Computer advice anyone? :o

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"Budget" is i5 Quad below 3ghz, (2.8 is perfect for SL - won't need custom cpu fan) and 1333mhz >C9 rated< ram, 12gb is cool.

1tb sata hard drive with >64mb cache<.

Ensure your optical drive is >Sata< too.

PCI express port/s should be >2.1< rated.

Ensure you get the Win7 64 install disk, (singular here),  with your purchase.

Run ultra but pull back draw distance, (as mentioned), to say.. 1/4

Dont know a thing about AMD cpu's sorry.

Just remember SL is a browser basically, not a full 3d application so be wary of throwing too much money at it if SL is your primary use for this PC.

That will do you very good for an SL system......also will give you bragging rights for many online games (WoW and other games will be a breeze to run and the highest settings).  Make sure you get a manual for the motherboard and CPU (at least a downloadable one).  The onchip HD graphics have had issues with OpenGL programs (of which SL is one) not switching to the discrete card in the BIOS setup.........but I'm pretty sure you can completely disable the HD graphics for destops and I'm not so sure about whether or not you can on laptops.  But this is a desktop.  If the auto-switch does not take place when using SL you're graphics are going to be really crappy.  Maybe contact the support for the place you ordered you machine from and clarify before you tell them to go with the order.

Just my overly cautious nature.  :)

MEMORY: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

4GB should be sufficient but just to make sure you never run out of RAM I'd go for 8.

The rest is super, particularly I envy you on your fancy CoolerMaster case. My cheapo case is dented and scratched and didn't look as nice right from the begiining :(

I want some computer advice too. 

Is this compatible with SL and will it run okay?

PRODUCT FEATURES

• Intel® Core™ i3-2100 processor
    Features a 3MB cache and 3.1GHz processor speed.
  • Intel® Core™ i3 processor
    Features smart 4-way processing performance for HD quality computing. Intel® HD graphics are built into Intel's smart new processors.
  • 8GB DDR3 memory
    For multitasking power.
  • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
  • 1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
    Offers plenty of storage capacity.
  • Intel® HD graphics 2000
    For lush images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
  • 16-in-1 media reader
    Supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Secure Digital, miniSD, Secure Digital High Capacity, miniSDHC, xD-Picture Card, Microdrive and CompactFlash I/II formats.
  • Also compatible with MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus and MultiMediaCard mobile formats.
  • 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
    For simple connectivity.
  • Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    For quick and easy wired Web connection.

All the motherboards have an inbuilt lan port for the cable
Connecting it wireless to your network, you will have to get an wireless usb antenna or use that from the current pc if there is one.

Lan cable is still the fastest and reliable tho
Personally i`d rather drill a few holes in the walls for a cable then have the pc on wireless, only use it for the iphone and laptop :) 

It will run sl but i can`t say about the quality because of the onboard graphics

Intel made some leaps with building it into the cpu and it`s alot better then the past, but it remains onboard with shared memory :/
If you would add a normal graphics card, i don`t see a problem :) 

btw, where`s the damn quote button?? :matte-motes-sour:

Clarissa Lowell wrote:

Thanks.

I'm only barely understanding most of this stuff.
:D

When I shake my head it makes a sound like ding, ding, a dinga ding ding!

i feel like i have been car shopping all day..i hate looking for a new system..i really do..it's tiring..i used to love it..but  thats when i knew a thing or two..now i have to learn it all over again \0/

why lody lody why you haves tah forsake me n stuff agin?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.