Help with inworld mailing List Issue

Chrissy Ambrose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi , I wondered if anyone can give me some help with regard to a new issue occuring with a mailing list I am using. I have had no issues for the year I have been sending inventory to mailing list members. This last few times, yesterday and today when ive sent notecards, I have recieved this message from Second Life

"Second Life: Objects you own in Ekho have sent out excessive inventory and their offers have been temporarily deactivated. The last inventory offer sent was from 'Virtual Impressions Mailing List'.

After this message all items which give inventory stop working, including vendors, gift givers, landmarkers and notecard senders. Ive had to re-start the sim to get the objects to give inventory again.

Ive updated my kiosk with the latest version, but it makes no difference, I still get the message and subsiquent reaction. I am on a Magnum RC server .

I am wondering if anyone has some useful ideas to help me. (I am waiting on assistance from the creator also)

Thank you in advance , Chrissy :)) 

You have probably read the notes regarding throttling of instant messagee in the LSL wiki, but just in case....

All object IM's are throttled at >2500 per 30mins, per owner, per region in a rolling window. this includes IM's sent after the throttle is in place.  [....]  

• The throttle is on all IMs from the object owner. It does not disable all IMs in the region, but does disable all IMs from the owner of the object.
  • The throttle is not per object, but per owner. Splitting the spamming object into multiple objects will not help unless owned by different people. This also means that owning multiple almost too spammy objects will cause you to hit the limit.
  • 2500 IMs in 30 minutes will trigger the block.
  • IMs that are blocked continue to count against the throttle. The IM count must drop below 2500 before any IMs will be delivered.
  • The IM count of the previous window is used to approximate the rolling window. If it is 20% into the current window the IM count will be the current count + 80% of the previous count. This allows us to approximate a rolling average, however it has the behavior that a flood of IMs can have an effect on the throttle for double the window length. This is why in practice the throttle behaves more like 5k in 1hr than 2.5k in 30min.

So ..... Have an army of alts manage some of your IMs?

Thanks for the info Rolig, I do not have a lot techical knowledge with how scripts works, so this explanation helps me understand the issue. Im a little baffled how this is the first occasion Ive had this problem, and Ive been sending around 3000 notes within about 30 mins regularly. This object is designed to send up to 10,000 items over a short period. There is no mention of the effects of the im limit.

I am wondering , you say the object owner will have similar inventory items disabled, would that also happen if the server is in a different region. It is possible I can move it elswhere, if that is any help. Or would the same thing occur, with my objects wherever they are being affected?

If so if ive an alt who can operate and send the notes, but the object is still owned by me, will I still be responsible for the sent inventory?

Thank you again.

Chrissy

According to Kelly Linden's note, which I copied into my last post, the limit for throttling is per account.  IMs know no sim boundaries, so it won't matter where they are being sent from.  If one account sends too many per 30 minutes, it will be throttled. That's why I suggested that if you expect to be spamming the world with so many IMs that you expect to hit the limit, you should find some way to offload some of them to another account -- an alt or a friend.  I believe it's true that IMs sent by an object are counted against the object's owner, for the purposes of this limit. (EDIT:  Ah, Yes.  See bullet #2 in my first note: "The throttle is not per object, but per owner. Splitting the spamming object into multiple objects will not help unless owned by different people.")

There's a good reason for putting a limit like that on IMs.  Aside from the fact that mass mailings annoy a lot of people individually, sending that many IMs at once puts a heavy load on the servers.  That's one of the many faces of lag in SL.  Believe it or not, LL really does try to find ways to reduce lag when they can.  Therefore, take my note about having alts send the extra IMs as an answer, but not a recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received the same message. "IM: Second Life: Objects you own in Ho Su have sent out excessive inventory and their offers have been temporarily deactivated. The last inventory offer sent was from 'Prodigal Update'."

This is the first time I received such a message, so did something change? I sent just one notecard to my subscribers (about 4000). After googling this message, I found the creator of the subscriber kiosk I'm using asked the same question on Answers forums, so I'm kinda at a loss. lol

EDIT: Looks like it's a general issue for subscribo thingies so I'll contact the creator anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.