When I am typing on my computer key board why?

MariahWhispers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Typing Animation.

You can turn it off in your preferences. You cannot turn the other persons typing animations off though. You can also replace your typing animation with cuter animations if you want.

To turn the typing animation off go to Preferences > Chat > Uncheck the Play Typing Animations When Chatting 

I always thought this was a silly way to show people were typing. It's very literal, so much so it kinda defeats the whole illusion SL builds up, the whole reason people like it as a fantasy/entertainment environment.

I picked uop a bunch of "talking gesture" animations and recorded some simlish voice clips and I use those to replace the typing sound and animation.

I must say that I kind of like that there is some feedback when somebody types in general chat.

I find it odd if a person types and there is no indication of the typing going on. When we speak in RL, we make gestures at the same time, the lips move, the head moves, and often the hands move too.

Why there is a need in SL to hide all the feedback? That's what I don't understand.

Coby Foden wrote:

I must say that I kind of like that there is some feedback when somebody types in general chat.

I find it odd if a person types and there is no indication of the typing going on. When we speak in RL, we make gestures at the same time, the lips move, the head moves, and often the hands move too.

Why there is a need in SL to hide all the feedback? That's what I don't understand.

I agree. I like to know if someone is typing around me, otherwise I may not be paying any attention to chat and totally miss someone talking. Replacing the typing with some other feedback is one thing (though being an oldbie {no... Haldir is my youngest alt.. by years lol} the typing animation is to me, a part of the charm of SL) totally turning it off just feels broken to me.

I agree, too. There should be both a visual and audio cue that someone is typing. I just don't think the avatar mimicking typing on a keyboard is the best solution. I prefer the videogame approach that avatars "speak", even if it's gibberish, it's more immersive and gives SL more character.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.