Some illegal viewers are free on a public sites. Is this normal?

Perfidius Nostram

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know well the TOS and allowed viewers.

My question arose because I found that many are using illegal viewers who copy objects.
After a few months from reports the LL has not yet done nothing and lately I'm surfing the internet I discovered that many of these viewers have public web sites where they allow the download and show video demos for their use.
I know the risks even if it seems that there isn't more danger for offenders, else they would have punished many.

10 answers to this question

There's not much that anyone can do about things that are on public sites on the Internet, but I would strongly advise you to be careful about using a viewer that hasn't voluntarily complied with LL's Policy on Third Party Viewers  .  There are some very good ones, but there are others that employ hacks that may be harmful to your viewer or permit you to do things that violate the TOS and get you banned.  There may also be ones that could compromise your computer's security.  Here is a list oif the TPVs that are currently in voluntary compliance with policy >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

LL can't control what people put on the internet, only what they put on sites affliated with LL. So yes, it's normal. That doesn't mean that you won't be banned from SL if LL catches you using "illegal" viewers. Or, for that matter, using legal viewers to do things that violate the ToS.

LL has a list of Third Party Viewers that comply with their standards and have chosen to be listed; someone else linked that. Being on that list is optional, so some viewers that are in full compliance are not there. Just because a viewer is not there does not mean it is untrustworthy. Emerald viewer was there for quite some time, until it was banned for adding in a piece of code that they should not have added. You should be careful downloading and using any third party viewer. Certainly if you believe a viewer is illegal, do not use it or even download it onto your computer.

• Like 1

What do you mean by an "illegal viewer"?   There are plenty of perfectly reputable viewers that aren't on the Third Party Viewer list.   Indeed, I notice from his feed that Torley Linden has been using Exodus, which isn't on the TPV list but is apparently certified by Softpedia and others as having no spyware, adware or viruses.

My impression, for what it's worth, is that the nasty viewers -- ones with functionality that's against ToS, like being able to rip content -- tend to be anything but free; on the contrary, their developers charge a lot of money for them.

Really, though, with anything other than the official viewer, it's a question of trust, as others have said.   The Emerald viewer was on the official TPV list until shortly before it was banned, after all.

Yes, and Henry Beauchamp's CoolVL TPV is another good example. There are some good, well written TPVs that are not on the list. Still, if you are unfamiliar with a TPV the first course of action is to see whether it is on the list, because you know you can trust those ones. (Except Emerald .... :=p )

Some viewers out there are simply modified viewers used to steal your ID/password.

If your curious about other viewers, as suggested, check the Third Party Viewer Directory. Also, I review viewers and play with them all the time. Click the link to my blog in the signature. In the menu are links to articles about specific viewers. Also Inara Pey reviews viewers in her blog. Living in the Modem World

Dunno if it is illegal, but since official viewer 1.23.5 can't be downloaded anymore from LL's old viewer list i have come to an agreement to place that piece of vintage V1 software on a dedicated public private company server room, which is:

http://www.sensic.nl/PrivateMedia/Second_Life_1-23-5-136262_Setup.exe

At least it can live on there as long as the actual hoasting company does not receive any kind of warning from Linden Lab. Sofar i have not noticed any kind of violation of the Tos, but if it is a violation, i certainly will receive a message in my e-mail. But sofar i think it will be pretty safe since it is the last official V1 viewer and free of use via that download server for anyone who prefers to, like before from LL's amazone server.

I am pretty certain that LL will let 1.23.5 users login in 2012, so do take your advantage... :)

I just discovered Exodus a few days ago and I am in love with it, I think I have started an affair with it. Henry's CoolVL is also another viewer I fully endorse whether it is or not in the TPV list. Also Catznip is a good one to try. I trust these three more than I will ever trust the Phoenix and Firestorm team who is in the TPV list.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.