PE Cost of Sculpted Prims now being adjusted as per Mesh???

Van Auster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I observed the following unexpected behavior when incorporating mega size sculpted prims and mesh prims in a regular prim building:

Specifics:  15x18M building.  Walls, floors and ceilings made with regular prims.  Mesh windows, door frames and moldings.  Unlinked: 77Prims.  Linked:  36Prims.  Introduced three sculpted beams with bounding box measuring 20 x 5 x 0.300M for each.  Three sculpted beams = 3 Prims.  Linking these 3 sculpted prims to the buildings causes the PE cost to jump from 36 to 80!  As a test I scaled down each set of beams to 4 x 5 x 0.300M and relinked these to the building.  PE cost jumped from 36 to 40 as expected.  I then started scaling up the sculpted prims and once they passed 10M, the PE costs again began to skyrocket.

I'm wondering if this is officially documented and now-to-be expected behavior from sculpted prims?  In the past, prior to mesh, 3 sculpted prims would have equaled 3 prims regardless of size.  Are we now being penalized for using mega sized sculpties?

Thanks, and regards - Van

hibit Spad wrote:

When you link mesh objects with anything else all items start being counted as if they were mesh.  So prims, which are in fact vertice heavy, have their costs go skyhigh. the same result for sculpts.

So don't link mesh items with anything else.

Not completely true. If you link "vertice low" objects to your mesh, you will benefit. Boxes have a landimpact of 0.5 prims for example.

The behaviour described by the OP when objects get bigger is also correct. The bigger an object, the further away you need to be for the LOD to switch to a lower model. So more people will have to render the object. Hence the higher count. Sculpts are very inefficient in almost all cases. 2048 triangles with almost 1000 vertices is not often needed for the shape they make. So if the sculpt is smaller than 64 meters, better replace it with mesh. If it's bigger, do not link. (And don't overuse).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.