Jump to content

Navigating Stores


newsue
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I've been with SL for about 6 weeks now, I've aquired some nice outfits, some free and some purchased but now I'd like to get more specific items but have great difficulty finding items which show up in a search and after I TP to the store.

I'm trying to find a denim skirt and some decent tops, can't seem to find the skirt and all the tops appear to be part of an outfit.

Or is it very much like real life and one often has to wander aimlessly trying to find something one likes :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Sue

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup, it's pretty much like RL.  If you enjoy shopping and treat it like a hunt, you'll find hundreds of places to buy denim skirts, especially if you aren't desperate to find the right one right now.  I do the same thing you do .... If I can't make an item myself, I poke around in Markeplace to see what's generally available and what price merchants are asking. Then I TP around SL until I find what I want.  A lot of the time I find it in someplace that I never saw in Marketplace, and I collect a bunch of LMs that I can use the next time I'm shopping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Rolig Loon wrote:

Yup, it's pretty much like RL.  If you enjoy shopping and treat it like a hunt, you'll find hundreds of places to buy denim skirts, especially if you aren't desperate to find the right one
right now
.  I do the same thing you do .... If I can't make an item myself, I poke around in Markeplace to see what's generally available and what price merchants are asking. Then I TP around SL until I find what I want.  A lot of the time I find it in someplace that I never saw in Marketplace, and I collect a bunch of LMs that I can use the next time I'm shopping.

Totally agree. That 's what i do too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

aimlessly wandering around shops in SL on an off chance i'll find what i want is one of my lest favourite things it's much easier to find what you want on the marketplace then if the merchant has provided a link to an inworld store you can use it to buy inworld if you prefer that over the marketplace which can be slow and fail deliveries 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't care for a lot of aimless shopping personally.  I'm a get in, get it and get out type shopper. 

While you shouldn't limit yourself to just he marketplace, they do have a category for just tops, skirts as separates and denim too.  You can browse it and find designers that have the styles and quality you like and save a lot of tp'ing.  If you want to shop inworld, you will at least know who sells separates. If I'm not in a big hurry, I go to the shop to buy. Because a lot of times they have stuff that's not on the marketplace that I like. Also I prefer to buy direct from the merchant in world to save them the commission they pay the lindens when you buy on MP.

To find good shops that don't do the marketplace, check people out.  When you see someone that is dressed how you like, check their profile to see if they have shops shown in it.  You can also IM them and tell they you like what they are wearing and ask them for recommendations.  Most people gladly will share that information if approached the right way. Another way is to click a prim part of clothing you like and 'inspect' it to find out who made it.  You can then click through to their profile from the inspection box and most times find their shop in their profile picks with a handy tp right to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, everyone has a preferred shopping style. Personally, I hate shopping "for" something.  If I go out looking for a specific item -- a denim skirt, a pair of yellow slingback heels, a rhumba dance anim, whatever -- I almost never find exactly what I want, and I get frustrated. My style is to keep a mental list of things that I would like to find "some day" and then keep my eyes open as I wander in SL(or RL).  If I find something on my list, great.  If I find something entirely different, that's cool too.  If I never find something on my list, well..... I didn't waste a lot of time trying to find it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


newsue wrote:

I've been with SL for about 6 weeks now, I've aquired some nice outfits, some free and some purchased but now I'd like to get more specific items but have great difficulty finding items which show up in a search and after I TP to the store.

I'm trying to find a denim skirt and some decent tops, can't seem to find the skirt and all the tops appear to be part of an outfit.

Or is it very much like real life and one often has to wander aimlessly trying to find something one likes :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Sue

 

Oh yes, I've wondered aimlessly in quite a few inworld stores, and it is my least favorite thing to do, also.  Marketplace is right here on this main website page.  Just point your cursor to shopping (not community) and you will find Marketplace.  And yes, you can just type in demin skirt in the Marketplace search bar and there are lots to chose from.  Also, click open 'see all categories' and a pricing menu will appear.  You can narrow your search in all kinds of ways on Marketplace including how many prims you might be looking for, for an example.  In other words, Marketplace is not rezzed nor inworld, it like shopping on Amazon.com for instance with a shopping cart and checkout.   There is a favorites area where you can store your items also, somewhat like eBay favorites, so you don't have to buy all right away, and you can tp to any store when you have the time.  So many ways to make Marketplace work for you and save time.  

p.s.  If you don't know what mesh is, perhaps avoid that for now.  LOL  Or if you like a demin skirt in mesh, at least with mesh, you can try a demo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

To find good shops that don't do the marketplace, check people out.  When you see someone that is dressed how you like, check their profile to see if they have shops shown in it.  You can also IM them and tell they you like what they are wearing and ask them for recommendations.  Most people gladly will share that information if approached the right way. Another way is to click a prim part of clothing you like and 'inspect' it to find out who made it.  You can then click through to their profile from the inspection box and most times find their shop in their profile picks with a handy tp right to it.


Didn't think of the profile tip, thanks, I'll try that.

When you say 'click on the prim of the clothing I like' I assume you are suggesting I click on the other persons clothing, does that not effect them if I do that.

Sue

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Mayalily wrote:


newsue wrote:

I've been with SL for about 6 weeks now, I've aquired some nice outfits, some free and some purchased but now I'd like to get more specific items but have great difficulty finding items which show up in a search and after I TP to the store.

I'm trying to find a denim skirt and some decent tops, can't seem to find the skirt and all the tops appear to be part of an outfit.

Or is it very much like real life and one often has to wander aimlessly trying to find something one likes :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Sue

 

Oh yes, I've wondered aimlessly in quite a few inworld stores, and it is my least favorite thing to do, also.  Marketplace is right here on this main website page.  Just point your cursor to shopping (not community) and you will find Marketplace.  And yes, you can just type in demin skirt in the Marketplace search bar and there are lots to chose from.  Also, click open 'see all categories' and a pricing menu will appear.  You can narrow your search in all kinds of ways on Marketplace including how many prims you might be looking for, for an example.

Thanks, I haven't knowing used Marketplace and an intended option but have ended up there by accident.

I'll give that a try out as soon as I finish these message, GO SHOPPING :matte-motes-oh-rly:

Sue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gosh, you folks are tolerant of Marketplace search.  Every time I try to use it, I either get no results at all or a dozen pages, seemingly irrelevant to my query, showing a zillion color permutations for the same creator's otherwise identical slutwear. They really should just close that godforsaken quagmire until they find some way to make it usable.

Anyway, I use search.secondlife.com to find in-world items for sale.  It's basically the un-nerfed version of the viewer's search:  When you click "More Info" for a result, you get a whole list of all the for sale items in the shop.  Because it's in a browser, you can use text search to hunt for the items you wanted, and then click on the "Go" button to get to the exact position in the store.  (Well, lots of stores use landing points, so you'll get deposited there, but at least there will be a red destination beacon for the item's listed location.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Qie Niangao wrote:

Gosh, you folks are tolerant of Marketplace search.  Every time I try to use it, I either get no results at all or a dozen pages, seemingly irrelevant to my query, showing a zillion color permutations for the same creator's otherwise identical slutwear. They really should just close that godforsaken quagmire until they find some way to make it usable.

Anyway, I use
to find in-world items for sale.  It's basically the un-nerfed version of the viewer's search:  When you click "More Info" for a result, you get a whole list of all the for sale items in the shop.  Because it's in a browser, you can use text search to hunt for the items you wanted, and then click on the "Go" button to get to the exact position in the store.  (Well, lots of stores use landing points, so you'll get deposited there, but at least there will be a red destination beacon for the item's listed location.)

this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...