Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Minx Kurosawa

Racism And Prejudice In Second life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts


 

I am curious about pursuing conversations regarding prejudice in America and I'd like different viewpoints from people who have experienced prejudice aimed at them as well as people who have realized that they have practiced prejudice against others.  I know that many people think that there is no longer racism in America - but I disagree.  

Dana

Most americans are suttle racists as their overal attitude is: There is two type of people in the world, americans and non-americans.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


carolinestravels wrote:


Dana

Most americans are suttle racists as their overal attitude is: There is two type of people in the world, americans and non-americans.

 

Ethnocentrism is hardly limited to Americans, nor is it prevalent all over America, at least not to the degree I would say "most". Especially given the fact that the majority of Americans aren't originally even from America(if one were to actually do enough genealogical history). Though your post shows a clear bias against "most" Americans, so I take your words with a grain of salt, much like others who toss the word "most" around, without fact to back up the claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You replied to a post that was posted almost 1½ years ago. A bit pointless, really.

 


carolinestravels wrote:

Most americans are suttle racists as their overal attitude is: There is two type of people in the world, americans and non-americans. 

What nationality are you?

Incidentally, most people in the world see themselves as their nationality, and those who are not of the same same nationality are others. That's not racist. I'm English and those who don't share my nationality are non-English. It's a fact - not racism.

If "most americans" have the attitude that people who are not americans are somehow inferior, then that would be racism. But that's not what you said, so, since the stated basis of your "subtle racists" comment is clearly wrong, what point are you trying to make?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

That's not racist.

I'm English and those who don't share my nationality are non-English. It's a fact - not racism.

So, Phil, are you English or British?

What you and I know as England is just sedimentary dirt, some rocks and a

 on it. I'm no nationalist (obv.) but my perception is that xenophobia will go on for a while yet - even if it doesn't smell like racism. People are dumb.

:D

Just pokin' the bear - you're feisty today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol I like to be a bit feisty :)

I'm both British and English. On forms we are British/English, as distinct from British/Scottish, etc. That's an official way of doing it. On a personal level, I'm still both. I am definitely English, and I'm also British enough that I would have really disliked it if Scotland had voted to part company with the rest of Britain. I feel that I'm English and that England is a part of a larger country, of which I am a native.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool stuff. Identity's neat - British/English is fun since on some level it emphasises the nations being divided/conglomerated - I know some folks weren't nuts about the terminology because of that (probably the Welsh, they always get a raw deal).

Not that anyone asked me but I've never had strong ties to anywhere. I pay tax to the British crown, I eat European, watch American media and wear far-eastern-made clothes. I've no idea who I would miss the most... or fight for. Nationality's just a thing it seems to me, like being left-handed or preferring to root for United instead of City.

My only thought on the Scottish stuff recently was that we might finally be able to ditch DST without all those farmers. :D

Keep the feist alive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was quite a nice way of explaining that you're a mongrel :)

It was an englishman who thought up DST. The British government didn't want to know until germany used it in WWI. Then everyone started to use it. Well, everyone in temperate zones, that is, plus those, like Mexico, who it's no use to but do it to keep the same business hours as a large neighboring country. Doing without it would do away with those fun times twice a year when we try to figure out how to change the times on clocks and watches :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

That was quite a nice way of explaining that you're a mongrel
:)

Nicer than some terms you could've chosen! :P

I'm actually somewhat taken to the label 'Digital Native' ever since I heard it in some BBC report in the early millenium. In a very TCP/IP-based way, I transcend borders.

I dunno I'm on the road a lot anyway. Flags are big-picture, and I am small. There's so much history, hatred and bloodshed attached to flags - joining up under the banner of something like that just seems intimidating. I'm sure that's part of the allure though, in true 'us vs. them' style subscribers to a nationality can ride coat-tails on the nations historical achievements.

I guess being digital, I can still declare war on the analogue natives if I get bored of all the peace and harmony on the Internet.


Phil Deakins wrote:

It was an englishman who thought up DST.

Of course it was. Our bunch've (hey look, I integrated!) been making things hard on other people since the year dot. :D

I'm just complaining 'cause I somehow managed to run an hour late today. That and moving time without increasing our velocity relative to the speed of light makes my overly-detail-obsessed brain do barrel rolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freya Mokusei wrote:

I'm just complaining 'cause I somehow managed to run an hour late today. That and moving
time
without increasing our velocity relative to the speed of light makes my overly-detail-obsessed brain do barrel rolls.

Ah but, time is moved only when you're asleep and not phyisically moving, or you would have to slow to a stop so that your physical speed plus your speed through time equalled the speed of light. To allow for this, we english designed DST to only happen when everyone is alseep :D

You can think of it this way. Since time is changed by 1 hour instantly, you don't actually move through time in that instant, so the Special Theory of Relativity isn't compromised and you wake up without any ill effects - apart from the hangover, of course, but that's due to boozing the night before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

To allow for this, we english designed DST to that only happens when
everyone is asleep
:D


What?! No! Everyone is never asleep! Timezones are a thing! And not all countries change to DST on the same day!

Arghrgh it's so crazy.

2am is like the middle of my day! Or it is over weekends anyway.

So I usually get two of the same hour, or never see an hour and suddenly it's 9am and I've got to wake back up again.

And no! I'm always at a high velocity, even when I'm asleep. Earth goes woosh, I checked!

I get the feelin' you're causing brain-pain on purpose. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience those that wrap themselves in theit flag and condemn everyone else for being unamerican reject the very same values that attracts everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


carolinestravels wrote:


 

I am curious about pursuing conversations regarding prejudice in America and I'd like different viewpoints from people who have experienced prejudice aimed at them as well as people who have realized that they have practiced prejudice against others.  I know that many people think that there is no longer racism in America - but I disagree.  

Dana

Most americans are suttle racists as their overal attitude is: There is two type of people in the world, americans and non-americans.

 

Wow two continents with one shot..

Nice aim.

hehehehe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do the British do with all that daylight time they're saving? I visited in 2000, and I don't think I saw even half as much daylight as we have at home here in Wisconsin.

Are you all hoarders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Aethelwine wrote:

In my experience those that wrap themselves in theit flag and condemn everyone else for being unamerican reject the very same values that attracts everyone else.

Yep. I'm puzzled by Americans who wrap themselves in the constitution, yet have never read it.

Hell, I read the li'l tags on my undies before I put them on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USA-Time-Zones.gif

 


Phil Deakins wrote:

That was quite a nice way of explaining that you're a mongrel
:)

It was an englishman who thought up DST. The British government didn't want to know until germany used it in WWI. Then everyone started to use it. Well, everyone in temperate zones, that is, plus those, like Mexico, who it's no use to but do it to keep the same business hours as a large neighboring country. Doing without it would do away with those fun times twice a year when we try to figure out how to change the times on clocks and watches
:)

 

To add more stupid to stupid, some idiot here decided to split some of our States in half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dana

Most americans are suttle racists as their overal attitude is: There is two type of people in the world, americans and non-americans.

 

First you are confusing racism with nationalism.  America's people are from every race in the world and there are individual people in the US whose ancestors include more than one race.  In fact if you dig far enough back into their ancestry you would find a huge number of Americans are more than one race. 

I am not saying there is no racism in America.  But, there is racism in one form or another in just about every country that has immigrants of other races in their population.  There are many European countries that discriminate against people too.  And I've also run into many Euro's that are even more nationalistic than Americans.  In fact many Euro's who have never been to the US seem to harbor a deep prejudice against American's based on ideas that have no basis in reality.  Prejudice is generally rooted in ignorance.

Second other countries have the us and them attitude.  I've run into more than one non American in RL and SL that feels the same about their nationality.  I've also run into more than one non American that feels that their nationality is far superior to any others.

Your statement is just a fact and is like saying there are only two kinds of people in the world, those that play tubas and those that don't.  However in the context of this thread it seems prejudice.

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in the country you live in.  It only becomes wrong when you discriminate against people from other countries based on ignorance.  For the record, I am a 3rd generation American that takes pride in being one, just as I take as much pride in my Irish ancestry.  However, I realize that my country is not perfect and in fact disagree with a lot of the things the governments and other Americans do.  I don't tolerate any form or racism or prejudice.  I judge people only on their individual actions and attitudes. I consider myself primarily a citizen of earth.  We are all, after all, humans whose worth is the same no matter what your race or nationality is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

What do the British do with all that daylight time they're saving? I visited in 2000, and I don't think I saw even half as much daylight as we have at home here in Wisconsin.

Are you all hoarders?

We harvest it and store it in jars until it is needed. The clue is in the name - daylight savings time. Then, when it is dark, and we need to shed light on something that's puzzling us, we use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

USA-Time-Zones.gif

 

Phil Deakins wrote:

That was quite a nice way of explaining that you're a mongrel
:)

It was an englishman who thought up DST. The British government didn't want to know until germany used it in WWI. Then everyone started to use it. Well, everyone in temperate zones, that is, plus those, like Mexico, who it's no use to but do it to keep the same business hours as a large neighboring country. Doing without it would do away with those fun times twice a year when we try to figure out how to change the times on clocks and watches
:)
 

To add more stupid to stupid, some idiot here decided to split some of our States in half.

Some idiot indeed.

On a similar tack, we British stole a march on the rest of the world, long before America was invented. We invented time, and we put the date line round the back of the world where nobody would notice it. We're clever that way :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

What do the British do with all that daylight time they're saving? I visited in 2000, and I don't think I saw even half as much daylight as we have at home here in Wisconsin.

Are you all hoarders?

We harvest it and store it in jars until it is needed. The clue is in the name - daylight
savings
time. Then, when it is dark, and we need to shed light on something that's puzzling us, we use it.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, Brits shed light like people shed weight? With each puzzle solved you grow darker behind the eyes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had to do a google on daylight savings times conspiracy theory..

Just because i knew there had to be some..

Silly wabbits hehehe

 

I thought for sure there would be some on Youtube also,but  no no:smileysad:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

What do the British do with all that daylight time they're saving? I visited in 2000, and I don't think I saw even half as much daylight as we have at home here in Wisconsin.

Are you all hoarders?

We harvest it and store it in jars until it is needed. The clue is in the name - daylight
savings
time. Then, when it is dark, and we need to shed light on something that's puzzling us, we use it.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, Brits shed light like people shed weight? With each puzzle solved you grow darker behind the eyes?

Not really, no. As I said, we store the light in jars - not behind the eyes. But we do shed light on all sorts of things that baffle the people of other nationalities, such as how to harvest light. We shared that with the world. Since we started doing it, we have a shed load of the stuff that we haven't yet found a need for, but it will come in handy to solve the world's problems sooner or later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

USA-Time-Zones.gif

 

Phil Deakins wrote:

That was quite a nice way of explaining that you're a mongrel
:)

It was an englishman who thought up DST. The British government didn't want to know until germany used it in WWI. Then everyone started to use it. Well, everyone in temperate zones, that is, plus those, like Mexico, who it's no use to but do it to keep the same business hours as a large neighboring country. Doing without it would do away with those fun times twice a year when we try to figure out how to change the times on clocks and watches
:)
 

To add more stupid to stupid, some idiot here decided to split some of our States in half.

Some idiot indeed.

On a similar tack, we British stole a march on the rest of the world, long before America was invented. We invented time, and we put the date line round the back of the world where nobody would notice it. We're clever that way
:)

And that Date Line has been screwing with peoples minds ever since Magellan's Crew completed the first (known) circumnavigation of the World. 

“On Wednesday, the ninth of July [1522], we arrived at one these islands named Santiago, where we immediately sent the boat ashore to obtain provisions. [...] And we charged our men in the boat that, when they were ashore, they should ask what day it was. They were answered that to the Portuguese it was Thursday, at which they were much amazed, for to us it was Wednesday, and we knew not how we had fallen into error.

Besides the general confusion it caused the men they were additionally disconcerted to discover they had been celebrating Mass on the wrong day.  It even became the subject of a Papal inquiry.

Having crossed the International Dateline twice myself I can readily say it can be quite confusing. I left the States on Dec 22 by plane and 23 hours later when I arrived at my destination in Australia it was Dec 24.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you and Phil are just making up stuff about daylight savings and the date line...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/A-Warning-on-Daylight-Savings-Time/m-p/1203563#M34878

Sassy Romano found a map of "The World According to Americans" that's just lovely...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/A-Warning-on-Daylight-Savings-Time/m-p/1204459#M34936

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[19:23] Doxy. 2.0 (lucky.lamede): It's been almost a year now, and you still haven't gotten rid of me, ape. lol

 

Racist person that likes put hate in local chat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...