My avatar looks as though its flying continuously when bumping into things. Nothing has helped.

Kohji Dosei

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having an issue where when I bump into something, my avatar will starts "falling", it will float continuously, or when I walk, it will slide as though I am on ice

. I have tried just about everything I can think of, deleting and re-downlaoding SL, clearing cache, reloading my avatar, removing huds and more I can't even think of. It's persisted for days and I just cant shake it. This happens regardless of what viewer I am on..

Edit: It is -not- lag. I have restarted my router and never had this problem in the years I've used SL. This is a perpetuating problem that has been happening for the last three days. If anything, restarting my router only made my floting around quicker, not end it. 

2 answers to this question

You have a weak, or intermittently flaky Internet connection, so communication between SL's servers and your client is not continuous.  The servers keep updating your position continually and send the new information to the client. If the signal is interrupted, though, the image you see on the screen can start "rubberbanding" -- hopping forward as if you are on bungee cords.  At the same time, your client is getting incomplete signals from the server about when to trigger the animation that makes you appear to be walking, flying, or hovering.  You can keep flying after you meant to stop, or walk when you meant to fly...

Suspect two things:

1. Your router needs to be rebooted.  Unplug it from the power for a few minutes and go get youself a cup of coffee. Plug it back in and it will have cleared its RAM and will be able to get a fresh hold on an IP address.

2. Get Off WIRELESS.  Wireless connections just aren't as stable as direct cable connections.  You lose a lot of potential bandwidth too.  SL is not like games you may have played on line.  It's really touchy about having a continuous, strong connection because it has to send information back and forth all the time.

• Like 1

You have either a very slow connection or you are running SL on a wireless connection that is weak, or your router/modem need rebooting.  Shut down your router and modem bu unplugging from the electrical source and leave unplugged for 3 to 5 minutes.  Plug them back in and restart your computer to re-establish your Internet connection.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.