Will this Laptop run SL?

Faye Moyet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

you should have no problems running SL on that laptop i have a lower spec'd laptop running an AMD processor and ATI graphics i have zero problems running SL even with all the graphical bells and whistles turned on the only problem i've ever had concerning ATI graphics is having VBO enabled but if you turn that off you won't get the colours jutting everywhere so you can't see any of SL graphic issue

The AMD Brazos E-450 Processor is reviewed here: AMD Updates Brazos with E-450, E-300 and C-60 APUs

AMD Mobility Radeon HD6470M (ATI was purchased by AMD).  Reviewers think the chip should run most games on low settings. They usually mean one needs to turn to low to get 30 fps. SL is reasonably good at 15 fps and ok but sluggish at 5 to 8 fps. If you are into combat games in SL... you probably won't be happy.

It is a duel core processor. Right now SL is very CPU bound. SL is not the typical video game that computers are designed to run. It does not use the video capabilities as other ‘games’ do.

SL will run on the computer. With settings at High and Lighting & Shadows (deferred render), Ambient Occlusion, and Shadows on I would expect 8 to 12 FPS. That is a guess.

Look through the thread here: How Fast is Your Viewer? - Second Life. See what others are getting for performance with their hardware. Once you get your new puter, drop your info into the thread. I may help others.

If you want to get into the gory details of what to look for in a new computer or to upgrade: How To get a Faster Second Life. Or win the lottery and ignore all the details.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

If you want to get into the gory details of what to look for in a new computer or to upgrade:
. Or win the lottery and ignore all the details.

My goal is to one day be rich and clever. :}

This is a brilliant article, Natales; some well-written info for those of us not so tech-minded. Also, this made me flinch and laugh at once: "The interesting calculation would be to divide the cost of the hardware by the FPS rate to see how much each FPS costs."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.