Having an Object "llDie" when it is away from a Main Build that Rezed it

Ralph Honi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry about thall this not having a good day ...

Hopefully this works

I have secondary objects (peripherals) that are rezzed by a main build but unlinked to the main build. I am trying to write scripts to have the peripherals delete themselves when the main build is deleted or moved away. The scripts I have written here do talk with each other … however the one that lives in the peripherals always sees the “Die” option.

Looks like this;

[08:58] Peripheral whispers: initial check

[08:58] Main Build whispers: stay_rezzed

[08:58] Peripheral whispers: I will stay rezzed

[08:58] Peripheral whispers: I'm going to die

[08:58] Main Build whispers: stay_rezzed

[08:58] Peripheral whispers: I will stay rezzed

[08:58] Peripheral whispers: I'm going to die

I can’t have the  Main Build tell the Peripherals that it isn’t there anymore … I’m having difficulty with the logic.  I have also read that “llSleep” is better than a Timer so that is why I am using that.

Since the Peripherals are not linked or attached to the Avatar … I am having difficulty filtering so that only the owners objects will communicate in case there is another Main Build in the nearby area performing the same queries.

I am testing by having my AV near 2 Boxes with the scripts so I can "hear" the functions.

Here are the Scripts;

// Lives in the Main Object

// Answers when queried

integer CHNL26 = 216; // DeRez objects

integer CHNL27 = 217; // DeRez objects

{

state_entry()

{

//        llListen(CHNL27, "", llGetOwner(), "" );  I need to look into this ... I think I have a solution

llListen(CHNL27, "", NULL_KEY, "" );

}

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)          

{

if(message == "checking?")

{

llWhisper(CHNL26, "stay_rezzed");

llWhisper(0,"stay_rezzed");  

}

}

}

// Lives in the Peripheral Objects

// Checks if the Main Build is still there

// If not, then the periferals are deleted

integer CHNL26 = 216;

integer CHNL27 = 217;

integer rezzed = FALSE;

check_rez()

{

llWhisper(CHNL27, "checking?");  

}

{

state_entry()

{

//        llListen(CHNL26, "", llGetOwner(), "" );

llListen(CHNL26, "", NULL_KEY, "" );

}

on_rez(integer start_parameter)

{

check_rez(); // Will trigger the first Listen?

llWhisper(0,"initial check");

}

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)

{

if(message == "stay_rezzed")

{

rezzed = TRUE;

llWhisper(0,"I will stay rezzed");

llSleep(3.0);

rezzed = FALSE;

check_rez();

}

if(rezzed == FALSE) 

//        else if(rezzed == FALSE)

{

llWhisper(0,"I'm going to die"); 

//            llDie();

}

}

}

Duplicate post to http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/Having-an-Object-quot-llDie-quot-when-it-is-away-from-a-Main/m-p/1337749/message-uid/1337749#U1337749.  Replies in that thread

This one's just Ralph trying to get the formatting right *grin*/  PS: There is no need to start a new thread, you can just make a new post in the other one (or use Options > Edit to change the OP)

And here's the second one ...

// Lives in the Peripheral Objects// Checks if the Main Build is still there// If not, then the periferals are deletedinteger CHNL26 = 216;integer CHNL27 = 217;integer rezzed = FALSE;check_rez() {	llWhisper(CHNL27, "checking?");}default {	state_entry() {		// llListen(CHNL26, "", llGetOwner(), "" );		llListen(CHNL26, "", NULL_KEY, "" );	}	on_rez(integer start_parameter) {		check_rez(); // Will trigger the first Listen?		llWhisper(0,"initial check");	}	listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message) {		if(message == "stay_rezzed") {			rezzed = TRUE;			llWhisper(0,"I will stay rezzed");			llSleep(3.0);			rezzed = FALSE;			check_rez();		}		if(rezzed == FALSE) // else if(rezzed == FALSE)		{ 			llWhisper(0,"I'm going to die"); // llDie();		}	}}

The problem is that you set rezzed to FALSE before calling check_rez() and although another listen event will be generated it can't be handled until you've finished with the current one ... which promptly kills the thing.  (Solution follows ...)

Try this - the checking and suicide are controlled by the timer.  The peripheral starts off rezzed = TRUE, checks the parent every 3 seconds and sets rezzed = FALSE.  If a reply is received in time it will continue in this cycle, setting rezzed = TRUE again.  Otherwise the timer will (finally) see rezzed = FALSE and will suicide.

// Lives in the Peripheral Objects// Checks if the Main Build is still there// If not, then the periferals are deletedinteger CHNL26 = 216;integer CHNL27 = 217;integer rezzed = TRUE;default {	state_entry() {		// llListen(CHNL26, "", llGetOwner(), "" );		llListen(CHNL26, "", NULL_KEY, "" );		llSetTimerEvent(3.0);	}	listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message) {		if(message == "stay_rezzed") {			llWhisper(0,"I will stay rezzed");			rezzed = TRUE;		}	}	timer(){		if(rezzed){			llWhisper(CHNL27, "checking?");			rezzed = FALSE;		}else{			llWhisper(0, "I'm going to die");			llDie();		}	}}

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.