SL freezes my computer

KateJerker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the new SL-viewer is introduced it keeps freezing up my computer. When running SL first it works fine, but after a short while my whole computer freezes. The only thing left to do is stopping it with the hard button. I have the same problem with the latest firestorm.

Anyone knows what to do, cause I'm loosing my fun in SL fast.

Kate. 

I have seen this with old graphics drivers as well as with running in ULTRA graphis resolution.

Probably try to play around with the graphics hardware settings like anistrophic filtering and VBO enabled.

And it seems that 3.2.5Beta provides the same kind of problem like freezing at 2FPS and killing SL.

Additional Info: Please post what is displayed in the Help-Abut Secondlife Window (it's your system configuration which might be of interest).

Greets, Wol

This is what is says in the SL-help about sl screen

CPU: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU       T4200  @ 2.00GHz (2000 MHz) Memory: 3584 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation Graphics Card: GeForce GT 120M/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.8562 OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1 Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Not Connected Built with MSVC version 1600

Hello Kate,

the GT120m isn't show under supported videos at the system requirements page, so that may cause troubles.

See: https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/index.php?

If the card is using shared memory then try to find out the minimum of graphics memory it has and increase this to 512MB if there is a setting for it.

Also there may be some settings in the nvidia control center (long ago I had to fiddle around with some settings on my video card on a laptop to get it running even if not supported directly by LL.

That's all ideas I have for now - except trying some of the available alterante viewers.

Good Luck!

The GT-120 M  is essentially a light NVidia 8600/9600.  This should run the viewer without major issues but with limitations, although it is a bit dated... but then everything is dated by the time it hits the shelves.

Video Card Info Reference: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-120M.14953.0.html

Performance Comparisons here:  http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Try using the viewer without any other applications running.  If the viewer runs longer with no other applications running the clue taht gives you is that there is a memory leak.  A memory leak occurs when the software is not managing the used memory properly and cleaning it up correctly.  Ultimately the end result is that you run out of useable RAM to run the application causing a crash.   Unfortunately, this does occur but developer's become aware of it fairly quickly and usually fix it.

You should ensure that your Windows is fully updated, additionally, updating the video drivers to most current levels is also very important.  Note that MS Corp updates these drivers through Windows Update but these are minimal updates to keep functionality.  It's always best to update your Video Drivers directly from the manufacturer.

go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us   and select your video card & info from the pull downs OR alternately use Option 2 which will run a check and let you update if needed.

EDIT:

I did a little more digging and I found the NVidia 120 is within the GPU support table of the viewer code.  It is supported and the Defaults to mid graphics settings.  Basic shaders on by default.  

for reference:  http://hg.secondlife.com/viewer-development/src/4982ab91ef6a/indra/newview/gpu_table.txt   the current list of video cards handled by the viewer.

You can get a free program named GPU-Z to see how your video card is working. It will show the graphics load and other information about the GPU.

System Explorer is another free program that will let you see what is happening with memory. The RAM used graph can show a steady climb indicating a memory leak.

Since you have the latest driver from nVidia, a memory leak would be scary. You could roll back to an older driver to see if that helps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.