Sculpty-Texture-Question - Blender/Cinema4d

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have a general question about UV Mapping for a sculpty..

I've created inworld a sculpty. Saved the sculptmap to Blender and saved it there as a obj.file.

In Cinema 4d i worked with this ob.file - i did a uv-mapping and made a new texture and saved this new texture.

Again in-world i used the new created texture from c4d on the orginal sculpty - but the result is not correct.

Does that means that the orginalsculptmap inworld, so to speak, no longer fits

I am new to creating textures for sculpties...so what i am missing here? I would appreciate any help!!

Friendly Greetings

Marlen

(sorry for my english!)

I'm not quite sure if I understand you completely...but what I make of it is this: you changed the UV map of the sculpt.

That's not how sculpts work. A sculpt has a set UV map (a perfect grid) so your texture will have to be adjusted to that.

If you want custom UV maps, you will have to use mesh instead of sculpties.

Hello Kwakheide,

thank you for answering.

yes, you're right. Thats why i made an object from that sculptmap (via Blender). For that

Object i made an uvmapping in Cinema4d and textured it, saved the new texture. then i uploaded

the new texture to sl - and used it on my orginal sculpty in world. Its not fitting.

You said...If you want custom UV maps, you will have to use mesh instead of sculpties".

That means...if i would upload my meshobject the texture would fit on it, right?

The thing is - i dont want to use meshes, i want to use sculpties cause they are not so heavy in prims.

Is there another way how i can use cinema4d for texturing for sculptys?

I am beginner in texturing...i believe i understood something not right  - happy for any advice!

I am familiar to various extents with various of 3d programs, Blender and Cinema4D aren't among them unfortunately.

I would like to add mesh probably does not have a bigger landimpact (cost more prims) than a sculpty. It depends on the object and on the size though.

Either way, with mesh you can layout the UV map any way you want, so you can match your texture. For a sculpty you will have to bake a new texture, but I wouldn't know how with the programs you use.

As Kwak says, you cannot change the UV map of a sculpty. Your new texture would only fit if the sculpty had the new UV map you made, but it doesn't and there is no way you can change it. The UV map is a simple grid. If you import the sculpty into Blender, it should have the grid UV map. You mujst leave that as it is. In Blender or (presumably) C4D, you can texture the mesh however you like and then bake the texture using the unchanged grid-like UV map. Then save the baked texture and it will be the same when applied inworld as what you see in the program that you used for the baking.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.