I'm addicted to SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think this is a real problem of mine, i've had several avatars before (like 2 years ago) and the reasion i quit wasn't because i grew tired of SL it was because i loved it too much and was scared that that would create problems in my RL...i abandoned alot of friends and i have a nice SL starting, very promising, but still i decided to quit.

When i created this avatar i told myself i would be more carefull (i missed SL) but i got so scared i uninstalled the viewer right after i created my avi and walked around for a bit, so i keep myself on the forums so i don't get addicted like i was before...

Is anyone there with a similar problem? What do you think about this?

the forums can become as addictive as the in world lol

i used to really want to be back on the grid all the time..it was fun ..shopping was fun and my friends were really fun..

but each time drama hit..it made it easier and easier to back away from it more and more..

then when i started to see patterns in people after a few years..it was like you could predict the direction they were going..almost predict when the drama was going to hit and the phase of sl they were in..it was too scary and too predictable..like watching a really long rerun or something lol

so to avoid repeating bad patterns i would cut things short and become more reclusive in world..

when someone would start to get all dramatic i would all of a sudden get an important RL call or ..have to go my bf is home!!

i'm not addicted like i once was..i've more or less incorporated sl into my RL and enjoy the good people i meet in the forums and in world and leave the rest to the games they play hehehehe

i think it's only natural to be overcome at a certain point because it all feels so good..but i also think sooner or later we wise up and fit it into our lives the way we want it to be fitting..not the way the world wants it to fit..*winks*

so give it time..you will find your fit sooner or later..just takes time =)

Are you addicted or do you just fear you could get it? There is nothing wrong with having fun here or love to logg in....I bet people with other hobbies feel the same, the difference is just that other activities are quite more accepted than SL. So ask yourself: Do you feel bad because you think you do something wrong cause its the way others see it or do you really have the feeling your missing something cause of SL?

Rene Erlanger wrote:

I'm the complete opposite to you...i rarely have drama on the Grid, but historically much more on these Forums.....with the likes of that nutter Suspiria and those similar types.!

i rarely have drama now..this was a long time ago before i gained control and stopped letting myself get sucked in heheheh

i have no drama in either place really hehehehe

ETA: wow like seconds after i made this post someone IM'd me saying congrats..you are in sl for 2000 days today lol ..

i never saw it coming!! \o/ heheheh

Yes SL addiction is quite common..here's some questions you could ask yourself:

1) Has SL caused, or been the cause of a job loss, or demotion?

2) Has SL caused problems in my personal life, have RL relationships ended or been damaged?

3) Has SL caused me health issues ?

4) Has SL been the cause of any financial problems ?

5) Has your life become unmanageable due to SL usage?

This is from a famous 12 step program, that can be applied to any type of addiction. Be aware, everyone has them, its how you manage your addictions that counts. One thing I must emphasize, SL is not an E-Harmony web tool. This is the very last place anyone should look for a RL relationship. Way too much can be hidden behind these avi's, and run not walk away from anyone that pushes for RL information, meetings, etc before you feel comfortable. There is no screening, or protection from anyone you socialize with in SL, so with that in mind, have fun, enjoy SL, but don't let it override your RL social structures.

I've always have had this one avatar, but i agree that SL can be very addictive, specially in the starting days when all is new and fun. However i've always been critical about SL, never have wasted a single cent on it and i have been keeping an observing mind keeping SL at a some distance in my head. Meanwhile i enjoy SL as a kind of continueoum of RL when time. Graphics and ppl in RL are nicer anyway lol. But i seem to be unique is that. Of course i have lovely friends, but they are very very very selective.

SL has never caused me any harm concerning RL since i have been able to embed into my RL. SL even has been the inspiration to start my own RL business with success, however once you've seen about all and know about a great deal of things, see pattens in behaviour of ppl SL balances out to my experience.

Addicted? I'm not sure I know what that would be like. I get totally immersed in things. So much so that, with some thing, like SL some time ago, I'd get up, get into it, and I'd get out as I went to bed. Totally immersed, but I wouldn't describe it as an addiction. I can only be immersed like that in one thing at a time, of course, but SL isn't my first, or even my second. I wasn't ever addicted to any of those things, and as time went by - sometimes a year or three - I'd naturally come out of the total immersion. My brain gets involved with things in that total immersive way, but I don't believe it's ever an addiction for me.

AmberMisteryrouge wrote:

I think this is a real problem of mine, i've had several avatars before (like 2 years ago) and the reasion i quit wasn't because i grew tired of SL it was because i loved it too much and was scared that that would create problems in my RL...i abandoned alot of friends and i have a nice SL starting, very promising, but still i decided to quit.

When i created this avatar i told myself i would be more carefull (i missed SL) but i got so scared i uninstalled the viewer right after i created my avi and walked around for a bit, so i keep myself on the forums so i don't get addicted like i was before...

Is anyone there with a similar problem? What do you think about this?

If you were able to quit, that's not addiction.

SL never closes (well, rarely), so whenever we log out, we know that SLife is going on without us. 

It's more a case of not wanting to miss something; like when you know there is a party or event going on in real life that you didn't go to, and yet you wonder what everyone is doing there.

Hello Amber. As others mentioned i can admit that SL can be very addictive. However i am not addicted and i don't allow SL to affect my RL. I know to control it. Also i never mix SL with RL. For me SL is a good way to cover some of my real free time and nothing more. RL is always my priority. I love my SL friends (i know they love me too) but i have never denied to meet a RL friend 'cause i had to stay more online in SL. Last summer i was away 3 months (away from forums also). Missed both, but it is ok. I am sure that i can live without them. My feeling is that a break from SL is the best you can do.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Addicted? I'm not sure I know what that would be like. I get totally immersed in things. So much so that, with some thing, like SL some time ago, I'd get up, get into it, and I'd get out as I went to bed. Totally immersed, but I wouldn't describe it as an addiction. I can only be immersed like that in one thing at a time, of course, but SL isn't my first, or even my second. I wasn't ever addicted to any of those things, and as time went by - sometimes a year or three - I'd naturally come out of the total immersion. My brain gets involved with things in that total immersive way, but I don't believe it's ever an addiction for me.

:smileyvery-happy:

I enjoy building objects in SL, I do not think I will ever be bored with that activity.

People from Countries around the World, is a great attraction to me. I visited several un-official Welcome centers for Nations other than my own. I can only see opportunity in those places.

The Residents in SL, are Second Life's best feature. Working, chatting, and joking with other Residents has helped me to better understand the people I have met. It has also helped me to better understand myself; I find value in that.

I was ridiculously addicted to SL for a while. I'd wake up, login, go to work, login when I could, go home, login, sleep...rinse and repeat. I used to run to the loo fgs just so I could rush back, but oh my did I have fun!

I had a mixture of drama, heartbreak and RL illness to make me realise how much of my life I was wasting so I logged out for 4 months and came back, still with the same avi.

I realised in that time that actually, I was never going to meet the people who affected me so much, so what was the point in getting upset about it. In short, I relaxed, gave up SLex and relationships and concentrated on my friends, both SL and RL.

I can still find someone to dance with if I want to and at the same time I can chat about stuffs instead of all that sweaty emoting stuff. 

I love my SL now. It's creative, fun, educational and non-addictive. Take the break whenever you need to. It's worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hm.. I can't really say I'm addicted to SL, not at all.. I dont really feel the need to log in everyday or such since I'll probably end up bored, but maybe it's just me since I dont do much on there or haven't tried new things.
I was pretty sure I'll become addicted to it because in RL, besides going to work I dont really do anything else and I'm mostly home, but eh, didn't happen :catindifferent:

Christ of Christs.

yes SL can be addictive. When I was first on, I would spend every waking moment on here that I wasn't working. I mean at first you get so caught up in everything - the shopping, chatting, customizing your avatar, doing teh sects, maybe fixing up your home, I mean your avatar could become like an imaginary friend. My little Erin, who happens to be sitting on my desk and drinking my pepsi, agrees.

So yeah trust me, a lot of us know what SL addiction is. Eventually the novelty wears off tho.

I think what causes one to re-think how much time they spend in SL is when they start noticing it causing RL problems. Say like you lose your job on count of bad attendance, or maybe miss important meetings, or you are sitting there playing at night and "just a few more minutes" lasts until the sun rises.

• 1 month later...

Wow this hits home!. I think majority of us are addicted to SL some are too hard headed to see or admit it some don't even realize it. I've had my bouts with sl. In the beginning it was all fun and exciting, spanking new... I was young at the time so I was amazed at all the things I could get away with in world that I couldn't dare think of doing irl. Now a days I'd log in to play dress up with my tune even try my hand at some rp ( which usually leaves me bored to tears because, noone really "rps" anymore anyway ). If it wasn't for flickr and the occational blog posts ... oh and playing dressup.. I have no idea what I'd be doing in sl..... most of my good friends have moved on anyway.

• 5 weeks later...

Just my 'i've never done second life except once for a school session'-cents.

If you think you might be addicted you probably are. Quit the game immediately and spend the time that's left into working on your real life! There's so much to do, learn, laugh and understand.

Take your shoes and go for a walk. Don't think about SL but about your own life, what you want to do and what you want to accomplish. You know, the fun things.

In my view it's a waste using your mind in such a way. Can't be healthy!

I think, deep inside we all know this.

Good luck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.