I noted somewhere that SL was not designed for 64 bit processors. Does it cause poor performance?

EmberLea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have two 64bit HP workstations, one with an Nvidia geforce 470, 12 gig RAM, and an 8-core processor.  They are hard-wired to the router, and my internet connection to them never reads lower than about 18mbs.  I also have a far less powerful laptop , 32bit, with a wireless connection. The laptop is usable with SL, but both workstations are so slow, I can almost count the frames as they pass by... ridiculous and unsuable.  Yet with HEAVY HD video edition, the workstation perform beautifully.  What else could be in the chain if the 64 bit is not a problem?

4 answers to this question

It works just fine with 64-bit processors.  That note in the Requirements page REALLY needs to be clarified or eliminated altogether.  People have been using 64-bit processors and Windows 7 very successfully. 

Your low FPS has nothing to do with that.  Suspect your graphics settings.  Try lowering draw distance, turning off anisotropic filtering, and reducing antialiasing, for a start.  You may also have other programs running that are stealing CPU time.  You might also try using a different viewer.... Firestorm, if you have been using V3 or V3 if you have been on Firestorm.

Agree that it is not the 64 bit issue as I run very successfully with machinima making and several programs open on an i7 with 6 megs of RAM and HD6950 card which is now "older" :D .    Along with other advice on typically making things run easier, it would be good to note that framerates for many of us have gone WAY down in the last few weeks while stability has gotten better. This leads me to believe that The Labs are changing server codes in that direction. Lately (the last couple of weeks FPS in the same sims seem to be returning so eventually they may find a happy balance that will work for us (and you) better. This COULD be part of your issue.  There could of course also be a software incompatibility with some other program that is causing the slowness. The more you have on your machine, the more likely that becomes. Sure you know that :D

Good luck!   NOT the 64 bit :D.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.