Wall decal difficulties

Myth Valeska

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw some cute wall decals in the Marketplace and I bought one for my apartment. When I tried to put it on my wall it just disappeared so I did something wrong obviously! I'm not sure what to do now? Is it perhaps in the wall where I can't see it? If so how do I get it out lol. This is a small problem and the decal didn't cost very much but it's annoying me and I really want to be able to see it! Thanks ahead for any suggestions!

It's possible it's inside the wall. Sometimes you can cam into the wall and try to see it. Also if the house is on your land if you click on the Land option and go to objects you can see a list of all the avatars with items on your land, click your name and items belonging to you will then have an outlined glow. Go to the wall where you tried to put the decal and see if you see it's outline there, if you do then yes that where it went!

Avalyn Valeska wrote:

I saw some cute wall decals in the Marketplace and I bought one for my apartment. When I tried to put it on my wall it just disappeared so I did something wrong obviously! I'm not sure what to do now? Is it perhaps in the wall where I can't see it? If so how do I get it out lol. This is a small problem and the decal didn't cost very much but it's annoying me and I really want to be able to see it! Thanks ahead for any suggestions!

was it a prim or a texture? if it was a prim it could be inside the wall..

there is an easy way to do it..you can either move the wall or click alt on the wall then use the rotation tool on your camera  and rotate until you can see inside the wall..then you should be able to click on it and with the  edit tools move it back outside of the wall..

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

If you are renting the apartment from another land owner you may have to have a land group tag active to rez anything without it being autoreturned.  May find the decal in your lost+found folder.

I know theproblem has been sorted, but I thought I'd reply to your post.

You are right that tenants of many rented places need the group tag on to rez things, but what you described wouldn't happen. Without the tag on, the item would stay where it is in the inventory, and the tenant would get a message to the effect that s/he can't rez anything here. It wouldn't rez and then get returned.

as Phil said, I know this problem has been fixed but another way to grab something that has stuck itself in a tricky place is to make sure your build tool options are set to 'select by surrounding' and 'select only my objects' if necessary, then you can click-drag a box around the area you think the pesky thing may be, and viola, you can grab the item.

Viewing the world in wireframe mode (Ctrl-Shift-R) helps also in finding things hiding inside other objects and things underground. In wireframe mode it's often even possible to select the object inside other object and then pull it out. Back to normal view: Ctrl-Shift-R again.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

If you are renting the apartment from another land owner you may have to have a land group tag active to rez anything without it being autoreturned.  May find the decal in your lost+found folder.

I know theproblem has been sorted, but I thought I'd reply to your post.

You are right that tenants of many rented places need the group tag on to rez things, but what you described wouldn't happen. Without the tag on, the item would stay where it is in the inventory, and the tenant would get a message to the effect that s/he can't rez anything here. It wouldn't rez and then get returned.

There may be some confusion.  I understood Knutz to be talking about auto-return, but Phil is talking about object creation, which are two different parcel permissions, both of which may be useful for rentals.  (I generally recommend keeping a 1 minute auto-return, with object creation enabled for everybody.  Yeah, people get stuff back into their Lost & Found when they forget to have the land group active and aren't using a viewer that automatically rezzes in the right group, but it's better when that happens quickly.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.