Friends list won't load. Can't TP. Can't initiate IMs

Ethan Celt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not long ago I got a new ISP. It's just as fast, if not faster. But i've noticed that when it comes to SL, everytime (except for one time) I log in, my friends list just says "loading" forever, and when I go to IM someone on the list, I can't. Plus, I can't TP anywhere. I did change my DNS settings according to one suggestion. 

I've also cleared my cache. I even deleted the viewer and the cache and downloaded a new viewer. No luck. 

Any thoughts? Unless I can find a solution, I'm going to have to quit altogether. Sort of pointless when you can't do these basic things.

• 2 months later...

I just recently had the same issue when my cable ISP dropped support for IPv6 and it threw my router into a tizzy. I ended up removing the IPv6 configs from my router, which I had made the defaults, and tagged the ol' IPv4 settings as the new default.

Teaches me for being on the cutting edge.

Anyway, I also found that I needed to reactivate some ports on my computer's firewall in order to receive data from a number of different SL servers. It's possible that your new ISP's modem/router has these ports closed by default and if that's the case, you'll need to reopen them. I'll edit this response with the link to the wiki page that contains the ports you need to keep open, in case someone doesn't beat me to posting it.

In short, make sure your DNS servers are reachable and make sure the necessary ports are open in your computer's and/or your router's firewall.

[edited to add:]

Found the LL Knowledge Base article on using Second Life with a firewall ( http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539 ). Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.