****CHEATING***OMG THE MAGIC OF SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ian Undercroft wrote:

Of course everyone is free to "play this game" howsoever they choose. By the same measure, everyone is free to judge others by whatever standard they themselves choose. Accordingly, if I discover that someone is a habitual "cheater" in SL, I exercise my right to treat them with the contempt that I believe their "dishonest" behaviour deserves.

Of course you do onewith!

And the person you treat contemptously has the right to not care what you think about them.

Jeanne

They also have the right to correct the mistaken impression in any way they see fit - provided they remain within the ToS.

The first and last person to take such an attitude with me was told in a not so very kind way to take their opinion and shove it into a rather dark, normally one way orifice, twist it on its side and pray that no lasting injury occurs,

This was followed up by a warning concerning the nature of Second Life (that not everyone treats the pixels on screen as an extension of their own being) and that passing judgement on those who are such does little more than brand oneself as a user who takes things way too seriously. An easy enough mark and often one to be utterly avoided due simply to the drama quotient.

Indeed, this person was a prime example concerning the ratio of drama to the seriousness of use. The more a person believes the pixels on the screen to be an extension of their being ... the more drama follows them around.

Solar Legion wrote:

They also have the right to correct the mistaken impression in any way they see fit - provided they remain within the ToS.

The first and last person to take such an attitude with me was told in a not so very kind way to take their opinion and shove it into a rather dark, normally one way orifice, twist it on its side and pray that no lasting injury occurs,

This was followed up by a warning concerning the nature of Second Life (that not everyone treats the pixels on screen as an extension of their own being) and that passing judgement on those who are such does little more than brand oneself as a user who takes things
way
too seriously. An easy enough mark and often one to be utterly avoided due simply to the drama quotient.

Indeed, this person was a prime example concerning the ratio of drama to the seriousness of use. The more a person believes the pixels on the screen to be an extension of their being ... the more drama follows them around.

Someone plays ya so you give em a piece of your mind. So what? They just laugh at you & move on to their next mark.

I don't pass any judgement on the different ways different people approach SL. Actually, I admire people who take it seriously, wear their hearts on their sleeves, are looking for love, are honest & sincere. It's just that not everyone is like this and there's no use in crying if you get taken for a ride & end up with your heart broken. You knew upfront that:

You don't really know who the other person is, what their motives are.

You don't know what kinduv psychopath or sociopath they may be.

You don't know what else they may be doing or who they may be doing it with...

So, just be in the here & now, I say. Enjoy SL - & RL too, for that matter - in the moment. If a person is coming across in a friendly & fun-loving way today, then enjoy them today. If tomorrow they reveal themselves as the pig they really are, oh well.. So what? Just shrug it off & move on. No regrets, no worries ...

As for drama: people love drama! They crave it. It relieves them from the boredom of their empty lives. People make drama over how much they say they detest drama. SL needs more drama, if anything, not less.

Jeanne

I think you misread my response Jeanne.

I was stating that I had someone who viewed Second Life a bit more seriously attemptt to pass judgement on me for not having the same view.

They were chewed out for daring to ascribe their own morality and views to someone who does not share them. 

sounds like you're giving the choice of being suspicious, insecure and assuming someone is a cheater or else being foolish. if people see it that way, then the same goes for RL. i rather trust until someone breaks the trust. but you're right about the timing. my grandma says "love in haste, repent at leisure. "

Solar Legion wrote:

Linden Lab is registered as a gaming corporation. Their product is registered as a game.

That's all you need to know to proceed with the facts.

All else concerning how one uses their product amounts to an opinion. 

The subject at hand here ISN'T about how one uses the product, what that product "is", or whether one treats it as a game or as a platform, it's about how one treats THE OTHER USERS of said game or platform. Each of us has a responsibility to know that others who do not share the same viewpoint are here, and to take precautions so that OUR OWN personal use and viewpoint of SL doesn't end up becoming "the great deception" in someone elses SL. SL may indeed be here for you to play as a game if you choose to view it as such, but it's other residents are not registered by LL, not NPCs, and not here for you to game. They may choose to play along, or play with you in your shared viewpoint, but a great deal of immaturity shows through if you choose to "play" your game of SL on them without their knowledge of said fact. No matter what viewpoint one personally takes, there is NO free pass or excuse that trumps the need for one to conduct themself with a little integrity.

I can appreciate where all the posters are coming from.  People enter SL with different desires and expectations and as residents we should appreciate that and not judge others if their ideas differ from ours.  However, I wouldn't want to knowingly be the cause of someone's pain in SL.   I think it's a little callous to put the onus of responsibility on the other person if he becomes hurt because of one's actions in SL which in RL would be considered 'cheating' or a betrayal.   I think we do have a responsibility to let others know up front what we expect from them and what they should expect from us if we enter into any type of more intimate relationship.   In my first couple of months in SL I made mistakes I regret because I made incorrect assumptions about how relationships were conducted here.  In adult sims especially it's easy to get the impression that relationships are more "open" than is normative in RL, but it just really depends on the people involved.    Even the act of flirting with others (with no real intention to pursue anything further) can be considered 'cheating' by some.   And a perceived betrayal of trust can impact not just that relationship, but many other relationships as well, especially in more tightly-knit communities in SL.   Even people who never intend to take a relationship to RL -- who are immersed in SL and want to keep their RL completely separate -- can feel betrayed.    So IMO it's better to tread with thoughtfulness than thoughtlessness and a respect for others' desires (not just one's own) when it comes to SL relationships.

The problem with that is this: No one in Second Life - just as in Real Life - can agree on the same criteria.

I personally have most everything a user needs to know in my profile. If a user does not read my profile, that is their issue, not mine. Further, some of the responses I have gotten in this thread have been from those who utterly misunderstand what I have stated.

As a case in point, my response to a particular user, stating the bare bones facts concerning Linden Lab and their product. That poster called Second Life a 3D chat room. This statement is in direct contradiction of the bare facts concerning Linden Lab and its product.

Had that user stated that he/she uses Second Life as a 3D chat room, my response would not have been required.

Another of my responses concerned the divide between those who treat their Second Life as being wholly (or partially) seperate from their real life and those who view Second Life as an extension of their real life.

It has been my experience that the former of these two groups is far less likely to pass judgement on another user, based solely on their own personal criteria concerning morality. The latter will not hesitate to pass judgement and in fact refuses to believe that anyone would have a different moral code or that they would view Second Life as being seperate from real life.

I had an altercation with just such a person .... I told them off after they passed their judgement on me based on their own morality.

That factor passed over the heads of some.

The fact of the matter is this: You cannot predict how another will react or what their beliefs are. All you can do is to be yourself (yes, I know its strange coming from me, however I only partially distance myself from Second Life. I will not allow an emotional bond to form to others here beyond friendship) and if someone has an issue with it .... To Hell with them. You nod your head, make a note to avoid that user in the future, make a note to avoid the user which caused such a reaction (assuming the reaction was caused due to some flirting or worse with their 'partner', unlisted 'mate", that sort of thing) and move on.

As to my own personal beliefs .... As much as I would like to respect others' "relationships" here in Second Life .... If a relationship is threatened by simple flirting (and I've seen it before), then there are serious problems anyway and you'll just be used as an excuse or a scape goat.

Been there, done that .... and to be honest? I laughed my arse off at the guy when he went off on me for daring to so much as flirt with "his woman". I am not nice to those who are so insecure as to fly into a fit of rage (at a friend no less) over harmless flirting. Even if I had pursued a more sexual liaison with "his woman" .... it should not have mattered one whit. He claimed he was perfectly fine with her doing as she pleased .... and the poor thing is always confused as he gets very angry whenever she does do as she pleases.

I have no respect for such individuals and can only hope they continue to fail in each and every "relationship" until they learn their bloody lesson.

That lesson? Do not lie about your relationship boundaries. You will fail, every time, until you lay them all out. Even then, you'll still fail until you find someone capable of following them 

• 4 weeks later...

In my years here, I've been cheated on, ive whored around a bit, but all in all most relationships ive had that i dident cheat or they dident cheat, really usually ended up broken up or just inactive as a relationship.  Also, your lucky if you can find a gf that wont  freak out after 2 weeks on something stupid lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.