Best spot to place sit script in mesh chairs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would say that resolution is dependent on what the object is. If some areas of your mesh need more resolution than others, like the head of a mesh avatar might need to have more detail, then you would simply make that area of the map larger. Usually, while I unwrap the mesh, I decide what areas need the most resolution, and automatically make that area take up the most area on the map. Whether you need a 512X512 or 1024x1024 is completely up to you. I would not consider a 1024x1024 texture on a large object to be too much. I would consider a texture that large on a tiny object way overboard tho. These are very much opinions, but I would just say to try and use good judgement and technique while you create and let your eye be the judge. Efficiency should always be the goal tho. While others probably use more, I almost always put the whole mesh, and many times multiple meshes, all on 1 texture, even for my avatars and NPCs. This usually requires me to use a 1024x1024. To me, this makes more sense than making some1's pc cache multiple textures.

• Like 1

Something I learned recently that wasn't obvious to me at first.....if you manually create all the LODS in Max, then you need to use the exact same materials as you did in the original model. However, each LOD model can be uv mapped differently.

So I am assuming that if your lowest LOD model is just a rectangle for example and you didn't want anyone to see it, you could put a 100% transparent texture on all the outward faces of the rectangle Then just include a hidden set of triangles or faces somewhere out of sight to host the other materials . You would also need to make sure that your other 3 LOD models also contained the transparent material hidden somewhere. I haven't tried it out yet, just what I learnt on these forums.

Take into account this information has gone through the Porky Filter so could have come out on this page as being complete bollocks. :smileywink:

I would only suggest that you check your Display Cost. Every mesh has a display cost, on top of all the other weights. This becomes more obvious with worn meshes, as they affect the avatars display cost, or whatever it is called now. Adding transparent parts to a mesh, will increase that display cost, so just keep an eye on this as you make things.

Porky Gorky wrote:

So I am assuming that if your lowest LOD model is just a rectangle for example and you didn't want anyone to see it, you could put a 100% transparent texture on all the outward faces of the rectangle

Am I missing something? If you don't want people to see it.... don't build it. It will save you geometry and it will save you the display penalty Medhue mentioned.

I've generally been trying to ensure that all my LOD's fill up the bounding box to the same extent as the highest LOD model. So each LOD is proportionally the same size but with less geometry the lower I go.

Now I think of it I think this may have been a self imposed rule as I can't remember where I read it. 

I'll stop doing that then. 

The SL uploader will rescale all your LoD models to the size of your highest LoD. So what you can do for the lowest LoD is creating a single triangle for every material, make them very very small and place them far apart. If you then also let those triangle face downwards (or the least looked at direction anyway), people won't ever see them. I read the uploader ignores real small triangles, so that might be something to take in mind. Either way there's no benefit in making an invisible face just for the lower LoD.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

[snip] Efficiency should always be the goal tho. While others probably use more, I almost always put the whole mesh, and many times multiple meshes, all on 1 texture, even for my avatars and NPCs. This usually requires me to use a 1024x1024. To me, this makes more sense than making some1's pc cache multiple textures.

Good point.  Thanks for reminding me that this applies to mesh as well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.