhere to find fishing buddies?

 

Also, has anyone tried the Farm Frenzy? (breedable worms) How's the market for selling worms to other fishermen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if you want to try fishing why not give 7seas a go it's possibily the most popular best known fishing game in SL i believe there is a support group for it and theres a social chat group i own the 7seas pro rod which allows you to get XP points and much rarer fishes as well as common fish, blueprints & salvage to make gadgets and boats ect that the casual rod offers.

some locations in SL have fishing contests that offer cash prizes for catching the most or largest weight fish usually all the gear is set up and you don't need your own rod

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i've never tried the fish hunt but it seems to be incredibily expensive to get in to nearly L$1000 for a rod nearly L$2500 to farm worms plus extra to buy breeding packs and thats to be able to play if it's anything like the coin game from the same creator you'll probably make a pittance when you hook a fish. 7seas on the other hand much cheaper pro rod L$250 bait bucket starts at L$30

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7Seas events are run by anyone who has a fishing area. I've seen people running them in some of the groups I'm in (I'm not in any special fishing groups, which I'm sure have more going on). Fishing areas on the website are updated automatically, as it's done with an in-world tool... so the list should be pretty accurate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7Seas hands down is the best.

Don't waste your time with fish hunt, or any of the other products provided by that particular company. There is an awful lot of negativity and issues surrounding them and their products right now(and has been, for some time). Doesn't matter if what's being said/done is true or not, the negativity alone is enough to scare most people away(or, in most cases, annoy them away, lol). It's a pretty big money sink at the moment, and a lot of people have learned the hard way. :(

7Seas has top notch customer support, always has. There's always new things to do, and hundreds, if not thousands of locations to fish all across the grid. Lots of creators make their own prizes, hold their own fish games and races even. There's really a crap ton to do inworld as far as 7Seas is concerned. It's a relatively cheap hobby too. Great way to meet people because most of the people you meet, aren't there to make money, they're more likely to actually speak to you, lol. Anytime there IS an issue (rare) they get right on it. I once had a misdelivery of a bait bucket, well, failed delivery. Not even an hour after I sent a NC and an IM the staff was online and resending my bait, and I even got extra to compensate for the wait. I wasn't in any hurry, but that was a really great touch. Plus they offer other folks around the grid the chance to make a little money too, with their vendors and whatnot. Lots of people make other fish, new catches, rods, all sorts of things to go along with their stuff. They have a developers package you can buy. I've rarely heard a negative word about them or any of their products. Some of the catches are pretty cool, they have some funny ones too.

No I don't work for them, nor was I paid to say that :P lol, I just really like their style and think they represent a lot of what's missing from many similar things in their area. I give props where due. They get as many props as I can send them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Tari Landar wrote:

7Seas hands down is the best.

Don't waste your time with fish hunt, or any of the other products provided by that particular company. There is an awful lot of negativity and issues surrounding them and their products right now(and has been, for some time). Doesn't matter if what's being said/done is true or not, the negativity alone is enough to scare most people away(or, in most cases, annoy them away, lol). It's a pretty big money sink at the moment, and a lot of people have learned the hard way.
:(

7Seas has top notch customer support, always has. There's always new things to do, and hundreds, if not thousands of locations to fish all across the grid. Lots of creators make their own prizes, hold their own fish games and races even. There's really a crap ton to do inworld as far as 7Seas is concerned. It's a relatively cheap hobby too. Great way to meet people because most of the people you meet, aren't there to make money, they're more likely to actually speak to you, lol. Anytime there IS an issue (rare) they get right on it. I once had a misdelivery of a bait bucket, well, failed delivery. Not even an hour after I sent a NC and an IM the staff was online and resending my bait, and I even got extra to compensate for the wait. I wasn't in any hurry, but that was a really great touch. Plus they offer other folks around the grid the chance to make a little money too, with their vendors and whatnot. Lots of people make other fish, new catches, rods, all sorts of things to go along with their stuff. They have a developers package you can buy. I've rarely heard a negative word about them or any of their products. Some of the catches are pretty cool, they have some funny ones too.

No I don't work for them, nor was I paid to say that
:P
lol, I just really like their style and think they represent a lot of what's missing from many similar things in their area. I give props where due. They get as many props as I can send them.

Thanks for all of that info.:matte-motes-big-grin:         Hope I get around to fishing soon.. seems I'm always busy in SL lately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know the most wonderful thing about Sl ? is that people form their own likes and dislikes. While  this lady hasnt tried fish hunt Herself  she sure has opion thats easly influenced.  Fish Hunt Has Free Beginners rod you can try and make your own choice based on your own experiances.  Fishers are earning up to 500 L a day doing something they enjoy.  People like to toss Rocks at things that shine.  Give it a try yourself .

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Linna Magic wrote:

You know the most wonderful thing about Sl ? is that people form their own likes and dislikes. While  this lady hasnt tried fish hunt Herself  she sure has opion thats easly influenced.  Fish Hunt Has Free Beginners rod you can try and make your own choice based on your own experiances.  Fishers are earning up to 500 L a day doing something they enjoy.  People like to toss Rocks at things that shine.  Give it a try yourself .

You're really going to offer advice after attempting to insult, on your very first post here?

That alone is one reason to avoid fish hunt(look in the forums here, as well as all around the web, you'll find other threads about it, and the same thing pops up every.single.time, new posters come to "defend" lol). If folks promoting it are, in the same breath, insulting others, it sorta rubs folks the wrong way. I'm quite certain the OP doesn't have an opinion that's easily swayed, I know I don't(despite what you might think). I'm also quite certain that person can make their own mind up, lol. Asking for opinions is, well, exactly that, doesn't mean you'll take any one of them as the be all end all. Most adults are quite aware we all have our own opinions and there will be folks who love fish hunt, folks who hate it, folks who don't care, you name it. Same with any other product on the market.

Your information is incorrect as well. There may be a few, and I am using that term very generously here(because it's not even remotely accurate, and I know firsthand), who are making *some linden with fish hunt, certainly not $500L a day. Many of the people who are making some linden, are also then spending that linden in the worm craze, so it's a bust for them. I wouldn't promote it as a way to make money. But rather as just a fun thing to do-you'll get much further.There are folks who absolutely love the hobby, and don't mind this money sink(I personally have my own money sinks too, I understand their feeling on that one). But the majority of those who do it, do it for *fun* not to make money. Making money in any of those products is darn near impossible *right now*, because of all the issues. Not just fish hunt and products made by that company, but a LOT of the products, in that same sort of area. Do it because you enjoy it, not for the money. Creators should stop using "ways to make money" as an advertising tool for them, it's misleading, and disappointing for some to find out later.(yes I know, buyer beware, and a hard lesson learned for the buyer who isn't)

Yes, I do have personal experience, so I'm not just talking out of my rear here, lol. I wouldn't say it simply based on hearsay, that wouldn't be right. I prefer to make up my own mind about things(hence why I try things out, lol). When asked though, I'll give a fair assessment based on not only my experience but also those around me and that which I can see with my own two eyes. I don't jump to conclusions easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...


Just so it's clear, Linna is on the moderation team for the Gold Hunt/Fish Hunt/whathaveyou, so it's understandable she'd come to defend it.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend getting into any of those games. I too did the math on the worm farming, and found that in order to simply recover your investment and turn the tiniest sum of profit, you would need to farm consistently for 414 days straight, or more than an entire year. This number is reached assuming two distinct things:

 

  1. That the worm farm is the only interaction with the family of products, and
  2. that prices that can, do not fluctuate.

 

I arrived at this number based on the following information:

 

  • One small worm farm costs L$2,490.
  • A small worm pack costs L$10 to purchase (single-use).
  • Small worm farm comes with a worms pack, making the effective price L$2,480.
  • Price of biowaste (needing 12, with the information I found): L$1.
  • Price of Clean Water (need 4, according to information): L$2.
  • Small worm farm always produces exactly 100 worms.
  • Small worm farm takes 24 hours from plant to harvest.
  • Current price of small worms (and going rate in general): L$0.40.
  • 10% commission (with no notice of such) on the worms exchange.

 

As you can see, the cost of the first worm pack is already factored in to the initial purchase price. However, it does not contain everything necessary for the first batch, and so the 'effective price' is lowered by that first pack's cost to keep the calculations accurate.

First thing you need for a batch of worms is the pack. It's L$10.

Second, you need, according to the most recent information I can find, 12 units of biowaste. At L$1 each on the exchange, it is L$12, making the total now L$22.

Finally, you need 4 units of clean water, at L$2 per unit. This is a total of L$8, making the final cost to farm one crop of worms L$30.

Then, after you take the 24 hour break, you sell them, and they go fast at L$0.40 each. After the commission, you earn L$36, of which L$6 is above and beyond your outlay for the consumable products. Since you haven't recovered any of the L$2,480 that you still put down from the farm on your first batch, none of it is profit, and you need to subtract it from your initial outlay.

The end result, when you finally harvest and sell your 414th batch, is a profit of approximately L$4.

 

Of course, the real problem comes from the fact that the creator of these games doesn't like these numbers being brought to light, and with his actions against those that attempt to do so.

In mid-December last year, I expressed my concerns that the in-progress crafting system based on the breedable pet he was creating would fall into the same numbers trap. Within 48 hours, I was removed from the Gold Hunt group, and my ability to access my funds at the ATM objects he employs, which eventually settled at L$942, was removed. He had apparently added my UUID to a blacklist. I was also, and still am, according to his website, the leader of a 'Gold Hunt clan' named "Lowdown Linden Lifters", and thus entitled to claim the funds that accrue there as well, currently at L$924, and slowly growing. These funds were also repeatedly denied to me for over two months. Every time I attempted to speak with him and get him to release those funds to me, he insisted I speak with the moderator who removed me from the group, despite the fact he is the only one, to my knowledge, with the ability to add and remove such blocks.

Finally, after hearing a report of his 'doing cleaning' on his database, I checked, and found my record stricken from the database, at least for the most part. I am still listed as the owner of my Gold Hunt clan, although I suspect that it too will be modified at some point in the future.

It is also worth noting that at the time of my group removal and blacklisting, his Terms of Service did not specify fund freezing or ATM blacklisting as a potential consequence, and that at the time of the group removal, the reason I was given was that I swore too much in the group chat. This, I did, and I admit to it. I dropped the F-bomb in telling off an unsolicited advertiser in the group chat. Only later, when I was told my funds were frozen, did the claim against me become what he considers 'defamation'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to be a moderator for Gold/Fish Hunt. Even though I stepped down from that position, I continue to fish everyday. It's enjoyable. The community is great. One of the best groups I've ever been a part of.  I've made many good friends and a  good time is easily found at every fishing hole.

I don't fish to make money. I do it for fun. People who enter into ventures in SL with the sole purpose of making money, are on average, sorely disappointed. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And that's the one part of this whole mess that leaves me baffled. I did join with the idea of making money, and since I only participated in Gold Hunt for any length of time, not only did I, but I was pretty good at it.

Before this incident, I had earned and successfully withdrawn a 5-figure amount of L$. Over time, sure, but I did. Why, then, risk everything that's been built up, over a fraction of the amount already paid out without problems?

Of course, during the time I was involved, I'd seen the creator was unable to take even useful criticism as anything less than a personal attack, and have him cry 'defamation' (ProTip: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"). Thus, I'd made a decision to get as much L$ as I could from what I had, and get out before it all fell down. I'd seen similar writing on the wall with Ginko (and yes, I know I'm dating myself here, but tough), and we know how that turned out. I was nearly to that point where I could 'get out' when I got blocked.

Silly. Just completely silly. All I wanted was to collect the last bit of my money and get gone. At that point, even if I did disagree with how he ran things, I'd be completely unable to truthfully say the creator didn't keep his word when it comes to important things like paying out funds on record as being owed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm on the 7Seas team so I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for mentioning our game! Tari, that is a really great summary, and I'm so glad everyone likes it. It's our strong community offering endless new catchables and contests that really keep it going strong.

You're right, I haven't updated http://www.7seasfishing.com since 2010 (I was busy having various babies and medical drama, but that's over, so this is on my "do this ASAP!" list.)

7Seas is still quite active, though. Not only are the community builders very prolific, but Meissa and I have been coordinating fishing festivals and related prizes every six months for the 7Seas community. For example, Fishiversary festival is coming up from March 23 to 26, 2012. Watch group notices for more info.

We have some other interesting plans coming up to help the community promote their own items. But that's not finalized yet so that's probably all I should say!

As for other fishing in SL, believe it or not I do encourage you to check them all out. I haven't played them myself, but a lot of our fishers enjoy other fishing systems as well. And why not -- the more fishing fans there are in general, the better it is for everyone. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I only play Fish Hunt, but that's because it's free to get the beginner's rod, and because last time I checked, some other fishing games weren't updated for years.

 

Fish hunt has a free beginner's rod, and you can earn L$ from it (Yay, money!)

 

Farm Frenzy is a really good thing to do, or so I've heard. If you want to learn more, join Linden Gold Hunters.

 

:) Hope I helped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm 7seas all the way, I have 3 customized third party rods (used in conjunction with the invisible rod of course) 1 is a harpoon gun, one is a net, and one is a trained falcon, 

 

my only suggestion for 7seas is if they made a setting so you can set the server to  only give freshwater or saltwater fish, it's a bit wierd and kind of silly when i am on a sim that has a tiny landlocked pond and I catch a hammerhead shark (besides that would encourage exploring different sims for different catches)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I totaly agree with you, and i guess its even worse today, i am very new to sl so i am not sure i getted everything right but for me if i farm worms i would get exactly the same money when selling them as they cost for me to buy. Small worms cost about 0.2 l$ to buy in those barrels. I dont understand that people still farming them? do they get clean water for free in sl?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Warning: Thread is almost a year old.

I enjoy fish hunt. I fish while reading the forums and surving the internet on the days where I am not inspired to create something. On my days off I gain 300-500 Linden per day. On the average days where I don't fish an extreme amount of time on the side I gain about 150 Linden, which x7 is 1050 Linden, half of my weekly tier, gained by just clicking on my rod while reading the forums :P

Mind you, I do have invested into a magic rod, the higher your rank, the higher the fraction of bonus Linden you get per cast.

I agree about the worm farms, while it seems like a fun thing to do, it's really not profitable, and I am unsure (but as a fisher glad) that people still do it.

Gold hunt is nothing for me, it's annoying xD

I do have a few snuffles, because I love breedables, and I use their materials to make food for my shubbie for almost free.

Overall, it does give good Linden, if you have the Linden to invest first. Otherwise I'd recommend gold hunt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


iCade wrote:

General Warning: Thread is almost a year old.

I enjoy fish hunt. I fish while reading the forums and surving the internet on the days where I am not inspired to create something. On my days off I gain 300-500 Linden per day. On the average days where I don't fish an extreme amount of time on the side I gain about 150 Linden, which x7 is 1050 Linden, half of my weekly tier, gained by just clicking on my rod while reading the forums
:P

Mind you, I do have invested into a magic rod, the higher your rank, the higher the fraction of bonus Linden you get per cast.

I agree about the worm farms, while it seems like a fun thing to do, it's really not profitable, and I am unsure (but as a fisher glad) that people still do it.

Gold hunt is nothing for me, it's annoying
xD

I do have a few snuffles, because I love breedables, and I use their materials to make food for my shubbie for almost free.

Overall, it does give good Linden, if you have the Linden to invest first. Otherwise I'd recommend gold hunt.

This thread is almost 2 years old.. and seven seas is more fun.. :P

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...