lost avatar....

Nikitaa Carter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

well its not that she disappeared... now i see that theres a whole new SL... and I created an avatar... I guess new one. Did I just replace my old avatar by creating this new avatar in this new version of SL? No way of going back to an earlier date what I had before? ahhhhh sorry, just so frustrated!!!!! I had years worth of stuff in there. ugh.

I don't know if avatars ever disappear unless you delete them. You should definitely ask for tech support on this one. Is it possible you just forgot your password? 

When you create a new avatar it doesn't replace your old one. It just creates another one. If you can access your old one, you'll now have 2 avatars.

In your inventory you should find the shape skin hairbase and eyes that made your previous avatar, plus any attachments that you had used to make it unique. Avatars can be changed in seconds, so if all of your old inventory is still there, you should be able to recreate your old avatar. If, however, you are missing inventory, you do have a problem and you do need to contact support :(

You avatar is not gone.  It may have been deactivated depending on how long its been since you last used it..  You can file a ticket to have it reactivated.  There is a one time fee for doing this of $9.95.

to start the process:

1. Open a support case.
  2. Under What type of problem are you having? choose Account Issue.
  3. Choose Reactivate an old account.
  4. Enter the required information
  5. Click Submit.

Is Nikitaa Carter the avatar we are talking about? If Nikitaa is active and able to log in, then she has no need to reactivate that account as she is already active. However, if she is talking about a different account, then yes, what you say may be true, although I don't think LL deactivates accounts for non activity, only cancellation requests. I could be totally wrong though, and if I am, it would be good to know how long an inactive account must remain inactive to get deactivated.

the only Nikitaa Carter i am finding was created back in 2007 and changed her display name to Nikita a few hours ago..

there is a NikitaX Carter also that was created back in 2007 as well that was created about a month later..could that be it maybe?

there really is not a new Second life as far as your inventory would be concerned..

i've went a couple of years without accessing my alt account before and all her stuff stays intact..

were you on a premium account and maybe did not drop down to basic type of an account before you left?that could be one reason..

what is it that your avatar looks like..does it look like a cloud? like someone had said it may be that things are loading..

Okay, did you create a new account, or are you logged in with the account you had a year ago? If you created a new account, you would have gone through this website, chosen to "start now" or "create a new account" or something similar, and gone to a webpage asking you to fill in some details (age, email address, desired username, etc.). If you logged in with your old account, you would have opened, or downloaded then opened, a viewer, filled in your name and password, and that would have been it.

Judging by a couple of things - your name, for one, since as far as I know you still can't sign up with a first and last name anymore - it looks like you logged in as your old account. Your inventory and avatar should all still be there in that case. Are you sure it's gone? Have you thoroughly checked your inventory? What does your avatar look like versus what you think she should look like?

Creating a new account does not erase an old account; you can have loads of "alt" avis, and none of them will affect any of the others. Accounts are completely separate.

There is generally no way for LL to roll back that far. They can roll back a few days; I've heard a month is a stretch, so a year would be very, very difficult. Even if they could, it's likely that since it's been so long, none of your inventory would be recoverable.

ETA: Just double checked. You can't sign up with a first and last name anymore (unless maybe you're part of certain educational facilities that have a deal with LL) so you have to be logged in with your old account. Do a thorough check of your inventory. You may want to try clearing your cache. You can do this through the viewer (preferences) or manually through the computer (which is sometimes more effective). (You'll have to be patient when you log back in after doing that; it'll take your inventory a while to reload.) 

I am not upp to date with the official viewer changes, has SL abandoned the Basic viewer or not? If Basic viewer is installed in an update, it's not possible to open inventory from it, so one could suspect that the inventory is viped out.. Basic mode was a really stupid idea IMHO. Lead to a lot of confusion.

Nikitaa, did you have to install a new viewer when you came back? What sort of viewer(s) have you been using before, only the official SL viewer or Third Party Viewers? What viewer are you on? 

Don't mourn Nikitaa yet. You are apparently logged on as her to type to us, so she is still virtually alive.

Please tell us,

What viewer are you using?

Have you looked in your inventory?

What is it about Nikitta that makes you think she is dead?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lost_inventory

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lost_inventory#SUPPORT

well shes a live.. just a whole basic new and diferent avatar i guess I chosen when I signed on several months ago..... this whole new SL confused me. In my inventory its all new basic stuff... all stuff SL added.. none of my own stuff anywhere. Not sure which viewer I am using... first one I think? My second viewer folder is empty in my hard drive. My character profile says i created her in 2007 which is correct. so it is reading her name right.. but its a whole different basic girl now.

Mhm. Well, you can make your avatar look however you want. You can change skins, shapes, hair, clothes, shoes etc. 

If you are using the old viewer you were using in 2007, try downloading a new viewer.  At least that way you will know what viewer you are using and we can help you much more easily.

Here is the link to the viewer downloads:

https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/?lang=en-US

Ok, you are a Carter, so an older account who could have been affected by the old harsh billing policy. If you had a premium subscription, forgot to cancel, and your credit card expired, LL would freeze the account, then after a few months wipe out inventory etc. You might have missed the whole thing if you were not spending time in SL, and your email address changed or spam filters ate the notices.

The inventory/L$/friend hammer is gone now, but there does not seem to be any way for them to resotore accounts that were squished under the old policy.

Nikitaa Carter wrote:

well shes a live.. just a whole basic new and diferent avatar i guess I chosen when I signed on several months ago..... this whole new SL confused me. In my inventory its all new basic stuff... all stuff SL added.. none of my own stuff anywhere. Not sure which viewer I am using... first one I think? My second viewer folder is empty in my hard drive. My character profile says i created her in 2007 which is correct. so it is reading her name right.. but its a whole different basic girl now.

it sounds like you need to do a clean uninstall and then download a newer viewer..you could just be using something out of date..

it's worth a try..

try updating to the new LL viewer and see if that one works for you ..at least to see if your inventory loads..but i would do a total clean uninstall of the directories before installing any new viewer..

there were so many cache overlapping problems back then.that is a time when all viewers were pilling up to use one cache folder for the most part..

here are good instructions on doing a clean uninstall and install...

i would try using the official viewer before trying any third party viewers because some in the past have had inventory problems..

just to make sure you can see your inventory loading..

here is a link to some good instructions to help you out..

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=clean_reinstall

We need some straight information to understand what happened with your av.

Did you have a premium account? If so, did you let your payments lapse without downgrading your account to basic FIRST.

A basic account is left untouched no matter how long you take a break for, indefinitely according to the wiki. Otherwise if you have let your payment lapse on a premium account, LL will wipe it. Only you can know what happened here, and it should be simple to figure out. When you came back, did you simply log on to your old account or did you have to contact LL and pay to have it restored?

hi there...

I never had a paid account... just a free one. I only had one avatar. I did a fresh uninstall and reinstall several times as well. Tried the old viewer and now im back att he new viewer. Still never worked. I just dont know where everything went. Its all starting from scratch. Its as if the new avatar is just saved and overwritten the old.

You CAN'T overwrite an accountname. Just to make it clear: You can't pick a name that is already taken. You can't take a lastname on a new account. And a viewer has nothing to do with your accountinformation, cause a viewer is only a client to acess the virtual world. Everything else is stored on LL servers somewhere.

And what do you mean with you only have one avatar? Do you mean by that only one skin, one shape and so on? Or do you still want to say, that you only got one account? If thats the case, wheres the problem? Since you can't overwrite an account yourself and you are on your old account you....there should be everything in your inventory. If create a new account, then its not a mirracle why you look different now.

Please tell us step by step in detail what you did after your idea to come back to SL. Otherwise we can't figure out what might be wrong, cause like I said, you can't overwrite something thats under LLs controll.

With Second Life official viewer 3.2, the design of the viewer changed a great deal. Before viewer 3.2, the viewer had a "side bar" that pops out, and had two modes "Basic" and "Advanced". Basic mode was the default, and when you were in it you could not access your inventory folders. Since viewer 3.2 came out sometime in November 2011 I think, the side bar is gone and the two modes have been combined into one "Unified" mode.

What viewer are you using? Is it prior to viewer 3.2? If it is before viewer 3.2 you may just be in "Basic" mode. If you are in "Basic" mode, switch to "Advanced" mode in Me -- Preferences, then log out and restart the viewer. Even better, download and install the new version of the viewer, which has only one mode.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Introduction-to-Viewer-version-3-2/ta-p/1238073

Well I have one avatar meaning, yes, 1 account. Ive tried everything. Im at a loss. So starting her all over again now. trying to make linden now, 'cause my avatar is just horrible looking lol. Just looking at the bright side of things. I know, there should be no reason why she would be gone, doesnt make sense. well, like I said, trying to look on the nright side of starting a fresh new character.

I even tested it right now by myself. Logged in at my first account I had when I first tried SL and went away on the same day, cause I was frustrated :matte-motes-stress: Well, even after nearly two years my little noobie avatar was just at the same point where I left her. Nothing changed.

Nikitaa Carter wrote:

Well I have one avatar meaning, yes, 1 account. Ive tried everything. Im at a loss. So starting her all over again now. trying to make linden now, 'cause my avatar is just horrible looking lol. Just looking at the bright side of things. I know, there should be no reason why she would be gone, doesnt make sense. well, like I said, trying to look on the nright side of starting a fresh new character.

you could try going on the beta server to see if it shows up there..

there used to be a way to get a lost inventory that way..

let me see if i can find the thread where we had how to do it..it's been awhile since  that thread..and i think you get only one chance at getting it right..so let me see if i can find that thread before you go and get into the beta grid..

or if someone else may remember how to do it that way they coudl post it up..

oh and someone also at one point suggested to count back to how many days ago it was to when you created the account and put that number of days or the most days you can enter in the inventory filters to see if maybe that jars something loose..

it could be that they had switched from the old inventory system to the new inventory system and just need to have your inventory locate your stuff with a filter search..

it's worth a try also..

ok found the beta grid recovery option

look at the 3rd post down on this thread link..

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Inventory/Missing-Inventory/qaq-p/690812

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.