Mac Crashes while Downloading Clothing every time. SL 3.2.5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every single time.  Can't come in world :(

Second Life 3.2.5 (247236) Jan 5 2012 12:08:13 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7600 @ 3.06GHz (3060 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670 OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-1.6.36

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with GCC version 40001

I have been dealing with this very same issue for over two weeks now. If i manage to get logged in Secondlife works a couple of hours but the next day its the same thing. However I only have this issue on one account, my second account logs in perfectly with zero issues.

I am using the official secondlife viewer, have done a complete clean install and still crash instantly when clothing is downloading.

I opened a few tickets and have yet to receive a solution from LL.  If I come across anything that works I will share. :/

My System info:

Second Life 3.2.5 (247236) Jan  5 2012 12:08:13 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (2200 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun  7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 6750M OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-1.6.36

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with GCC version 40001

very interesting that it only affects one account... I tried the same and I am able to use my wife's account on this machine no problem.  So the problem is with my clothes?  One issue that may be a part of this is that I play music in SL and in my studio I have a very old computer that I use.  It works fine, but I have to use a very old version of SL 1.2 or something like that.  I wonder if using these two viewers at different times is the culprit. 

I have seriously tried everything I can think of, even got someone to remotely connect to my computer and do the clean install for me in case it was something I was missing. I only use Viewer 3 because otherwise LL will not offer "technical support" but all their "support" has been to tell me to do clean installs. I even contacted my ISP to run a check on my connection.

I have the same problem, it crashes after being online for a few minutes, I move around a bit, then I start spinning and I have crashed, this has been happening for awhile I just sold my property and when my payment period is over, probably will just quit as its getting so annoying, I have a really good computer and have been a member since 2006, thought the technology would be great by now

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just went through this problem and hopefully solved it.  I figured I'd post and maybe it could help.

The first problem I had was that I was clicking on clothing items and trying to wear them but the would not appear on my av.  I tried several times and with a couple different items of clothing but they would not appear.  So I thought I'll relog and see if that clears the problem.  Just my luck that was the start of the problem. I couldn't log on and would crash everytime I reached the Downloading clothing stage.  The view would either freeze up needing a force quit or it would just dissapear.  I tried both the SL viewer and Firestorm neither worked. 

First thing I did was to clear the cache and deleted the user folder in both viewers.  After that didn't work I threw out the view applications, redownloaded and reinstalled.  Still no go.  The I looked up some other forums and threw out the data base files...the data.db and index.db files. I was able to log on but only for a minute or so.

Now I normally I use wireless, I know not supported so when I had the chance I plugged into the modem with a cable.  Finally I could get past the downloading clothing stage but the viewer would dissapear after a couple minutes.   So next time I was able to log I  threw out the Firestorm folder, emptied the trash and then opened my current outfit folder.  I saw that it was saying that I was wearing about ten copies of the same item.  All the items I was trying to put on right before the problem started and a few others.  Though a few log ins I was able to take off all the extra items of clothing and finally my av started to rez.  There current outfit folder was still showing items I wasn't able to see I was wearing   I got all of those items off until what was in that folder matched.  Then I quit out (instead of crashing) cleared the cache, threw out the db files again, and logged on.  When I appeared what I was in the Current outfit folder matched visually what my av was wearing.  I turned all settings to low and  I stayed still until the inventory folder loaded.  It took a few times and finally did fully load on Firestorm.  Now I can log on normally even back using wireless again.

I'm not sure which of these stages did the trick but it seems that the duplicate items in the current outfit folder was crashing the viewer. 

I hope this may help you or anyone else who gets this problem.

• 6 months later...

I am still early in confirming this totally worked, but it seems to have. Firestorm crashes instantly at downloading clothes, but other viewers (LL, Exodus) dont, and at least let you login for a second. But I wasnt able to fix using them...

Step 1. Go wired, if you are wireless hook up directly

Step 2. Use Phoenix Viewer1.5.2.818 (only I can confirm this viewer but an old or any Phoenix may work)

Step 3. Login and take off all your clothes in the "worn" tab

Thats it. Im back.  I'm running on OSX 10.6.8. Thanks to dTaylorSL for the hints!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.