Facebook and FTC reach agreement on privacy protections

spoprauapu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is up to you to protect your own privacy while on the internet.  No one else is going to do it for you.  Think of the internet the wild west with no law enforcement to speak of.  If a country passes a law about what a site can or cannot do, the site can simply move to another country.  At best, laws are difficult to enforce, at worst, impossible to enforce.  If you don't want the whole world to know something about you, then don't put it on line.  It may come back to haunt you years later.

I won't use Facebook or similar sites because it does a lot of data mining.  They encourage you to reveal all sorts of personal information as well as your personal likes and dislikes and then sell the information to third parties who use it in every way you can think of and a lot of ways you can't..  They even try to get you to reveal information about friends and relatives and use it too, even if that person is not on Facebook or ever agreed to the information being used.  This is the way Facebook really makes its money.  They claim it is a free site for users, but the actual price is the price you pay is loss of privacy.

I won't use the new SL facebook like profile features for the same reason. Even though LL may not be data mining, the information is out there for others to see who will use it.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

It is up to you to protect your own privacy while on the internet.  No one else is going to do it for you.  Think of the internet the wild west with no law enforcement to speak of.  If a country passes a law about what a site can or cannot do, the site can simply move to another country.  At best, laws are difficult to enforce, at worst, impossible to enforce.  If you don't want the whole world to know something about you, then don't put it on line.  It may come back to haunt you years later.

I won't use Facebook or similar sites because it does a lot of data mining.  They encourage you to reveal all sorts of personal information as well as your personal likes and dislikes and then sell the information to third parties who use it in every way you can think of and a lot of ways you can't..  They even try to get you to reveal information about friends and relatives and use it too, even if that person is not on Facebook or ever agreed to the information being used.  This is the way Facebook really makes its money.  They claim it is a free site for users, but the actual price is the price you pay is loss of privacy.

I won't use the new SL facebook like profile features for the same reason. Even though LL may not be data mining, the information is out there for others to see who will use it.

agrees..web profiles and all their web based stuff that used to be in world stuffs..sucks now..

i keep it all closed off now since it can all be seen on the web..my feed is locked down..my profile barely has anything on it and i barely ever use their search for much anymore..

if they want to make this less of an escape for people wanting to escape ..they are doing a pretty good job of it..

i didn't get a face book for a reason..nobody is gonna make me get one no matter what version they try to slide on me..

bleh..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.