Jump to content

I'm kind of torn and confused on what system to get =(


Ceka Cianci
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

She was debating either.


Ceka Cianci wrote:


as much work as it looks like in getting a desktop together i may just go and get the ASUS or MSI ..i seen where i can hook up 3 monitors to the MSI..so if i want to use my monitor  or get a couple more.i can do that..

plus still have mobility of taking my system where i want to go..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic


leliel Mirihi wrote:

As far as I can tell Ceka is looking for a desktop.

 

ETA: Given the price difference between laptops and desktops I think I'd still recommend a desktop even if she was looking for a laptop. Many people don't even need a laptop, they just let it sit on their desk. And there's a good chance that buying a cheap but faster desktop and paying a teenager minimum wage to carry it for you would end up costing less the the laptop.

i'm also kicking around maybe getting this one  really..i'm really liking what i am seeing in it..

The MSI GT783-625US

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?id=347http://

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ceka, if your going to buy a laptop, go with acer or asus

Every one i know that ever bought something from msi complained within days if not right after installing, i have returned 3! of their motherboards because they died within days on a default clock pc for my sis

friends have returned their gpu`s cause they had a bad designed pcb and on callback, fried components on the pcb because of insuffient cooling/bad pasta.

BF of my sis bought medium high end laptop from msi for €590, it died the week after and had to have it replaced, so he just got an acer instead for some extra money.

 

msi = crap, it`s like those syfy movies they spam out :matte-motes-shocked:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Ceka Cianci wrote:

i'm also kicking around maybe getting this one  really..i'm really liking what i am seeing in it..

The MSI
GT783-625US

 

 I think you'll be rather underwhelmed with the performance of a $2400+ laptop. For that price you'd think you'd be getting a high end machine but in fact it's a fairly pedestrian mid range machine that would only cost around $800 if it was a desktop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My old Sony Viao died on me last summer and a friend that heavily into al sorts of on line gaming recommended I look into a company called iBUYPOWER.    They make gaming specific PC and lap tops.    

I found one that had everything I wanted and it allows me to not only run SL on max settings, it also runs all my flight simulator better than ever.   I love it so much I'm planning on buying one of their laptops later this year.

The downside is they assemble each as they're ordered, so it take 2 to three weeks to actually get your hand on it.  But it was well worth the wait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously you guys on this thread know your computer stuff. I want a new desktop to replace my laptop so what should be the most important part of the spec: the speed of the processor? the size of the RAM the one I'm interested in has 6gb, or the type of graphics card, it' s a Gforce Invidia with 1 gb of graphics memory. Should a desktop with this quality of spec be good for SL or might a dedicated games computer be essential for real HD viewing of busy clubs abd the like,

Thanks for taking time to read this, I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Lynda Baran wrote:

My old Sony Viao died on me last summer and a friend that heavily into al sorts of on line gaming recommended I look into a company called iBUYPOWER.    They make gaming specific PC and lap tops.    

I found one that had everything I wanted and it allows me to not only run SL on max settings, it also runs all my flight simulator better than ever.   I love it so much I'm planning on buying one of their laptops later this year.

The downside is they assemble each as they're ordered, so it take 2 to three weeks to actually get your hand on it.  But it was well worth the wait.

ya i have been looking at their stuff and CYBERpower as well..

it's still early in my search for what i want..but i was seeing some really nice systems from IBUYPOWER as well..=)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


leliel Mirihi wrote:


Ceka Cianci wrote:

i'm also kicking around maybe getting this one  really..i'm really liking what i am seeing in it..

The MSI
GT783-625US

 

 I think you'll be rather underwhelmed with the performance of a $2400+ laptop. For that price you'd think you'd be getting a high end machine but in fact it's a fairly pedestrian mid range machine that would only cost around $800 if it was a desktop.

i know it won't be as nice as a desktop would be..but for a laptop it's pretty nice..i also compared them to the ASUS and they are really close with the MSI winning slightly in most of the reviews i found on them..

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Ceka, if your going to buy a laptop, go with acer or asus

Every one i know that ever bought something from msi complained within days if not right after installing, i have returned 3! of their motherboards because they died within days on a default clock pc for my sis

friends have returned their gpu`s cause they had a bad designed pcb and on callback, fried components on the pcb because of insuffient cooling/bad pasta.

BF of my sis bought medium high end laptop from msi for €590, it died the week after and had to have it replaced, so he just got an acer instead for some extra money.

 

msi = crap, it`s like those syfy movies they spam out :matte-motes-shocked:

they must have turned crap since my system before this was built..it was mostly MSI and it wasn't crap..hehehe

when did they all of a sudden turn to crap??they used to be one of the overclocker 500 dollar aftermarket video card places that people used to get their cards from that they were always bragging about in a lot of my card is better than your card threads years ago..

did they sell out or something? lol

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think they just had to compete with the other manufactors and dropped the ball on quality

 

These days we recommend the top asus/evga motherboards and cards for people who want to oc their pc, the stuff just won`t break, not even after a long period of running oc`ed :)

 

But to be fair, the asus rampage 3 mobo`s did make me cry when pulling off the stock cooling for a water block, the pasta was some cheap garbage and didn`t even touch every where.
On the rampage 4 it was applied perfect again. 

The evga gou`s had a very nice layer of pasta applied, enough to touch the entire surface but not to much to say "mess!" and was consistent across several gpu`s.
Ati/amd drops the ball on that aswell, some are good and some just don`t have enough paste, inconsistent.

Only thing i regret of this new pc is that evga didn`t have a 2011 board, wouldn`t have mind to put another €100 on the table for it :matte-motes-silly: 

 

 

btw, if you really want top of the line, wait for the next generation nvidia cards, they should be available soon™ ;)
Most likely i`ll throw my 3 580 out the window for 3 of those when the water blocks become available   :matte-motes-silly: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Think they just had to compete with the other manufactors and dropped the ball on quality

 

These days we recommend the top asus/evga motherboards and cards for people who want to oc their pc, the stuff just won`t break, not even after a long period of running oc`ed
:)

 

But to be fair, the asus rampage 3 mobo`s did make me cry when pulling off the stock cooling for a water block, the pasta was some cheap garbage and didn`t even touch every where.

On the rampage 4 it was applied perfect again. 

The evga gou`s had a very nice layer of pasta applied, enough to touch the entire surface but not to much to say "mess!" and was consistent across several gpu`s.

Ati/amd drops the ball on that aswell, some are good and some just don`t have enough paste, inconsistent.

Only thing i regret of this new pc is that evga didn`t have a 2011 board, wouldn`t have mind to put another €100 on the table for it 
:matte-motes-silly: 

 

 

btw, if you really want top of the line, wait for the next generation nvidia cards, they should be available soon™
;)

Most likely i`ll throw my 3 580 out the window for 3 of those when the water blocks become available   
:matte-motes-silly: 

ya i was just looking at the new cards that came out in december..

i may have to wait just a little bit because my luck it smells like there is about to be a leap in technoligy and i'll end up buying in at the end of the last run instead of in the new one hehehehe

maybe i'll just get a laptop for now for a moderate price and then take my time on building a really awesome desktop system..

that may be the best way for me to go..

the system i had before this one my father had built and it was an overclockers special..it lasted  a lot longer than any system i ever had..so i wouldn't mind getting back into the overclocker group again..

it's expensive..but it's the quality i really am after..i want a system that when i sit down at it..i am gettign into it rather than sitting down at a desk..

my old system had this huge 4" fan that my father took out of a heat devil and put over the cpu..lol it was getting temps on the cpu iin the 80's while gaming and case temps in the 70's with the cpu fan cut off..

he is was really good at building computers but he lost interest  since the internet got so crowded he says lol

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm late to the game.  :)   I just love spending other people's money and when I can spend up to $3000 USD to build a machine that will blow the socks (or pants) off any Alienware machine built I really, really love that.  :smileyvery-happy: .  Here goes.

-------------------------------------------

CPU..............Intel Core i7 960 3.2 Ghz 8000K (quad core)

CPU Fan.......Coolermaster Hyper 212 4 copper heat pipes, extra quiet

MB................Asus P6X58-E WSX58, SLI & X-Fire, iEEE, SATA 3, GB LAN, USB 3.0

Memory........12 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 1600 Triple channel

Hard Drive....Western Digital 7200 RPM, 1000 MB (1 TB) SATA 3, 6 GB s65M cache

Video Card...SLI Dual GeForce GTX 580 1.5 GB x 2, PCI x 16, Quad Head, DVI, HDMI (2 cards)

Optical ........ LG Blu-ray Reader, 16X Lightscribe DVD Recorder SATA Combo

Media Card..All-In-One Memory Card Reader

Audio............Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-e

Network........Realtek 10/100/1000 PCI NIC

Case............Antec P183 V3 Black Full Tower, Front USB 3

Case Fans...Dual 120 mm Extra Quiet (2 fans)

PSU.............Thermalake TRX 1000 watt Ultra Quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-Fire ready

OS...............Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit w/DVD disks

$2734.00

http://www.magicmicro.com/

-------------------------------------------------------

I left you some money for speakers, a keyboard, mouse and monitor if you need or want those :) .   The package comes with a generic keyboard, mouse and speackers but you can drop them and save $7.00 (whoopie!!).  You said you wanted a computer that you could add to your entertainment center.  I kept it subdued a little (I can't imagine an entertainment center with a flashy, light show computer case taking all the attention from your entertaining).  You can get as flashy as you want......you have the PSU to support quite a light show if you choose.  I didn't go with liquid cooling because I just don't see that as necessary since the machine will handle just about anything you can throw at it with ease.......it won't even work up a sweat running Second Life at ultra all day long.  Something I would add (but wasn't an option at the site I use) is a Blu-ray keyboard and mouse.......stay away from wireless (too many batteries to change all the time).  Some nice 7.1 Creative Labs speakers would be nice too.  :)

 

Now...........next time some smart young gamer says to you that he has the best of the best gaming systems you can quietly smile to yourself and simply melt his Alienware to a puddle of alumium and plastic in a competition.  :smileyvery-happy: .  And I ain't joking either.

 

Good luck and have fun.  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Core I7 3960X 3.30GHz, 6-Cores/12-Threads, 15M Cache, Turbo Boost, LGA2011 @ $ 1303 AUD

Vs 

Xeon X5675 6 Core 3.06GHz HT 12M LGA1366 @ $1559 AUD

1. >> Faster >> (insert doppler audio effect here)

2. Double the amount of threadability lol

3. 15m cache Vs 12m cache.

I can't find a performance comparison or thermal ratings but the numbers & pricing say it all.

*This reply got thrown up in the air and ended up going to Kobuk o.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry peggy, but that`s a "meh" build, try this :)

cpu: i7 3960X, 4.5ghz  -  5.1ghz stable
mobo: rampage extreme 4 (2011 socket) 
ram: 16gb G Skil F3 2133mhz (quad channel (2011 mobo)
gpu: 3x evga 580 - 1025/2050/2050
psu: silverstone strider 1500watt
windows hdd:  Corsair force 3 ssd 180gb
games: ocz revo3 120gb (975 / 875 MB/s)
local storeage: 6gb raid 0 
cache (temp stuff):  ocz vertex 2 120gig

 

Even the first generation sandybridges are faster then the old i7 9** cores, the SB-E just whipes the floor with them :matte-motes-silly:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IBM collects leased Machines from corporations, then Lenovo refurbishes and inspects the PC's + warranty. 

New machines arrive daily and as they are available, they are added to the list.

Currently, the list show more laptops than desktops. The prices are difficult to beat and few companies have direct IBM support as does Lenovo.

 

http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/content/home/store_IBMPublicUSA/en_US/icpepcs.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a question.  Is a $800 CPU worth it when a $300 CPU will count to 1,000,000,000 (that's a billion) in .3 seconds and the $800 job will do the same thing in .2?  At what point does sheer speed stop mattering?  Sure if your mapping the universe the extra speed will make a difference......but who's doing that on a home computer?  :)

 

The SSD's are faster than an old 7200 RPM HHD but then, again, the point is to not use the storage drive for RAM........and that is the only point where an SSD will make a difference.  12 GB RAM, unless you have all six cores running (which, for home use, will is likely never to happen) will make swap files almost unnecessary......16 will give even more overhead, so maybe max the system out with RAM (I would agree on that point).  And 180 GB's............come on you know you could fill that drive up in a month.  :)

 

1000 watts is just about a third more than most any hardware that will fit in a full tower would require........1500 watts would be more overhead so, since there is no such thing as too much power that's another thing I can go with.  Completely unnecessary but it wouldn't hurt a thing.

 

Three video cards?  What are you going to do?  Run 12 monitors?  Total waste.  Sure you can do it but why?  Bragging rights I suppose.  :)   EVGA is a good brand though.....that and XFX.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are talking about a pc that needs to outlast 2 years, do it right from the start if you have the budget and not endup replacing part by part.

A lesser cpu will do fine, but they are now 2 generations old.
Running boinc when not behind the pc, so actually am "mapping" the universe.
Packing/unpacking files at max compression wich would make a less cpu cry.
Rendering power, here`s where a few friends are jelous cause it can handle couple of times the amount of vertex`s.
Loading times are reduced.
Everything goes instantly.


Ssd for windows - doesn`t gets filled that much
Ssd for games/apps - half full, but all the work files are located on the 6tb, but instant load
Old vertex 2 i had lying around for cache disc not to kill the vertex 3 or revo and replace ti with another vertex2 when it dies.
Local storage is normal discs

Memory for everything abouve, just packing at maximum compression in 7z requires 16gb of memory and the quad channel is quite abit faster.
 

1500 watt, because it did 4 5870 befor the upgrade, besides, when things start to lag, it can handle a fourth 580, or 3 next gen cards, 1000watt did`t pull that much reliably.

3 gpu`s to take advantage of the extra processing capacity for programs and games, wanted 4, but got a revo instead :)
And ofcourse benching for the heck of it.


I guess you could say that  for most people it`s overkill, ket alone overclock it all.
But then i hear people complain about "lag" when there is non, except their low fps, makes me chuckle while running with double their settings and fps.

Half the threads about "hardware related" questions i just ignore, only because some thingk they know better and give crap for advice as they clearly have no frigging clue of what they are saying.
I won`t link the threads as i can`t be arsed to go search for them, but i feel sorry for those people who actually thinking to upgrade their pc with bad advice.

As i said in that other topic , i`m stupid to have come back, nothing changed and nothing will ever change.
I`m going to return to the shadows and have a laugh at all those "expert" advises.

 

Ahwell, this will be my last post for awhile, for people that run in a dead end here, just look me up inworld, my door is allways open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about the U.S...but here in the U.K we have smaller specialist PC companies that fill the top end market for PC systems. They will build you a system, after selecting all the components & variables you'd like from a chosen system package. They tend to also have the latest parts & components.

I would avoid off-the-shelf  PC systems for that kind of budget, as you don't know how long those PC's have been in storage or on the shop floor... and quite often the parts used become a series behind the latest versions by the time it leaves the shop.

 

I currently have a decent Dell system that has served me well (about $1500)...prior to that i had a system built by one of those speciialist PC companies (Mesh Computers which has won multiple UK computing awards)  built me one with top of the range components at that particular time. It cost me about $4200 then......now that same computer would be bottom of the range and barely handle SL.

 

If I went Gaming computer high end again, i'd go back to Mesh as their HQ is only 10 minute drive down the road and could collect it myself, when ready.

This is what i might get for around $2400 -2500

Mesh Computers UK    You just go down all the drop-down menus and choose your component. All the top of the range components would end up costing more than $6000

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...