after loging on like 10 min or so i get a black screen if i wait to see what happens i get a messag

justen Mathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

after waiting when i get a black screen i get a message something like no imput from comp  or something close to that i have to power down to recover this only happens on the versions after3 2 1 244864 that runs ok my drivers are uptodate  iv reinstalled   i seen a error  at the sme time that nvidia  out of memory

Second Life 3.2.5 (247236) Jan  5 2012 12:10:23 (Second Life Release) Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         650  @ 3.20GHz (3192.22 MHz) Memory: 8120 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.1 (Build 7601) Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation Graphics Card: GeForce GT 230/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.5936 OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1 Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Not Connected Built with MSVC version 1600i was in reg  mode  and now trying xp mode  any ideas  ?

3 answers to this question

Hello justen. Your graphics card is no the best card in the world but normally you can run SL without problems even in high graphics. I have a similar GT 240. Overheating causes the problem you report. My suggestion is set your performance to lower under Preferences --> Graphics and generally to disable everything again under your preferences you don't use like for example voice (assuming that there is no problem with your drivers).

Any time there is a situation where, after some period to time, you get a black screen (or white, or multi-colored, or a total freeze up) and the only way to recover is to remove the power from your computer to get control again, you are looking at a serious problem.  It's not a lead pipe cinche that your graphics card is failing or overheating (which will, eventually, lead to a failure) but it's a prime suspect.  Your GT 230 card is only slightly more than a low end card.  It capable of running SL at mid to, even, high settings but it's going to be working very hard to do that......and a hard working video card will heat up surprisingly quickly.......and get very hot in the process.  The newest viewers have features that, if enabled, can put a low end video card beyond it's ablilities........the card is stupid and will do what it can to perform what a program asks it to do.  Drivers will not fix that......only lessening the demand on the card will.  Lower your settings in your preferences might help.  But, once you over heat a video card the point at which it shuts down (and crashes your operating system) gets lower and lower.  Most video cards have an upper temperature threshold of 105 C.  That's very hot and damage is likely even before the card reaches that threshold and shuts down (which often crashes your computer operating system)........so the next time that temp that produces a shut down is lower.  That continues to degrade to the point of a complete failure and your computer may not even boot up once the card fails.

Download and install some hardware monitoring software.  There are plenty for free online.   Google or go to Download,com and search for "Hardware monitoring" software.  Watch the temp on your video card when using SL.  The temp will rise quickly once you start SL but should stablize well below the upper threshold (105 C).  If you see the temp reach 95 C, shut SL down and find out why such a high temperature is reached.  Dust build up inside your case is almost always be the cause........a can of compressed air and a thorough cleaning can fix that issue.  If you are running a laptop, it's not an easy task.......take it to a computer repair facility to get cleaned.  A desktop is easy....take the side off and blow out every thing inside the case (fans included.....don't forget the power supply).

Unfortunately, if this has been happening more than just once or twice (which I believe it has) the chances are not very good for you..........the damage has already been done and you are looking at an imminant video card failure.  It's time to look for a new card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.