Free College Education Online to Anyone in the World...

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For Wall Street Occupiers or other decriers of the “social injustice” of college tuition, here’s a curveball bound to scramble your worldview: a totally free college education regardless of your academic performance or background. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) will announce on Monday that they intend to launch an online learning initiative called M.I.T.x,which will offer the online teaching of M.I.T. courses free of charge to anyone in the world.

The program will not allow students to earn an M.I.T. degree. Instead, those who are able to exhibit a mastery of the subjects taught on the platform will receive an official certificate of completion. The certificate will obviously not carry the weight of a traditional M.I.T. diploma, but it will provide an incentive to finish the online material. According to the New York Times, in order to prevent confusion, the certificate will be a credential bearing the distinct name of a new not-for-profit body that will be created within M.I.T.

The new online platform will look to build upon the decade-long success of the university’s original free online platform, OpenCourseWare (OCW), which has been used by over 100 million students and contains course material for roughly 2,100 classes. The new M.I.T.x online program will not compete with OCW in the number of courses that it offers. However, the program will offer students a greater interactive experience.

Students using the program will be able to communicate with their peers through student-to-student discussions, allowing them an opportunity to ask questions or simply brainstorm with others, while also being able to access online laboratories and self-assessments. In the future, students and faculty will be able to control which classes will be available on the system based on their interests, creating a personalized education setting.

______

Just an FYI post for anyone who may be looking to further their education and find a new job, etc.  Maybe helpful to someone, or pass it along. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmarshallcrotty/2011/12/21/m-i-t-game-changer-free-online-education-for-all/

Mayalily wrote:

For Wall Street Occupiers or other decriers of the “social injustice” of college tuition, here’s a curveball bound to scramble your worldview: a totally free college education regardless of your academic performance or background. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) will announce on Monday that they intend to launch an online learning initiative called M.I.T.x,which will offer the online teaching of M.I.T. courses free of charge to anyone in the world.

The program will not allow students to earn an M.I.T. degree. Instead, those who are able to exhibit a mastery of the subjects taught on the platform will receive an official certificate of completion. The certificate will obviously not carry the weight of a traditional M.I.T. diploma, but it will provide an incentive to finish the online material. According to the New York Times, in order to prevent confusion, the certificate will be a credential bearing the distinct name of a new not-for-profit body that will be created within M.I.T.

The new online platform will look to build upon the decade-long success of the university’s original free online platform, OpenCourseWare (OCW), which has been used by over 100 million students and contains course material for roughly 2,100 classes. The new M.I.T.x online program will not compete with OCW in the number of courses that it offers. However, the program will offer students a greater interactive experience.

Students using the program will be able to communicate with their peers through student-to-student discussions, allowing them an opportunity to ask questions or simply brainstorm with others, while also being able to access online laboratories and self-assessments. In the future, students and faculty will be able to control which classes will be available on the system based on their interests, creating a personalized education setting.

______

Just an FYI post for anyone who may be looking to further their education and find a new job, etc.  Maybe helpful to someone, or pass it along. 

Now while I think this is an awesome thing, why you should target OWS'ers, etc, is totally beyond me.  So let me scramble your world view because it is obvious that you don't understand what it is about.

I suggest you read this:  Letter From A Liberal To A Young Marine

It's about the declining buying power of the Dollars I earn.

It's about being offered jobs today that I have to work more hours for less wages than I did just FIVE years ago.

It's about Families not being able to live on just one parent's income.

It's about not having to work two jobs or 55 hour work weeks to make ends meet.  The last sales job I applied for, when I did the math based on what they told me their average sales person earned working 55 hours a week, it worked out to just $.15 (fifteen cents) an hour more than minimum wage.

It's about CEO's taking huge bonuses while giving their employees nickle raises.

And while I have absolutely nothing against any one making money or being rich, it's about me not being worked to death just so I can have a job. 

It's about the fact that I have worked hard all my life and I am still a hard worker.  But I object to my life and the value of my labor being devalued.

So read the linked article before you deride my wanting to do something about social injustices. 

edited to correct a spelling error

Perrie Juran wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

______

Now while I think this is an awesome thing, why you should target OWS'ers, etc, is totally beyond me.  So let me scramble your world view because it is obvious that you don't understand what it is about.

I suggest you read this: 

It's about being offered jobs today that I have to work more hours for less wages than I did just FIVE years ago.

It's about not having to work two jobs or 55 hour work weeks to make ends meet.  The last sales job I applied for, when I did the math based on what they told me their average sales person earned working 55 hours a week, it worked out to just $.15 (fifteen cents) an hour more than minimum wage.

It's about CEO's taking huge bonuses while giving their employees nickle raises.

And while I have absolutely nothing against any one making money or being rich, it's about me not being worked to death just so I can have a job. 

It's about the fact that I have worked hard all my life and I am still a hard worker.  But I object to my life and the value of my labor being devalued.

So read the linked article before you deride my wanting to do something about social injustices. 

Oh, I didn't write the above OP.  That's a copy and paste from the Forbes article (link at bottom of opening post).  Times are tough and people need education.  So, I thought I'd pass the information along as this is the whole world here on SL and it said people from all over the world are welcome to look into their FREE college courses.  Best to read the whole Forbes article through and research more before just diving into it.  Just a for your information (FYI) post.  People can comment on free college if they'd like to though or the Forbes article, but I have no desire to debate... just passing it along. 

Mayalily wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

______

I suggest you read this: 

Oh, I didn't write the above OP.  That's a copy and paste from the Forbes article.  Times are tough and people need education.  So, I thought I'd pass the information along as this is the whole world here on SL and it said people from all over the world are welcome to look into their FREE college courses and to read the WHOLE Forbes article on it provided in the link.

Then I do hope your response here means that you don't agree with the opening sentence of that article.  Cause quite frankly it sucks.  And if you don't agree with that opening sentence I apologize for aiming my stern words at you. 

Thank you.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

______

I suggest you read this: 

Oh, I didn't write the above OP.  That's a copy and paste from the Forbes article.  Times are tough and people need education.  So, I thought I'd pass the information along as this is the whole world here on SL and it said people from all over the world are welcome to look into their FREE college courses and to read the WHOLE Forbes article on it provided in the link.

Then I do hope your response here means that you don't agree with the opening sentence of that article.  Cause quite frankly it sucks.  And if you don't agree with that opening sentence I apologize for aiming my stern words at you. 

Thank you.

No problem.  The opening sentence is a little odd I will grant you that; however, that's the way it was written.  I would not have written that article with that particular opening line to tell you the truth, but then I'm not a journalist, and I don't really have the time to try to decipher why the journalist of that Forbes article chose to include the occupy WallSt movement as the opening line for the article. 

Article also says internet classes will start in Spring and an affordable price will be charged for the certificate, the price of which they haven't decided upon yet.  But, it said "affordable".  Maybe someone or several people can benefit from this, or pass it along to relatives and friends.  It's free, except for the price of this affordable certificate which has yet to be decided upon according to the Forbes article above.  However, I don't have time to debate... just passing the info along to the whole world here on SL. 

p.s.  If you don't want to open my link, try keywords like free MITx college courses, Forbes, etc, etc. to find the article or to search for more info. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.