Sign in to follow this  
Jartus Freck

vamps need to go back in the closet

I have never understood these vampire RP sims in Sl where everyone is so proud to be a vampire, and so public about it, like it is nothing. I thought vampires were supposed to try and blend in with society, and make their kills secretly, not flaunt their bloodthirsty lifestyle to everyone. It is just starting to get a little annoying to go to these sims where everyone is like "oh yeah, im a vampire" like it is nothing, what happened to the mystery? what happened to the fear?

There is a huge body of literary sources, with a range of styles. I'd expect a Vampire RP based on Pratchett's version to be quite a bit different from something influenced by the VtM game, and Ankh Morpork is distinct from the Uberwald.

But please, Mr. Linden, can't you find something different to promote SL with.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

There is a huge body of literary sources, with a range of styles. I'd expect a Vampire RP based on Pratchett's version to be quite a bit different from something influenced by the 
VtM
game, and Ankh Morpork is distinct from the Uberwald.

But please, Mr. Linden, can't you find something different to promote SL with.

Or at least get a better picture! Seriously, SL looks way better then that poor picture that seemes to be the best that LLs marketing people came up with ...

and Ankh Morpork would be sooooooo great as a RP sim but difficult o bild properly and people wanting to play there would need to have read the books (what they should) or they would not be able to get the right feel of comedy and unseriousness about all things fantasy ^_^

Syo Emerald wrote:

I think its unneeded to give them a forum section while other big groups of people in SL don't have their own forum part.

It's only because LL is trying to ride the coattails of  "Twilight".  It's working too, judging from the number of noob vamps I see.

I agree with the OP though.  Contrary to a spate of modern romance potboilers, vampires are evil undead creatures, who are so egotistical that they don't mind being serial killers, if only they can prolong their own existence.  I stake 'em when I find 'em.  Well, except for Gabrielle.

It's the Twilight phase now, but before this it was the Underworld series. Most people don't read books much, so they don't develop an appreciation for the finer points of vampire fiction. Vampires can be anything a writer wants them to be, but IMO they should show some depth of personality & intelligence to justify their unnaturally long lives. There is something seriously wrong with a vampire who chooses to stay in high school for decades or one that walks around advertising the fact that he or she is a vampire.

A white face & fangs does not make a vampire sexy, sophistication & charm does. The ideal fictional vampire, IMO, should carefully seduce it's prey, not walk up & ask to bite every warm-blooded human who comes along.

Unfortunately Bloodlines & it's ilk exist to squeeze money out of those who like pretending to be these sorry, water-downed vampires & werewolves, rather than to encourage serious, intelligent role play.

Well, to be honest, some people think "oh I'm so cool and powerful I'm a vampire etc etc." Especially if your talking to a highly rank vampire example; King, Queen, Hellion, etc. What I really dislike is that they believe that being a vampire means there above everyone else, when in reality, from what I study in the cult etc. These ranked vampires are usually hidden meaning (No human being has ever lived to see one) But since people think it's cool to be a top ranking vampire and to mock everyone else, I just think it's pathetic on there part, since a title on a game means nothing compare to real life. Sure it's a game but, a title doesn't mean that you can own people. But that's just my opinion, I just think people nowadays are getting to "into" games, they can't tell the difference between reality and online. So I guess, they lost the facts on how vampires in the medieval world were. (I think I made it confusing @_@ lol) but now in modern time, vampires are losing touch of what they really are.

~Ada

I think Ada hit the nail on the head here.  Take 'Drakula' one of the best vampire books/charicters imo.  He started off very weak in power as a frail old man figure hiding in his castle and some times going out to hunt the very weak.  He was feared but not because he walked around the town mocking everyone he met, but because no one really understood him.  

Vampires in second life have become a big sterio-type.  And people who play as Vtm vampires only take the surface of their charicters and run with that as long as they can.  Lastat for example: People read 'entertainer' and beleave that Lastat vampires walk around entertaining people none stop like over rated clown.  They could be setting up parties where more vampires can dance around in expencive dresses and show off.  Lastat should be a lot more bitter about their exsistance and use their art to entice humans into a faulse sence of security.  I don't think that any vampire would take being a vampire as a gift to be flaunted and boast about it.    

Well if you think about it there is a lot of linden to be made from role playing and vampires brings in a lot of cash for hungry role play sim owners or fashion, weapons designers.  If people don't actually role play properly who cares?     

Really in any game you play there will be those whose skulls are so think they could bring down a brick wall. Being a non-vamp you see only the ones that walk up and bite people randomly without so much as a "hello" but there ARE those who stalk and seduce their prey. There are those who set up newbie schools to educate their newbie prey in return for the blood. There is also the most seductive part of the game. (no not power or owning peoples' souls) The sense of family without needing to commit to a serious relationship, get married, have prim babies, or adopt child avatars. (some of us are more creeped out by that idea than being a bloodsucking vampire) Vampire clans like to stick together we bond with each other most of the time we live together and hunt together and party together. Try not to be so judgmental about something you don't even understand. Taking only what you see from a few and applying it to the mass is called stereotyping and dare i say racist? 

'Try not to be so judgmental about something you don't even understand. Taking only what you see from a few and applying it to the mass is called stereotyping and dare i say racist?'

Whos to say that I don't understand? I've been in a bloodlines clans, ccs clans, dcs. I've even role played using text directly based on the whitewolf books.   Also being racist to fictituous charicters sounds a bit silly don't you think, considering that they don't excist and only excist in books.  

You ask for stoping judging about bloodlines but in the same time your saying any other family RP is creepy? Not to mention, that there can't be that few bad vampires, if nearly everyone here can tell you stories about the bad ones. You should stop seeing vampires in SL trough pink glasses.

Oh and before I forgot it: Vampires are a fantasie race and so it can't be racisim to critizes their behavior (not to mention, that for the case of  racist you need to speak bad about them without any other reason as they are existing, and thats not the case here).

That is in the books. This is the internet. People who show off and brag all they want here. Both are completely different things. Plus with teenager fad of twilight or bloodlines out, of course you will get many other people wanting to be vampires or brag about how 'badass' they look. If they really are bothering you, just mute them temporary or ask them nicely to stop.

Only vampires I have ran into are ones that hate twilight and bloodlines. So I must be running into the good vampires. 

-Hates Twilight, loved and laughed my ass off when watched Vampires Suck (Maybe mocked twilight too lol @_@)- But yeah what Nerxual Oh says is right. Bloodlines is like to me personally another role playing place gone out of control. I wish I can talk to all of the "bitch leaders" if you know what I mean, and slap them in the face saying you are a mut. My grandma has bigger balls than you. (OK I exaggerated there but pretty much I just want to tell them to lay off the bitchiness and be friendly with one another, you don’t own anyone, you can barely control your life I can bet) But yeah, some bloodlines people need to get back to there senses and realize it's a game and everyone has the right to play happily, miserable free and drama free (If they wish).

~Ada

Amaranthim Talon wrote:

Does the Dark One still walk SL?

Sadly, I haven't seen her in a very long time.  You never know with vampires, though.

Well thy need to keep there fangs to them self I even had some come at me telling me if I don't join my club will be nothing an so called clan leader are what ever thy think thy are. Thy think thy are all powerful now I tell u this if one try to bite me again IL send them to 3rd life

XxGucciQueenlover2themaX wrote:

Well thy need to keep there fangs to them self i even had some come at me telling me if i dont join my club will be nothing an so called clan leader are what evver thy think thy are. thy think thy are all powerfull now i tell u this if one trys to bite me again il send them to 3rd life

You should tell the your not the boss of me, and go all yo momma on them. LOL jay-kay. But if a so called "clan leader" tells you that, you should tell them to back off and get a hold of reality, you ain't no boss, I can barely see you as a 8 year old kid from how your acting.

~Ada

When i was a big fat noob i remember i joined one of those vampire rp's but mostly for the feeling of blending in with other residents than my love for the vampires lol, as i got "older" and i met more people i gave up on the vamp thing, it was always the same thing.. and SL is plenty of fun things to do once you get the hang of it

Perhaps you are confusing Bloodlines or Hunger with vampires...no offense to any Bloodliners but really,if one would walk around all day/night fangs hanging bloody mess,growling proud that they are a vampire,well,the humans would have long purged them,they still outnumber the undead .... Bloodlines is nothing but a bunch of Twilight vampires,trying to sparkle and outnumber everyone,and trust me,it gets extremely frustrating when people read in my profile "role plays a vampire" and they automatically assume there is nothing else around besides Bloodliners,or even worst,Hunger- I AM NOT ONE OF THEM)

Try visiting a real role play sim,like the one I own or my mother does,both part of the same RP based on VTM (Vampire the Masquerade) and if you approach one vampire,or lycan or demon...hardly unlikely they will reveal themselves to you for whom they really are. Sure OOC we know whom is what but the whole base of the "Masquerade" is to protect the existence of vampires from outside eyes,keep in the shadows and rule the world from behind closed curtains *insert evil grin here*

I RP a vampire for over 3 years,but when you run into me in character,I will introduce myself as a Countess,sent for studies in the city I live in...unless you are supernatural yourself you won't know I am a vampire,and even so,would not reveal my clan or anything unless it is needed,and if you are human and find out somehow,well,there are several ways to handle that but allowing you free with the knowledge wouldn't be one of them.

And to conclude..yes,those kind of sims are annoying but they are just that,a bunch of .... not sure what exactly to call them,cause they are not vampires in my books,perhaps blood suckers would be more apropiate,who's only purpose is to stealmore souls (which,in the first place,is Demon business,not vampire-so fail from the start if you ask me) and grow in numbers,toss around titles and flash their fangs to anyone passing them by,this does not mean that something better isn't out there,just,sadly,Bloodlines sims hugely outnumber the real vampire roleplay sims.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dark%20Passions/242/17/63

Mira Kamiguwa wrote:

Vampires in second life have become a big sterio-type.  And people who play as Vtm vampires only take the surface of their charicters and run with that as long as they can.  

Mira I would have agreed with the first sentence if it were worded "are subject to a big stereotype" instead of "have become a big sterio-type"

The second sentence is an example of one form of stereotyping some vampires are subject to, specifically VtM Vampires.  I founded Darkstone Kingdoms, have run the same RPG since 2007 and we highly encourage depth of character. Yes, you want to roleplay as true to the Clan as written in the guidelines of the book but in character development we stress depth. One way to increase the depth of your character is to play either merits, flaws or both within your character persona. We do not want clones of one another's characters running around. Simply put its boring! No two characters even in the same clans are alike. I am proud of the core players here. All have a distinct and unique personality for their character.

Mira Kamiguwa wrote:

Well if you think about it there is a lot of linden to be made from role playing and vampires brings in a lot of cash for hungry role play sim owners or fashion, weapons designers.  If people don't actually role play properly who cares?     

This last part that Mira wrote only brought to mind Bloodlines that profits so immensely from the game. Here at Darkstone Kingdoms I will admit that the majority of us here are content creators in one form or another. It does NOT support the roleplay and in fact sales areas of anything (90-95% of products have nothing to do with roleplay) is kept separate from the roleplay areas (stores are in the sky, RP always on ground level, so as a roleplayer you can teleport or login directly to ground level and not be forced to walk through a spam infested location boasting of products you "need". We have either the landing point forced to ground level or the landing point in  1 location forced to the information center for RP (to get notecards and LMs regarding the rp) but once you have a LM, keeping in mind the teleport routing is set to 'ANYWHERE' so you never have to go back to that location unless you are choosing it. With the few locations that force the landing point the roleplay teleporter clearly marked (and within 5m of the landing point) you don't even have to take one step towards a store that may be in the far distance, you can simply tp directly to RP immediately.

What differentiates us from the rest is that I have made SURE it costs players $0L to play. Both my daughter, Angelica Leiner, and myself have made sure that we have provided everything you need to roleplay for FREE (whether is one of her sims or one of my sims.) We have also both gifted many players with FREE items time and again. The only thing we WANT you to spend is your time enjoying the RP. Not worrying what weapon you have, how you are dressed or what accessories you have.  As content creator myself for years I do make many many roleplay items, however its rare to find one for sale. They are created FOR use within the Darkstone Kingdoms VtM RP and no one pays for it.  As for actually roleplaying, YES we do!

So thanks Mira, you have given me inspiration to maybe start selling items to help the exorbitant amount of real $USD I have spent a month in tier over the many years on the multiple roleplay sims I own and offer to the public to play for FREE.

I'm sick of vampires, both in SL and in real life. They're all over the place! Especially some of the Bloodlines vampires; they don't even bother to strike up a conversation with me, they just bite. And when I decline, they continue requesting to bite! I even had to tell them (in not so nice terms, to be honest) in general chat to stop. Though thankfullly, they did.

But I wouldn't mind a good vampire roleplay from time to time. Not right now though; maybe when vampires are less popular.